German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to post a thread about how elated I was at Frag's behavior over the holidays.

He did amazing! Well, he did really well with a touch of amazing. I expected good behavior, but was slightly worried about his new-found fear aggression and all the people that would be around. He had no issues though with anyone, and upon meeting children up close and personal, decided they weren't too bad either. He got a lot of scraps from people which I didn't mind much (and he didn't either!) since they were good socialization treats for him.

He wore his backpack for a few hours at each christmas (my family's and Jon's family's, two different days) and I think that calmed him down a lot. There were children running and screaming everywhere, doors slamming, people eating, etc. and he didn't miss a beat as far as listening to me and his obedience. Recall was awesome, too. I didn't bother using his leash for potty breaks and just opened the door and went out with him, calling him back and treating as he wandered before finding his spot.

We also introduced him to Jon's uncle at a small christmas get-together later on christmas. Frag stayed in the car for that because he wasn't welcome, but Jon's uncle really wants a GSD and asked if we could bring him into the garage so he could see him. Frag definitely impressed him with his repetoir of tricks and commands and Frag seemed to like him, licking his face and sticking around for pets!

What shocked me the most was that during christmas with Jon's family (the hectic christmas) with 3 kids (1yr-3yr) running around screaming, all the family spread about eating and mingling (30-40 people) Frag decided he knew what Heeling was (have never formally introduced the word) and off-leash heeled PERFECTLY throughout the crowds and various speeds. I had treats in my pocket, but he didn't know that, so I started testing him once I saw what he was doing. I was lookin' a fool, spinning and backing up, slowing down and running about, but he, once again, never missed a beat. Even did Auto-sits when I stopped and kept eye contact. I have NO idea where this came from, but I loved it! He got a jackpot once I released him and didn't stop until I did.

He just never ceases to amaze me. I love him. <3​

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Good job Frag!!!!! Give that boy a big ol hug for me!!! That does sound like he did VERY well. Congrats!!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
YAY Frag!! sounds like you're doing an awesome job with him!!

I think he was showing off with the heeling and eye contact :p Dodger does things like that when other people are watching him, he knows he gets extra attention from them haha

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, thanks. Yeah, it seems like they're always amazing when they know we'd cut them a break for new situations or whatever, but if we're just sitting at home with company, they'll embarrass the crap out of you.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What a good boy Frag is!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts