German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor across the street brought this handsome male to my house, thinking he was mine. He appears to be around 2 years of age, and is extremely friendly. He's skittish at first, but opened up after a few minutes and is very playful. He's around 100 lbs.

I called the Grosse Pointe City police, and they picked him up. They took him to the vet to look for a microchip. He was not wearing a collar.

Please message me, or contact the Grosse Pointe police if you know who he belongs to. He is very well taken care of, and knows basic commands.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,224 Posts
Nice looking dog! I would post on some of the local lost dog pages on FB, please update here when the dog has been connected with owner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fiancée posted him on Facebook in a local group as well, with no luck.

I just located the vet office that he was taken to, and spoke to the receptionist for a few minutes. Unfortunately no one has claimed this boy, and I don't believe he has a microchip. She said that an ad will be posted in the paper this week, and after that he will become available for adoption.

My neighbor across the street who found him is first in line for adoption, if he becomes available. They put me down after him. I currently have a male GSD, and am not sure how the two would get along if I was given the opportunity to adopt.

I will reach out to my breeder, and my dog trainer (who also has a few German Shepherds from the same breeder) to see if they could help re home him if he comes to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please put some signs up in the neighborhood where he was found. Someone is surely missing that dog.
Will do, this is my first time encountering something like this. Should I post the information of the vet office where he is currently located?

·
Registered
518 Posts
There are a few pretty large GSD groups on Facebook that you could take a chance on. One is German Shepherd Owners and the other is German Shepherd Dedicated Owners. Thousands of members, so word can get around with lots of shares.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Yes, posting the vet clinic contact number is what I'd do -- they should be able to handle asking for proof of ownership.

The goal with a found dog is to cover the bases in the places an owner would look: the town animal shelter (if there is one), around the neighborhood, the newspaper, and online. Not all owners can be reached with any one method, so the more methods that you use, the better the chances.

We also just had a holiday weekend, so the chances of an owner being out of town and having a dog sitter are higher than normal. The vet clinic needs to give this some time before they adopt the dog out -- try to keep your focus on getting him home, not on rehoming, as a dog in this kind of well-cared-for shape (glossy coat!) probably has a decent owner out there missing their dog.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
And this is why I never let my dogs go anywhere without 3 forms of ID plus microchip.

Although I can say with near 100% certainty my dogs wouldn't be chilling on someone else's lawn, they'd be looking for me if we had been seperated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't post a picture if you put up signs, have the people be able to describe the GSD they lost, color, sex, collar or no collar, color of collar, etc..
I should avoid including pictures on the local signs I post? I'm not sure if it would help to locate him.

I posted in a Facebook group with all pictures.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

I trust you all on what to put, as I've never handled anything like this.

"Found on Friday 4/14 - Bicolor Male German Shepherd in Grosse Pointe

Currently held at Grosse Pointe Animal Clinic

Must prove ownership upon visiting

(Included Pics)"

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
If someone is looking for him then a simple German Shepherd found will have them calling you. To be able to know it IS his real owner(s), they identify him. This is to keep people who see him, think he looks nice and then call and say 'that's my dog'. You might be surprised at how many will do this. German Shepherds can be expensive, some see it as a way to get a free one. Then how do you prove he isn't their dog? Since you said he was fairly friendly, I would just play it safe. JMHO

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Then how do you prove he isn't their dog?
Even at a public animal shelter they'll usually ask for something to demonstrate ownership. Common ways of doing it are through the owner's pictures of the dog (often cell phone pics), vet records (which list breed and weight, at least), or even breeder purchase records. I've also known shelter staff to use social media -- true owners tend to post a lot of pics of their pets on their page. It's fair to be very, very skeptical of someone who has no documentary records of ownership, and no pictures of a dog anywhere.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
True, just when I ran a rescue it was easy and fast to have them describe the dog and not have to deal with proving ownership.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
The pics are already out there (on FB, etc.), so holding them pack from fliers isn't going to keep the liars from using them -- and there definitely are liars out there, esp. for intact dogs (I'm with you on that).

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Then there should be other identifiers, like anything he is trained to do. The words they used. If he likes certain types of rewards or objects. I wouldn't even say toys. Does he have any skills they can test?

·
Registered
27,224 Posts
You'd think the dog would be the test, how the dog reacts when the actual owner is present. I still am amazed that no one has come forward to claim this dog. He looks well bred.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will get these fliers out in my neighborhood tomorrow. I'm shocked that no one has come forward as well. I want to get him home, I'm sure he misses his family and he is greatly missed too.

I'm planning to keep it simple, not include a description or photos.

Should I post my number on the fliers to filter the calls/texts, or just the vet of where he's located?

·
Registered
27,224 Posts
vet where he is located, you can keep in touch with the vet for updates. If you have this on a fb page, can you share the link so I can share it too? I know a few in that area that may be able to network to find the owner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vet where he is located, you can keep in touch with the vet for updates. If you have this on a fb page, can you share the link so I can share it too? I know a few in that area that may be able to network to find the owner.
Thank you all for your help so far with this.

Yes, absolutely. The Facebook page I posted to is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/germanshepherdownersgroup/?multi_permalinks=1512419865499141&notif_t=like&notif_id=1492473640327371

If some some reason that doesn't work, it's under the Facebook Group 'German Shepherd Owners'. It was posted around 4:00 PM EST today.

I'll keep you all updated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts