German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our girl is about 10 months old. Has been fine in the car until she hit about 5 months ??? She will pull and run to the car FRANTICALLY. Which she doesn’t usually do any other time. Has no problem jumping in the car. But as soon as you close the doors to get in the front seat she loses her mind.
she barks and foams from the mouth and is unconsolable, usually she’s very treat drive. But when we try to feed her in the car she’s too busy barking and lunging at us from the back to eat it.It’s the only time I legitimately fear for my hands ? It’s like she’s possessed .We have tried feeding her breakfast in the Car for a few weeks with no luck.

I don’t know what to do, it’s going to be a major issue since we’re moving from Southern California to Seattle with her in a few months. I don’t want an already stressful trip to be absolute **** with her ...

·
Registered
307 Posts
You are describing an unwanted behavior. I would correct it.
My approach would be to put a training collar on her with a long enough leash to reach your seat.
When she barks, correct. When she quiets down, reward.

You say she is inconsolable....doesn't sound like she needs consoling. You may be unintentionally rewarding her current behavior.

·
Super Moderator
6,698 Posts
Do you mean she pulls towards the car as if she's way over the top excited to ride? If that's the case you must not allow her to start getting amped up before you reach the vehicle. Don't allow her to practice the behavior any longer. Correct her immediately the second she begins to show excitement, have her sit and wait until she's not tense. Move forward again, correct and wait again as many times as you and her can handle it.Stay calm. Then if you manage to reach the car,turn around and go back.When you can make it to the car calmly she's ready to practice being calm in the vehicle. Same thing, correct before she gets excited. Treats will work against what you're trying to accomplish. You want Zen,not stimulation:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had a similar issue with Willow. She still sometimes whines in the car, but she's much better about it. I wait for her to be calm before getting in the car and before we start driving. I wait for her to be calm before I let her out again. I also take her with me on mundane tasks, like going to the store or going to get food, where she never leaves the car until we're back home. To teach her that car rides aren't always super fun.

Time helped.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
You can try desensitizing sometime when you don’t need to drive anywhere. Put your dog in the car for a second, reward for calm behavior, and let the dog out. Then close the door and open it again, let her out. Do this many times until she is completely relaxed. Then open the drivers door but don’t get in and do that until she is calm every time. Then get in and sit down but don’t close the door. Do that many times. Finally, get in, sit down, with the door closed. Get out and reward. Eventually you can build up to driving but it could take hours, day or weeks.

Another solution is to brute force it. Start driving and ignore any bad behaviors. Have another person hold a leash and reward for good behavior. It’s possible your dog gets carsick and feels nauseated. They can outgrow that. Mine did.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, it sounds extreme and you might want to work on that. I can tell you we had a pit that was a basket case the first hour in the car. then he settled down for a cross country ride. He was better after he found out where Burger King came from and they had a drive up! and a cute young person would fuss over him AND hand him a burger. He also thought strutting into hotel lobbies with more fussing like the little prince he was very cool. Try taking him to your favorite hamburger drive up a few times. If he's reasonably well behaved there are stores you can take him into (Home Depot, Petsmart, Wilco). Make sure you make it a 'treat' experience for him. Jake would sit in line and wait for whatever he was getting to be paid for. Have luck.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I took a cross country drive with Shadow. By the end of the second day she was over it and we have had no further issues. She toured three provinces and spent a year or so bouncing around Ontario. The trick was to take her on a drive so long she had to stop because she was exhausted.
On a side note if she is lunging AT you in the car she needs to be crated. That is a danger to you and every one on the road. Drivers need to be focused on driving, not being distracted by dogs, or kids, or phones.
If I can fit a crate in a Sunfire it shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are describing an unwanted behavior. I would correct it.
My approach would be to put a training collar on her with a long enough leash to reach your seat.
When she barks, correct. When she quiets down, reward.

You say she is inconsolable....doesn't sound like she needs consoling. You may be unintentionally rewarding her current behavior.
Ahh when I say unconsolable I mean she doesn’t respond to any stimulus. She doesn’t respond to her name she doesn’t respond to corrections , she doesn’t respond to anything . She just goes feral. I’ve tried being in the back with her and she just SCREAMS for the first five minutes. Then whines the rest.

We can’t practice all the time because we’re parked in a parking garage and her LOUD barks echo and all our neighbors look at us like we’re hurting her .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it sounds extreme and you might want to work on that. I can tell you we had a pit that was a basket case the first hour in the car. then he settled down for a cross country ride. He was better after he found out where Burger King came from and they had a drive up! and a cute young person would fuss over him AND hand him a burger. He also thought strutting into hotel lobbies with more fussing like the little prince he was very cool. Try taking him to your favorite hamburger drive up a few times. If he's reasonably well behaved there are stores you can take him into (Home Depot, Petsmart, Wilco). Make sure you make it a 'treat' experience for him. Jake would sit in line and wait for whatever he was getting to be paid for. Have luck.
We once for two weeks straight took her to a nearby park where we would feed her breakfast and run and throw ball with her and she’s arguably worst now.
she doesn’t care about drive througha either, it just sets her off again. As soon as we slow down the car she starts freaking out again

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
crate?

·
Registered
307 Posts
@Zipra
Take a look at this video. He talks about using a clicker and reward in the opposite of the normal routine and getting good results. It might be worth a try.
If corrections aren't working.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Both my dogs 6 years old and 11 months LOVE the car. I was going out to the gas station, pet store, grocery store and bank this morning so took them with me. If they see me take the key they run right to the car and I for sure can't open the doors with the remote before taking them for a quick pee or they won't leave the car area.

They both jump up like it's the best treat ever but the difference is Rogan (11 mo) pretty much immediately lays down while Harley will stand for an entire 3-4 hour trip and always has.

With the nice weather, they both like to hang their heads out the window and a few weeks ago, Rogan started to bark at dogs on the sidewalk. It took two verbal-only reprimands for him to stop completely.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
We once for two weeks straight took her to a nearby park where we would feed her breakfast and run and throw ball with her and she’s arguably worst now.
she doesn’t care about drive througha either, it just sets her off again. As soon as we slow down the car she starts freaking out again
The problem may be that she is getting too excited about getting to the reward at the end of the drive. A few people posted good ideas about being in the car does not always end with playing in the park. Sometimes it just means being in the car. Sometimes it means just going around the block. Sometimes it means waiting with a human while another human picks up something in the store. And sometimes it means going to the park. My gal-dog used to whine and carry on from excitement. She is much better now. Both of my dogs start barking if they see woods. We consider that they saying "I see woods! We can stop anywhere here and be happy". But then we go past the woods and they calm down again. They have to learn that they won't always get to stop in the wood either (but often they do...just not those woods)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you gotten your car checked out lately? I had a doberman who loved car rides all her life until one seemingly random day around 4 years old when she started getting horribly anxious in the car—panting, whining, couldn't settle. I tried everything and finally thought it must be something in the car...turns out I had a problem with my engine that after I got fixed she went totally back to normal in the car. The only thing I can think of is that it was giving off a bad smell or bad sound that I wasn't aware of, but that bothered her.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
well, my gal-dog made a fibber out of me. The day was so nice that she just made a nuisance of herself on the drive to the state forest. She had to compose herself before I'd let her out of the car. This is the ride back home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts