German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wild:About 6 months ago I got an 18 month old beautiful GSd sable male from Czech working line. 6 days ago against my personal feeling I had Almo neutered as the vet and everyone I spoke with told me the dog will be happier, healthier & less frustrated - he is not breeding material. My problem is that his scrotum is still swollen 6 days post surgery. Almo is wearing an Eliz. collar when alone in the house and we go for short walks as the vet instructed. Almo is used to a lot of exercise and is going NUTS from lying around and no exercise. He is eating well and feeling 100% it seems BUT the swelling bothers me more then him. I believe I'm probably projecting my feelings on him. Has anyone had similar problems. The vet told me over the phone that swelling is pretty common and that if the dog is eating, acting healthy and not feeling pain in the scrotum not to worry. However, I worry like **** and lose sleep as I don't know if I made the right decision to neuter. I really would appreciate some feedback from anyone with a similar experience/feelings who can tell me how long this swelling can last & anything else I should know. Frankly, I don't trust vets here in NYC as all they seem to care about is $$ and I want to avoid any further provcedures like draining etc...unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you all.:help:

Sept2749
Rich

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Did you ask the vet about using either warm or cold compresses on the area (I have heard of people using both)? Did they see the swelling so they could say normal or no?

When my GSD was spayed years ago, she had what could have been a seroma, or an infection. I could not tell by looking because I am not a vet. I took her in, and it was infected - glad I took her in. Puppy foster last year - same thing - took her in, seroma. Both times, no charge for the peek.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
We had Kaiser neutered when he was 3 1/2 yrs old and the vet told us to keep him quiet for a few weeks afterward to avoid fluid collecting in the scrotum. He said the bigger the testicles at the time of neuter, the more likely it is that fluid can collect in the scrotum after the surgery.

Kaiser loves to play also, and taking him for short little walks and doing nothing else wasn't easy, but that's what we did and he never developed a lot of swelling or fluid collection.

I think a little swelling is normal, but if his scrotum keeps getting larger or if it doesn't start going down a little, I'd take him back to the vet and let him/her take a look at it.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I agree with Jean...if you are concerned...have the vet take a peak. In my experience...post surgery...my vet has always required a post op look see anyway...no charge.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
This is one of the drawbacks to neutering older dogs and this is a fairly common problem. Your vet is correct in that so long as he feels fine and doesn't seem in pain, to just watch it. You can try putting on alternating warm and cool compresses. Once swollen, this will take weeks to come back down.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sigurd was swollen for over a week when he got neutered (he was a year when I did it, also if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have done it). I had the Vet take a peek, and she said that fluid was filling up the area, and it was normal and not to worry (as long as he wasn't in pain). So I didn't worry and everything seemed to work out just fine.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We had our Golden neutered when he was older. He was swollen for at least a week afterwards. However, he didn't seem too bothered by it and it wasn't warm to the touch. The swelling didn't get bigger each day, just stayed pretty much the same. Then it seemed as if it was gone over night.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had this happen to a Boxer, the vet had to drain a little fluid from the scrotum, not a big deal though after that he was fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I'm going to bring him over to the vets tonight. A "vet tech" will take a look and let me know if we need to see the vet.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
if your gone from the house, while he is alone, he might be jumping around like a mad man, that will aggravate the situation, talk to your vet about the compress`s, I had one that was nutered at 7 years old, had to use warm compress`s and sedate him when i was leaving the house

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Ray & Kaiser. I'm watching him carefully and doing exactly what the vet says. Meanwhile Almo is in no discomfort whatsoever. He's ready to go as soon as the vet says OK. However, I'm a wreck!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
When Niko was neutered, we let him overdo it and he swelled up. I called the vet and got the same response as others have stated. He was a little bit uncomfortable, but eager to eat and move around. Too eager, as it turned out. We ended up crating him for about a week or so after he swelled up. It wasn't horrible swelling, maybe just a bit bigger than he was pre-op. He didn't need a collar because we were home with him all the time and could tell him not to lick and he'd stop.

Can you see the incision? Do you see a pus discharge? Does it feel hot? These could be signs of infection. I never tried the cold compress, but it sounds like a good idea if you can manage to do it.

I'd say if it is bothering you enough to lose sleep, just take him to the vet for a quick check. He's probably fine, but it will help your peace of mind.

And there is no sense in second guessing what you did, since it can't be undone. Many, many of us choose to neuter. It's not like you did anything radical. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is one of the drawbacks to neutering older dogs and this is a fairly common problem. Your vet is correct in that so long as he feels fine and doesn't seem in pain, to just watch it. You can try putting on alternating warm and cool compresses. Once swollen, this will take weeks to come back down.
Thank you Elaine. That's what I figured. Almo is fine - I'm the one with the problem:). He's so "antsy" and depressed but in 5 days he should be good to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if your gone from the house, while he is alone, he might be jumping around like a mad man, that will aggravate the situation, talk to your vet about the compress`s, I had one that was nutered at 7 years old, had to use warm compress`s and sedate him when i was leaving the house
Ken, I think he's just lying around calmly when I'm out. However, he's not so calm when we go for a walk. He's very "antsy" and in need of his regular 2 hrs. of daily exercise - Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When Niko was neutered, we let him overdo it and he swelled up. I called the vet and got the same response as others have stated. He was a little bit uncomfortable, but eager to eat and move around. Too eager, as it turned out. We ended up crating him for about a week or so after he swelled up. It wasn't horrible swelling, maybe just a bit bigger than he was pre-op. He didn't need a collar because we were home with him all the time and could tell him not to lick and he'd stop.

Can you see the incision? Do you see a pus discharge? Does it feel hot? These could be signs of infection. I never tried the cold compress, but it sounds like a good idea if you can manage to do it.

I'd say if it is bothering you enough to lose sleep, just take him to the vet for a quick check. He's probably fine, but it will help your peace of mind.

And there is no sense in second guessing what you did, since it can't be undone. Many, many of us choose to neuter. It's not like you did anything radical. :)
Thank You "Good Karma". The wound is healing very nicely- not hot, not red, no discharge, no fever - eating well and ready to run 5 miles. Almo will listen to me when I tell him not to lick and when I'm not around he wears his dreaded e-collar. God, he hates that thing. I'm pretty sure everything is fine except me - I'm truely a wreck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sigurd was swollen for over a week when he got neutered (he was a year when I did it, also if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have done it). I had the Vet take a peek, and she said that fluid was filling up the area, and it was normal and not to worry (as long as he wasn't in pain). So I didn't worry and everything seemed to work out just fine.
Thank you and Sigurd for your response. I appreciate it. I think Almo is going through the same thing and I doubt I'd do it again. It's very traumatic and much worse then the vet made out. I had males dogs in the past and we never nuetered males - times change however and I was told that neutering will make Almo a healthier, happier and less frustrated dog. Sounds great, right? until you see the result during the next few weeks. I know it'll work out in the long run but I do feel guilty as ****. He on the other hand is in no discomfort - just really "antsy" and in need of his usual 2 hrs. per day of exercise

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with Jean...if you are concerned...have the vet take a peak. In my experience...post surgery...my vet has always required a post op look see anyway...no charge.
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately here in NYC the vets seem only interested in $$$$. No free post-op visit. I was told the sutures will disolve and unless there is a complication no office visit is needed. To be fail I was told that I could stop by after work and have a vet tech taske a look and judge if Almo is healing properly or if he should make an appointment to see the vet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you ask the vet about using either warm or cold compresses on the area (I have heard of people using both)? Did they see the swelling so they could say normal or no?

When my GSD was spayed years ago, she had what could have been a seroma, or an infection. I could not tell by looking because I am not a vet. I took her in, and it was infected - glad I took her in. Puppy foster last year - same thing - took her in, seroma. Both times, no charge for the peek.
Thank you for responding Jean. When I called the vet's office they told me to use ice then they told me to use warm compresses then they told me to use cold compresses. Sounds like one of MY doctors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks ken

I saw the vet last night and he said the swelling will go down in a few weeks. He mentioned I could try warm compresses which I started last night. I really think I mad a mistake in haveing himd fixed but forward from here! Thank you for responding.

Rich sept2749

1 - 19 of 19 Posts