German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5&1/2 month old GSD puppy, Lola. She fractured a weight bearing toe on her left front paw 3 weeks ago. She was on splint for 2 weeks (got it changed every 5-6 days) and on a bandage wrap for the last week. Finally the bandage was removed and it was seen that she had sores and some infection in her leg due to the splint and bandages. The X-rays show that the fracture has heeled very well and we are advised to not let her jump, run or use stairs. The vet also gave us antibiotics for the infection and pain medicines for her to start using her toe. They said she will be limping for sometime and gradually start to put her weight on her paw due to muscle atrophy. But the concern here is she is showing a Carpal Laxity i.e. her paw is looking flat and she kind of walks on her forearm instead of the tip of the paw and the ankle is bent more than normal. When she was removed from the splint and and put on just bandage, she started to walk on her forearm because she could not walk on her toe, but had a flexibility to use her forearm to walk. After the bandage is removed she is still doing the same. She is limping and refuses to put her weight on her toe, she uses her toe when she is distracted and keeps lifting it when she is conscious of it. The Vet said the Laxity will go in 1-2 weeks and she will start walking straight on her toe, it has been 3 days since the bandage is removed and we do not see any improvement. Please help me with suggestions if anyone else has a similar experience.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
My girl broke the middle toes on her front toot when she was younger. No splints, vets just said limited activity. The bone healed no problem, but on a rare occasion she'll show the slightest hint of favoring that foot. This was 5 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'd follow your vet's advice - give it a couple of weeks to get her used to walking on her foot again. It is normal for dogs to favor the injured foot or leg, even after it has healed - she remembers how painful it was, and is afraid of putting weight on it again. She just needs time to re-adjust and build muscle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! For your advice.... I suppose I will wait for sometime for the sores to heal and for her to gain some of her muscle strength back. I am only concerned about how floppy her toe is due to the carpal laxity and hope the tendons tighten up and straighten out, instead of ending up with some sort of a carpal flexural deformity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I am sorry to hear about your pup. We are experiencing similar at the moment and I have joined the forum looking for advice!

My boy fell and broke his shoulder at 15 weeks, the vets missed it and said it was soft tissue. He was weight bearing on the opposite leg for 6 days when I took him back for xrays. By this time his weight-bearing leg had pretty much bent to a 90degree angle.(I was out of the country)I immediately took him to vet on my return, They xrayd and seen the shoulder broken, the problem was we now had a problem with both legs. They carried out surgery on the broken leg and we had a soft splint made up for the leg with carpal hyperextension. We are 4 weeks later, had the pins removed from surgery, had a plastic mould fitted to the back of the soft splint as it wasn't enough support, this didn't work as it worked it's way up the leg,so we have moved onto a full leg brace that fits under the paw and half way up the leg. He uses it fine but after one day we have a sore. :( I have ordered a product called golden paste. It is a mix of natural products, tumeric glucosamine, coconut oil etc. I have heard good reports about it working for dogs with weak pasterns. The main reason I believe we have carpal hyperextension is due to the diet I had him on. Raw, but not well balanced (I was given a guide by my breeder and never fed raw before, now that I read more in depth and about these problems.) So we have switched to a good quality large breed puppy food. Do you have a picture of your babies leg?

X

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been 3 weeks since Lola got her Splint/Bandage removed, and her leg has started to show improvement. It is straightening out; I must say it has more than 50% recovered. Her pastern is still a little lax, her paw is flatter than normal and her injured leg looks weaker than her left leg, but you can make out the difference only if you observe and compare her legs. Quiet happy to see her progress. She does not feel any pain and being a puppy she loves to jump and play, though I try my best to keep her from jumping but it is impossible at times. Anyways, I know that all I need is time and patience and she will be completely healed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been 3 weeks since Lola's Splint/Bandage has been taken off and I must say she has recovered for than 50%. Her leg is straightening out and you cannot make the difference until you actually observe both her legs. Now I know my girl will completely heal with time and patience (actually lots of patience... phew!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has been 3 weeks since Lola got her Splint/Bandage removed, and her leg has started to show improvement. It is straightening out; I must say it has more than 50% recovered. Her pastern is still a little lax, her paw is flatter than normal and her injured leg looks weaker than her left leg, but you can make out the difference only if you observe and compare her legs. Quiet happy to see her progress. She does not feel any pain and being a puppy she loves to jump and play, though I try my best to keep her from jumping but it is impossible at times. Anyways, I know that all I need is time and patience and she will be completely healed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts