German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FREDERICK COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL, FREDERICK, MD

This handsome boy <span style="color: #FF0000">WILL ABSOLUTELY BE KILLED</span> if he does not go out to rescue. <span style="color: #FF0000">He is not available for adoption, the shelter will only release him to a rescue!!!!!</span>

Rocky is only 15 or so months old and has spent much of his time tied to a tree. He has lived in a family with children and another dog. His main problem is that he is TERRIFIED!!!!!

He came up to me very friendly before I took these pictures, which I begged to do so I could put his face out there for all to see. He licked my hand but he has some phobic behaviors, some of which have already relaxed as a result of no longer being around abusive humans.

He had been scared to have someone reach for his collar, to have a leash put on him, to have his fur plucked out (he is shedding a little), scared to be touched, and reacted by lunging and snapping. The tech in question backed away but he continued. Then she turned around to face the wall and he stopped.

That was his first day in the shelter when he was incredibly terrified. He has made a lot of progress in that short time, less than a week. As you can see in the one photo, the tech is scratching his butt which he has learned is nice to have done! But only a few of us at the shelter understand GSDs and how poorly they can present in these circumstances and we are fighting to buy him some time!!!

I believe that Rocky, just like my formerly phobic GSDs (one with the same name) only need to see that humans can be good and kind. He has already learned many positive things since coming into the shelter, like that his kennel will be cleaned every day, that he will be fed every day, that he won't be left out during thunder or electrical storms, that he is safe, that he is being taken care of by responsible humans! This means a lot to him and now he approaches people in a friendly manner and licked my hand! But he needs you to be patient while he reprograms his neurons.

My top notch vet said that my guy Rocky just need a brief period on Prozac or Clomipramine to suppress his anxiety and reset his brain. We did not give my guy this and after only a couple of months, he had lost most of his phobic behavior which included screaming when I'd put my arms around him. Now I hug him tight and he washes my face! This Rocky only needs a little bit of time and TLC and he will be a wonderful, fantastic dog! You can see it in his eyes. There is no doubt.

If you are interested in adopting Rocky, please contact one of the rescues that our shelter works with. If you are not with a rescue, DO NOT CONTACT the shelter and harass them or criticize them for not making Rocky available for adoption or it will be a sure death sentence and it will be your fault! He is being kept in quarantine. PM me and I will tell you which rescues to contact and tell them that you want Rocky! Then hopefully, they will pull him.

I run a multi-species animal sanctuary which includes two GSDs and I am offering to donate the cost of putting Rocky on clomipramine to fast track his rehabilitation and I am also OFFERING TO TRANSPORT HIM TO THE RESCUE.

If you are one of the rescues that our shelter releases to and you can take him on those conditions, then please contact the shelter IMMEDIATELY!!!!

(I am also sending this post to those rescues) but some may see it here first.

He has only begun to see the positive traits of humans and the more he sees of this, the more his heart is opening every single day BECAUSE HE'S A GREAT DOG. But the shelter does not have enough resources OR SPACE to rehabilitate this dog and neither will they adopt him out without knowing with 100% certainty that qualified people will be doing this and the only way they can be sure that happens is to have him go to the people who will understand him best - a GSD rescue.

Look into these eyes and you can see the little puppy heart that yearns to be loved and have faith in humans, to lie on the hearth and happily watch his family every night, to have the chance to blossom his great big GSD soul while he's still in this body.

<span style="color: #FF0000">BUT HE DOESN'T HAVE MUCH TIME - THE CLOCK IS TICKING.</span>

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: Frederick, MD - Rocky, M 15mos. B&T

This poor, poor little guy. He has such a sad, scared look in his eyes. Heidi had very similar problems when we got her. She cried and got really scared when you took her by the collar. She'd whip her head around when you tried to pet her, and she would be really scared of sudden movements. She still won't let us pick her up and probably never will, but she has improved immensely. She's come such a long way since we've gotten her (back in October) and is a wonderful companion. I hope someone can save this boy, give him a secure and loving home, and show him that not human beings are bad.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

He is such a great dog. Those of us there who watch over the GSDs feel the skepticism of others that he is worth salvaging, they just don't understand sheppies at all. But we do. He has so much potential and has made so much progress in less than a week!

I would guess he has until the end of this next week to get out. And if we get another deluge of intakes...

PLEASE HELP HIM!

He just is luxuriating in being taken out for a walk twice a day and then getting to come back inside where it's cool and safe.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ROCKY IS EXTREMELY URGENT. while other dogs being posted here are NOT

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm having a hard time with this one. He was SO friendly and he was never re-evaluated after the first incident. I had a rescue who was willing to take him, it was just a matter of logistics and another day or two.

I have to go in there today and I am going to be fuming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts