German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Things like having different equipment for different activities can build a pattern that the dog understands. A good example is me leaving the camper. First thing in the morning, I'm going to the bath house for a shower. Valor doesn't even get out of bed. I can come and go several times and he doesn't respond to my leaving. If I open the closet where his gear is, he's going out for a break and he's right there by the door. If I turn on the dog music, he knows he's staying so he jumps up on the couch and lays down.

I think recognizing and utilizing these patterns leads to having a dog that always knows what is expected and also knows what to expect.
Buffy knows we have to leave for hours if we put on certain clothing, she will just have a relax face and and lay in bed, sometimes not even bothered to walk us to the door but she has never made any trouble. If I take out my laptop or actually go into the office with the pc, she knows mum is working, she will settle down. Once she sees I take out her water bottle, it's walkies! She won't bother me at all in the morning whilst I am drinking my coffee and reading the paper. She waits patiently for me to get changed but once I put on my socks on, she is all play bowing it's play time! Many many examples like this, I think it's because I keep my promise to her,start with 'let me finish first' with a calm tone, to an exciting tone 'finish'. Give me some peace, once I finish, the first I do is playing with her or taking her out. She understands she has to wait, sometimes take longer but she knows she will always get the fun time eventually.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts