German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Okay... Bandit and I rent a house together with my mother. At the moment my mom is out of town and her husband wakes me up at 2am in the morning because their little dog had I guess been throwing up and pooping blood since that afternoon. I was not aware of that..... Bandit is a inside dog. I fear that her dog has parvo!! What I am freaked about is Bandit has now been exposed to this illness for hours or even days. He has had all three of his puppy 7way shots. Is there anything else I can do to protect him from getting it besides separating him by placing him outdoors? I feel so bad to have to put him outdoors because he has not spent a night outside the whole time he has been with me. I feel I am being mean but like a mother that wants to protect her child what else am I to do to protect him?!:eek:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
At Bandit's age, if he's been vaccinated for parvo, it's very unlikely that it's parvo. Any dog with repeated vomiting and bloody diarrhea is a very sick dog and needs an emergency trip to the vet, not night outside.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Make sure the other dog gets to the vet - I'd be more worried about that dog for now!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Hope Bandit will be okay, but how's your mom's dog doing? What did the vet say was wrong with him?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At Bandit's age, if he's been vaccinated for parvo, it's very unlikely that it's parvo. Any dog with repeated vomiting and bloody diarrhea is a very sick dog and needs an emergency trip to the vet, not night outside.
Bandit is not the one sick it's my mothers dog. An unfortunately he didn't make it. I am just worried about bringing Bandit in the house that he will catch it. My moms room is right next to mine and they walk right in front of my room along as through out the whole house. I am worried that Bandit will catch it. Right now she has her other dogs out in the hall in front of our rooms, and they were exposed directly to it. As soon as I found out her dog was sick I placed Bandit outdoors so he wasn't directly in the area the illness was. Yet I don't know how long the puppy was carrying the illness or how he even got it because my moms dogs are very small and she doesn't take them outdoors very often. She took her dog two days ago to walmart with her and someone complemented her on him and patted him for a second we are wondering if that is how he got the illness. In the mean time I am worried about Bandit catching it. I feel horrible that my moms dog caught parvo but I have no control over her choices she makes for her dogs. I however do have a choice with Bandit and am trying to keep him safe. But it is so unfair to have him outdoors in the cold, I feel terrible because he is a indoor dog. But I know that parvo is extremely contagious and that chances are slim for survival. What I am not sure about is how to properly care for Bandit to keep him as safe as possible from catching this illness. I am doing the best thing I know to do right now which is keep him as far away from the infected area, and that's outside being that parvo is air born as well.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Bandit is not the one sick it's my mothers dog. An unfortunately he didn't make it. I am just worried about bringing Bandit in the house that he will catch it. My moms room is right next to mine and they walk right in front of my room along as through out the whole house. I am worried that Bandit will catch it. Right now she has her other dogs out in the hall in front of our rooms, and they were exposed directly to it. As soon as I found out her dog was sick I placed Bandit outdoors so he wasn't directly in the area the illness was. Yet I don't know how long the puppy was carrying the illness or how he even got it because my moms dogs are very small and she doesn't take them outdoors very often. She took her dog two days ago to walmart with her and someone complemented her on him and patted him for a second we are wondering if that is how he got the illness. In the mean time I am worried about Bandit catching it. I feel horrible that my moms dog caught parvo but I have no control over her choices she makes for her dogs. I however do have a choice with Bandit and am trying to keep him safe. But it is so unfair to have him outdoors in the cold, I feel terrible because he is a indoor dog. But I know that parvo is extremely contagious and that chances are slim for survival. What I am not sure about is how to properly care for Bandit to keep him as safe as possible from catching this illness. I am doing the best thing I know to do right now which is keep him as far away from the infected area, and that's outside being that parvo is air born as well.
First, as everyone has said, Bandit has had his vaccinations and is old enough to be protected from parvo.

Second, keeping him outside is not the best thing you can do for him. Leaving a dog who is used to living inside outside in the cold is stressful and stress depresses the immune system. And again, there is no reason to leave him outside as he has been properly vaccinated against parvo.

Are you sure your mom's dog died of parvo? Was her dog vaccinated? If you had a vet diagnosis then you need to sterilize your home or you and the other people in the house could become carriers of parvo.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Agreed, what does the vet say? The vet should know if Bandit is protected by now or not. And you should be bleaching your home right now.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm so sorry about your mother's dog!!!

IMHO I'd let Bandit back in the house. If it is parvo he's already been exposed. If your mom's dog went outside, the virus is already out there. And most important, if Bandit's been vaccinated for parvo he should be okay.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is EXTREMELY rare for an older, healthy dog to get parvo. I would be much more worried about any other young dogs in the house.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She never took her dog to the vet. But she's had quiet a few dogs in the past 25 years die from parvo to know it's parvo. I did bring Bandit in the house yesterday. He looked so sad, so I spent the whole day bleaching and I did my room extremely well. I washed everything I could think of he would come in contact with his dog bed, bowls, my floors, his kennel, and so on. I now have him in my room with me. He is use to free roaming the house but where my mom still has her dogs roaming the house and they came in direct contact with it I want to keep him at a distance. I spend a good part of my day in my room any ways and its big enough for him to enjoy life and not be confined to a small space. Plus he is back in the heat! So far so good. I am still watching him like a hawk and making sure to give him his vitamins.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is EXTREMELY rare for an older, healthy dog to get parvo. I would be much more worried about any other young dogs in the house.
Bandit still just a baby himself though. He's only 9 month old, so I still am worried he will get it. He has been vaccinated for parvo he's had all 3 of his puppy shots though.:thumbup:

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
If your dog is vaccinated against parvo, you should be fine.
Unfortunately, that is NOT true. They can still get it pretty much up till they are about 18 months old. Vaccinated or not. A friend of ours lost his very healthy (and already vaccinated agaisnt Parvo) 7 months old puppy to Parvo for walking him at the vet clinic in the front yard where all the sick dogs go to the bathroom. :nono:

If your mom has adult dogs and they have come in contact with the sick puppy they can be carriers of Parvo even though it won't affect them. I would bleach the areas where the sick puppy was as as best as you can and keep him away from the other dogs for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Unfortunately, that is NOT true. They can still get it pretty much up till they are about 18 months old. Vaccinated or not. A friend of ours lost his very healthy (and already vaccinated agaisnt Parvo) 7 months old puppy to Parvo for walking him at the vet clinic in the front yard where all the sick dogs go to the bathroom. :nono:

If your mom has adult dogs and they have come in contact with the sick puppy they can be carriers of Parvo even though it won't affect them. I would bleach the areas where the sick puppy was as as best as you can and keep him away from the other dogs for at least 2 to 3 weeks.
Yeah my dog goes car to door to car at vets, no bush or grass stopping at all. In addition, there are instances where vaccines do not take for one dog as well as another, due to lot of vaccine or the dogs general immune response to it.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
So your mom never takes her dogs to the vet and she didn't take this sick dog either and he just died at home?! Why does she have them when she either can't or won't take care of them?!

·
Registered
936 Posts
She never took her dog to the vet. But she's had quiet a few dogs in the past 25 years die from parvo to know it's parvo. I did bring Bandit in the house yesterday. He looked so sad, so I spent the whole day bleaching and I did my room extremely well. I washed everything I could think of he would come in contact with his dog bed, bowls, my floors, his kennel, and so on. I now have him in my room with me. He is use to free roaming the house but where my mom still has her dogs roaming the house and they came in direct contact with it I want to keep him at a distance. I spend a good part of my day in my room any ways and its big enough for him to enjoy life and not be confined to a small space. Plus he is back in the heat! So far so good. I am still watching him like a hawk and making sure to give him his vitamins.
Quite a few die from parvo? I take it she does nothing t care for their health, including vaccines. That makes her dogs a walking time bomb for any other dogs, including you taking their diseases out on your shoes to other places, homes, etc to possibly infect other peoples dogs....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts