German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about the dead dogs and cats being put into dog food?
about the life span of a dog really being shortened that dramatically?

I went to the vet the other day and when I told her I was considering RAW/BARF she said I should wait until he is older to try out extreme diets? but after watching this I am thinking about doing it this week!

here is the link: The Shocking Truth About Commercial Dog Food Revealed!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I tend to not believe anyone who has an ulterior motive to what they are saying. He is trying to get you to buy his product so obviously everything else is horrible and unsafe for your dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Decide for yourself. It's not hard to find out if you do research online.

The Shocking Truth About Commercial Dog Food

http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/are-ingredient-definitions-allowing-loopholes-to-quality

If your vet called the raw diet extreme, I would find another vet.

^^^What Sunflowers said....^^^

Raw is the only food my puppy Havoc's breeder Tracy Bullinger recommends.....My Vet and the main tech Lisa over there think raw is the best way to go also. But like she said most people don't have time to do it. I use Orijen large breed puppy which they say is wonderful if you are feeding kibble.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already been thinking about raw for some time, I guess this is just a wake up call, and I have done research but this is the first time I have heard some of these really startling facts. I will be putting together a new feeding plan today...

and about the vet.. yeah, I kinda find her annoying to be honest, but sadly it is one of the better ones in my area.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
As far as lifespan being shortened dramatically, in my experience, that is not true.
I had a small dog who lived to 18 1/2 and he was kibble fed. Half of his life he was on Science Diet, until I learned better.

If you like your vet, keep your vet. Just don't tell her what you feed the dog. Say "natural food." :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Not going to lie I believe it:(

It's not the reason I switched to raw & I don't believe all kibble is the same but some....ugh...

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I have already been thinking about raw for some time, I guess this is just a wake up call, and I have done research but this is the first time I have heard some of these really startling facts.
I can relate. That is what made me turn to raw. I saw a very shocking video and will never be able to forget it.
That, and the thread about before and after raw photos on this forum. I actually came to this forum looking for the best kibble!:wild:

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is absolutely nothing 'extreme' about a RAW diet, my own dog has been on it since he was 4 months old and is thriving. Honestly, there is a lot to be said for knowing, and being the source of, what your dog eats.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, I used to do some work for a rendering plant. A rendering plant is a big stew pot for dead farm animals and sometimes dead pets. The animals are stewed down and cooked for a long time. The different by-products are used for different things. The protein goes into animal feed, including some dog foods. I always thought it strange that cows ate dead cows.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Well, I used to do some work for a rendering plant. A rendering plant is a big stew pot for dead farm animals and sometimes dead pets. The animals are stewed down and cooked for a long time. The different by-products are used for different things. The protein goes into animal feed, including some dog foods. I always thought it strange that cows ate dead cows.
:sick:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
When i got Zelda the lady was feeding her Purina (which is crap) and so I had a bag of Healthwise (which im not a fan of) but she has a very senstive stomach and did really well on it. I did however decided to upgrade a bit to Blue Buffalo.
Do you guys think Blue Buffalo is safe?

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
I think there are a lot of fear tactics in everything. A bag of quality dog food is not going to send your dog to an early grave. Nor is a raw diet.

I can only tell you my experience with RAW. I have healthy animals, confirmed with exams and bloodwork, and one Boxer who is 13 years, 7 months which is virtually unheard of. My vet feels her age is attributed to her diet.

But along with the food are other factors...genetics, over-vaccination, etc. So all I can say is don't get to panicked over one thing. Look at the whole picture.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I went to the vet the other day and when I told her I was considering RAW/BARF she said I should wait until he is older to try out extreme diets?http://www.healthy-k9.com/secure/vreport2.php?hop=eri777
Personally, I would find another vet.

Raw is not "extreme" and a dog doesn't have to be a specific age in order to be switched.

My pack and when they were introduced to raw:

Winnie the Corgi mix - switched when she was around a year old or so. She is now 14 yrs old.

Mauser the GSD - switched when I brought him home at 8 weeks of age. He is now 5.5 years old.

Kaynya the pregnant Chinese Crested - switched when I brought her home at 9 weeks of age. She is now 6 years old.

Spike the Chinese Crested - weaned directly to raw. He is now 4.5 years old.

Fuego and Clark the Chinese Cresteds - also weaned directly to raw. They are both 3 years old.

Wasabi the Chinese Crested - weaned to raw and is now 2 years old.

Kaynya's latest batch of babies will be weaned to raw starting at 4 weeks of age.

The oldest dog I've switched to raw was Sadie. The vets estimated her age to be around 15 when I adopted her.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Researched this many years ago and found it to be absolutely true! :eek:
I think genetics has a lot to do with lifespan. Might.....Might Not....Ya jess don't know and can't predict! So the "cleaner" the food......the better the chance the dog has (IMHO).
Here are some Oregon Vets from the American Holistic Veterinarian Membership Assoc. You'd get a better reception and guidance for raw food from one of these vets and a natural holistic approach to health.
Good Luck! :)

Chattigre, Lauren

DVM
CASCADE SUMMIT ANIMAL HOSPITAL
503-655-1722
22320 SALAMO RD
West Linn
OR
United States
www.cascadesummitvets.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CSU), Acupuncture (IVAS), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy-Classical, Nutrition, Reiki, VOM, Western Herbs
Eddy, Chicory

DVM
Powell Blvd. Veterinary Clinic
503-236-1834
3654 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture
Fricke, Matthew

DVM
MCKENZIE ANIMAL HOSPITAL
541-747-3859
5303 MAIN STREET
Springfield
OR
United States
mckenzieanimalhospital.com
EXOTIC, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Western Herbs
Griffith, Leslie

DVM
SAGE VETERINARY ALTERNATIVES
541-312-2360
15 NW Franklin
Bend
OR
United States
www.sagevet.com
EQUINE, HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Acupuncture (CSU), Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Nutrition
Hawkins, Charles

DVM
DOGWOOD PET HOSPITAL
503-667-9457
1440 EAST POWELL BLVD
Gresham
OR
United States
www.dogwoodpet.com
EXOTIC, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Nutrition, VOM, Western Herbs
HEASLET, ANETTE

DVM
The Cheerful Vet
541-482-6636
1746 ASHLAND ST
ASHLAND
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Hoberg, Lisa

DVM
HOLISTIC HOUSECALL VETERINARY SERVICE
503-239-5670
3049 NE PACIFIC ST
Portland
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Homeopathy-Classical, Nutrition
Hock, Doreen

DVM
PACIFICA VETERINARY SERVICES
541-345-1608
2777 FRIENDLY STREET
Eugene
OR
97405-2254
United States
www.thehealthypet.net
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Nutrition, Reiki
Jester, Rebecca

DVM, Certified Veterinary Accupuncturist
Natural Healing Veterinary Accupuncture
503-867-3857
Mobile Vet
Portland
OR
USA
www.drjester.com
HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CSU), Glandular Therapy, Massage Therapy, Western Herbs
Judkins, Jeffrey

DVM
541- 702-2288
310 E California St,
Jacksonville
OR
United States
www.animalkindvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homeopathy-Classical, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Madsen, Marnee

DVM, CVA, CVCH
Natural Pet Medicine
541-343-5488
3080 POWELL STREET
Eugene
OR
United States
HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs (Chi Institute), Chinese Herbs (IVAS), Clinical Nutrition, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Radebaugh, Elise

DVM
HEALING PAWS WELLNESS CENTER
541-344-4640
160 E. 18TH AVE
Eugene
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CSU), Bach Flowers, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Rosen, Kelli

DVM
CASCADE ANIMAL CLINIC
541-741-1992
671 W. CENTENNIAL BLVD
Springfield
OR
United States
www.drkellirosen.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs
Salido, Carla

DVM
CARLA SALIDO, DVM
541-686-0101
4175 E. AMAZON PARKWAY
Eugene
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (Chi Institute), Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Craniosacral therapy, Osteopathy
SHAW, SCOTT

DVM
Westside Pet Hospital
541-678-5440
133 SW Century Dr. #102
Bend
OR
United States
www.westsidepethospitalbend.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Homeopathy-Classical, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Starita, Donna

DVM
A PLACE FOR HEALING
503-658-0316
25090 SE HENNINGSEN RD
Damascus
OR
United States
www.donnastarita.com
EQUINE, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (CHI), Applied Kinesiology, Bach Flowers, Chiropractic, Clinical Nutrition, Color Therapy, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Magnetic Therapy, NAET, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Swartz, Ann

DVM
HOUSECALLS
541-944-4122
P.O. BOX 813
Phoenix
OR
United States
EQUINE, FARM, HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Homeopathy, Nutrition
Ulbrich, Robert

VMD
HOLISTIC PET VETERINARY CLINIC
503-293-6666
11505 SOUTHWEST PACIFIC HWY
Tigard
OR
97223-8681
United States
www.holisticpetvetclinic.com
AVIAN, EXOTIC, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic (HOWC), Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy (AVH), Nutrition, Reiki, Western Herbs
Wagner, Cornelia

DVM
Hawthorne Veterinary Clinic
503-233-2332
1431 SE 23rd Avenue
Portland
OR
United States
www.hawthornevet.com
EXOTIC, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Weingardt, Keith

DVM
2834 SE 69th Street
Portland
OR
United States
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Chiropractic (AVCA), Homotoxicology, Massage Therapy, Nutrition, Western Herbs

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I learned about rendering and what they do with dead pets after they are euthanized when I took an animal health course back in 1989. They do NOT go into dog and cat food, at least not legally, unless they have changed the regulations since then. Meat and bone meal is made from animals raised for food. It must be labeled differently if it contains euthanized pets, roadkill, or other animal sources. The non-food animals are generally recycled into cosmetics, candles, soaps, glue, and other things you wouldn't ingest.

So, unless you are buying the cheapest, nastiest, generic kibble, you shouldn't worry about dogs and cats going into it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
idk freestep, after some of the reading I have been doing, It seems like legally there are a lot of loop holes for all sorts of things and big company's can get away with a lot.

What do you guys think about the fact that the same rendering plants that are putting euthanize companion animals, road kill, and other proteins not fit for consumption being shipped to china's fish farms where they are fed that vile stuff all while festering in sewage and what not, then those fish coming over here and end up on our plates?
the rendering company's don't dispute that they do that.

as for the vet thing, I know! but the ones you are mentioning in Portland are the closest to my location and are still over 40 minutes away, believe me I looked into it, but if there was an emergency I would rather take my pup down the street to someone I know, even if they don't completely agree with my ideals.

and its not like they could stop my from feeding raw... I am thinking about asking next time I go in what they do with there euthanized animals.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that if it's a named meat (chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, etc.) you should be fine.

If it's vague (meat meal, meat and bone meal), then you probably have legitimate reason to believe there are euthanized dogs, cats, and zoo animals in your pet's food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts