German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was an interesting thought that crossed my mind tonight.

Two mornings ago I woke up and took Pip outside. Jon had already left for work, and when I went to the back door the slider was cracked a few inches. I thought maybe he just didn't get it all the way closed when he took Frag out in the morning and closed it and continued on. Asked him about it when he got home and he said he hadn't taken Frag out because he didn't wake up. :confused: I asked our roommate if she had used the door by some strange coincidence and she of course hadn't. The last one to use it the night before was I, after taking Frag for a run at 9pm. I was in the living room (where the slider is) for at least an hour afterwards and surely would have felt the breeze if I had left it cracked that far.

So, we were stumped. We almost always lock it, but had I forgotten? It's possible, I was fighting with gloves and Frag's new backpack, plus making sure that Pip didn't get out while I was coming in. But even then, how did the door get open? The only thing we can imagine is that someone in fact did try "breaking" into our house, saw Frag in his cage (his cage is right next to the door) and decided to leave before he started barking, only to forget to close the door behind them. Frag is a decently heavy sleeper, so I can imagine he wouldn't have woken up until someone actually got into the house and started moving.

What do you think? Can you find another logical answer, or is Frag a crime deterant?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
One or the other. We'll never know for sure but I can tell you this though...

Titon and I live in an apartment here in SLC while my wife and kids are back in Colorado since I was able to score a job here that pays very well.

I take Titon out to potty and people will see us and walk faster in the opposite direction. Not sure why as Titon is a sweetheart. Now I've noticed that people will not walk down the hallway where my front door is. Much less, walk pass the patio.

The maintenance man came once to replace the filter and batteries in the smoke detector and forgot to lock the door on the way out. Thank God Titon was here alone. Had I been here, there would have been a dead body in the living room.

I think the maintenance man made a hasty retreat when he finished his project after he saw Titon in his cage.

-E

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Humm that's odd and a bit scary IMO. I've found that Deuce is a good "warning" to anyone who walks past the house that it might be a better idea to move on if they're considering anything shady.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Can't figure out if this is tongue in cheek or...? It's pretty well known that dogs in general, especially large breeds such as GSD's, are a crime deterrent.

Chances are you forgot the door. Heavy sleeper or not, I'm having a lot of trouble invisioning a GSD not waking up and alert barking if someone is coming in the house. Speaking for my dogs personally, they are not barkers in the house. Can't stand houses that have dogs and sound like the SPCA when someone knocks on the door. But they'll alert if I'm not around at the front of the house. They know the difference.

Akira will stay sound asleep on the bed and only lift her head now when my SO's shift ends in the middle of the night. But if even my mother (who they know well) stops by and is walking on the front walkway, all the dogs let me know someone different is here. They know when their "people" are coming home vs someone they don't know or even someone they know but aren't expecting, so to speak. They are more alert to unusual sounds, and certainly your dog knows you're in bed and he's in bed, and someone new is coming in the back door.

JMHO

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Can't figure out if this is tongue in cheek or...? It's pretty well known that dogs in general, especially large breeds such as GSD's, are a crime deterrent.

Chances are you forgot the door. Heavy sleeper or not, I'm having a lot of trouble invisioning a GSD not waking up and alert barking if someone is coming in the house. Speaking for my dogs personally, they are not barkers in the house. Can't stand houses that have dogs and sound like the SPCA when someone knocks on the door. But they'll alert if I'm not around at the front of the house. They know the difference.

Akira will stay sound asleep on the bed and only lift her head now when my SO's shift ends in the middle of the night. But if even my mother (who they know well) stops by and is walking on the front walkway, all the dogs let me know someone different is here. They know when their "people" are coming home vs someone they don't know or even someone they know but aren't expecting, so to speak. They are more alert to unusual sounds, and certainly your dog knows you're in bed and he's in bed, and someone new is coming in the back door.

JMHO
Agreed. Hard to believe a GSD that wouldn't notice a gnat walking outside the door if he/she was nearby.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
The scent of a person so near would trigger my dogs to alert. They usually smell someone before they hear or see them.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Agreed. Hard to believe a GSD that wouldn't notice a gnat walking outside the door if he/she was nearby.
:rofl: I wonder if that is what Max keeps barking at all the time. I swear I see nor hear a thing but off he goes on a tangent!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

JMHO
I know that in general a dog is going to be a deterant in some way, I just never imagine Frag would be or we would be put in the situation. OR that a sleeping dog would be, but I guess it makes sense.

I know that none of us opened the door for a fact. I may have left it unlocked, but I didn't leave it open. My chair is about 6 feet inside the door and I can feel the draft easily when Jon takes Frag out to potty and the door doesn't latch all the way. I would have been freezing to death if I had left the door open that far, and the dogs would have let me know by trying to make a break.

And I know that Frag didn't wake up, or he would have barked. If he had barked, he wouldn't have stopped and I would have woken up like I always do and have to come down to hush him. That didn't happen though. There have been times when I've come home and I can take my shoes off, put my keys on the counter, and walk into the living room to find Frag fast asleep still. He usually doesn't wake unless someone's talking or there's a louder noise. Our slider opening probably wouldn't have woke him. He's not very observant.

*shrugs*

I guess it will remain a mystery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts