German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got Max to eat willingly!!! On Friday, I purchased a two pound frozen chub roll of ground up raw chicken. I partially thawed it on Saturday afternoon and gave him a small bit, smearing it on his kibble and adding some warm water. He sniffed it once and started eating :). For the first time in months, he did not need all sorts of toppings to get him to eat. I have been adding boiled boneless chicken breasts, cooked hamburger, cheese, cat food, canned dog food, tuna, you name it. Eating was always a struggle and now, he eats quickly and eagerly.

Max has SIBO and has also completed the first week of his tapered Tylan dose with no relapse. So far, very good for this delightful boy.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm glad Max is eating. have you tried feeding
Max with no toppings on his kibble? maybe it's the kibble
he doesn't like. except for the tuna, cat food and the cheese
i feed my dog the same thing. my dog doesn't
like cooked ground beef. when i give him a raw (thawed) 4oz pattie
with his kibble he gobbles it down. sometimes
i "pressure cook" a whole chicken for my dog. when the
chicken is done i roll the bones between my fingers
and they become moosh or grandulated in consistency.
i add a little more water and it makes 2 qts. i freeze a quart and i use a quart.
when you "pressure cook" a chicken you're feeding the whole chicken.
i put 3 or 4 tablespoons on his kibble.

For the first time in months, he did not need all sorts of toppings to get him to eat. I have been adding boiled boneless chicken breasts, cooked hamburger, cheese, cat food, canned dog food, tuna, you name it. Eating was always a struggle and now, he eats quickly and eagerly.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Glad to hear he's eating! Though on the note of him not liking kibble, if he's got SIBO you might not want to mess with his kibble, especially if he's doing well. (So long as he IS eating of course) Fingers crossed for you that he continues to do well!! :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local feed/garden store just began to carry frozen raw foods by Primal Foods. Their website is www.primalpetfoods.com. They have nuggets, patties, raw bones and the ground up flesh and bone in tubes called grinds. Max just had his first two doses of the chicken grind. They also have beef, bison, turkey and sardine.

With Max, I have tried kibble that is chicken-based, salmon-based, turkey-based, bison-based, venison-based, beef-based, etc. He will eat all of it begrudgingly with the toppers that I have been using him to encourage him to eat. He is 30 inches tall and was only 70 pounds when the animal control officer removed him from his last owner. I got him up to 90 pounds and then the frequent diarrhea began. Once his SIBO was diagnosed and I discovered that his diarrhea was not due to his food, the challenge became getting him to eat and eat on a regular basis. There were days that he would only eat two cups of kibble, if he ate at all.

While on the Tylan at full-strength for six weeks, I discovered that he could pretty much eat any protein or carbohydrate. He had no diarrhea at all during the six week period of full strength Tylan and I experimented with all sorts of food ingredients in order to see what it is that he likes to eat. Some days, he will eat one thing and, on the following day, he may not even want to touch it. Gotta love this boy :wub:.

He appears to enjoy the ground up raw chicken and, for what it is worth, he will continue to get it so long as it makes his meal times a pleasant experience for both of us. He has come a long way and I am thrilled that I have finally found something that he seems to really enjoy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - it only worked for three consecutive meals. Now we are back to square one again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sometimes
i "pressure cook" a whole chicken for my dog. when the
chicken is done i roll the bones between my fingers
and they become moosh or grandulated in consistency.
i add a little more water and it makes 2 qts. i freeze a quart and i use a quart.
when you "pressure cook" a chicken you're feeding the whole chicken.
i put 3 or 4 tablespoons on his kibble.

I was just wondering if you could get the same results cooking a chicken in the crock pot all day? Or would the bones not get mushy in a crock pot?
I don't have a pressure cooker.
I do like the idea of using the whole chicken.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I was just wondering if you could get the same results cooking a chicken in the crock pot all day? Or would the bones not get mushy in a crock pot?
I don't have a pressure cooker.
I do like the idea of using the whole chicken.
Yes, but it takes a long time. I put the chicken in with veggies, usually in the evening and cook it all night, then I need to cook it again the next day. Just keep testing the bones.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As an update, Max now eats all of his meals willingly with a piece of raw chicken or turkey (neck, wing, drumstick, thigh or back) in his bowl of kibble. His Tylan has been tapered to 1/4 of the original dose and, with this feeding regimen, he is thriving. Meal times are no longer a struggle and he is now 95 pounds - a gain of 25 pounds since removed from his previous owner and taken to the shelter before I adopted him.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Great to hear!!! :)

Though I do agree with Sable about the raw green tripe for anyone who comes along with picky eaters. And maybe it'd be something Max would enjoy anyways! It even contains natural enzymes for digestion. :)

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Have you thought about switching Max to a completely raw diet?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo was a on again and off again eater until I started feeding him partial raw. I feed raw in the mornings and kibble in the evening. He likes his kibble drowning in water. Don't know why.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have thought about switching Max to a completely raw diet. However, at this time, I have nine dogs and a full time job that keeps me away from home for about 60 hours. With fosters and seniors aplenty, it takes me one hour to feed my nine dogs for each meal, twice daily. It just is not in the cards right now to make the complete switch for him unless he relapses again and it becomes a life and death issue. If Max deteriorates, I know that it is an option and I will expend the energy and expense to obtain a total raw diet for him. Until then, this works and keeps both of us happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts