German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a lovely run, my one year old puppy dashed off and was knocked by a truck, who hit and ran. She has a fractured pelvis. Is anyone familiar with the healing process? She didn't have any surgery done, was just told to aid her going outside, and to limit her activity.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Nine years ago, my neighbor's Boxer sustained a fractured pelvis when he was bit by another neighbor's truck. The treatment was six weeks of kennel rest (not an inside dog) and he is still going pretty strong nine years later. The only "side effect" is that he can't jump up to mount female dogs in heat. As an un-neutered, unfenced and un-registered Boxer, I can't say that this is the worst thing that could happen. He is on my front porch most mornings for his special breakfast and hangs out in my yard most afternoons and evenings. No serious side effects and still a very sweet dog.

Shannon

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Quote:
I would request a referral to an ortho vet immediately.
Me too. If this heals right, she'll be fine for life. If not, well...

It's well worth a trip to a orthopedist to confirm that everything that should be done IS being done.

Also, how long are you supposed to limit her activity? How? Were you given specific instructions? What if you can't (because she's an energetic puppy)?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I had a foster that had a fractured pelvis and a femur that did not grow together properly - all from an old injury. Initially we were not aware of this as she showed no limping or other external symptoms.
Occasionally she got cranky at adoption days, in hindsight we ralized she must have been in pain after hours of standing or walking up and down. She was always the first to run down the stairs and she loved to chase the other dogs. After we realized that she had this injury she was put on supplements and we avoided too much walking and exercise. The vet said there was nothing particular to do. I guess she will be more prone to arthritis when she gets older.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
You can use the homeopathic remedy arnica for any muscle trauma that is also occurring with this. For bone trauma, a popular remedy is Symphytum, when my girl had surgery on her pelvis. Other remedies can be found here:

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2201007.html

I might consider making sure that he is getting some raw bone, so that all the good nutritional cofactors are in the diet for healthy bone repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts