German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a almost 6 year old full blooded long hair GS. I just noticed a egg shape and size lump on her belly between two nipples on the same side of her body. It seems to bother her when touched. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? She is NOT fixed.
Thanks Brian and Shiloh

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
it could be alot of things, both benign and cancerous. Please don't wait. Make a vet appt as soon as possible. That's the only way to know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
Take her to the vet. There's no way for anyone on the internet to know for sure, you need to have her seen.

Since she's not spayed she is at increased risk for mammary cancer, but the fact that it's between her nipples seems like a good thing to me. But I'm not a vet, and I don't know much about mammary cancer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
it could be alot of things, both benign and cancerous. Please don't wait. Make a vet appt as soon as possible. That's the only way to know for sure.
benign and cancer are the same thing... malignant is the other word.. but i agree.. how long has it been since you pet her stomach? could it possibly be a hernia if its has just recently occured

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
vet trip is in order for sure. considering she's NOT spayed and its on her stomach, i would be concerned simply because of the increased risk for mammary cancer which can develope anywhere the milk would be if she'd had pups. and you say she's touchy about it which for me is also cause for concern as it could also be an infection. Is the area red and aggravated like she's been licking it considerably? or is a solid mass that doesnt really give if you apply a little bit of pressure? If it gives, kinda like feels squashy, i would lean towards infection but a harder mass could mean cancer. Please keep up posted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not red or mushy. just a hard spot. She doesn't mess with it......I will find out soon. And Montana Scout My dog is played with and pet every single day more than once a day. I know my dog inside and out and can tell when anything is wrong with her and she is showing no signs of anything unless u touch it and than she moves a little. It just popped up in the last couple days.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
My unspayed hospice foster has Mammary Cancer...what they don't know is if it is benign or malignant...but in either event...they still call it Mammary Cancer. Unfortunately...she has other health issues which negates her from being a surgical candidate or even a biopsy candidate. In either event...it will kill her...malignant much faster...benign slower. Get her to a vet asap...as if it is Mammary Cancer...how fast you catch it is the key! Cheyenne's tumor was soft until recently when it got so massive that her skin is now stretched to the max.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I will put a disclaimer that it "looked" soft. I am very squeamish about it...so I leave the actual palpation of it to the vet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would be HIGHLY concerned if its hard and just popped up a couple days ago. Sudden fast growing spots like you're describing dont usually mean anything good. PLEASE have a vet check it out immediately and have a biopsy done. This isnt sounding good to me at all.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Our Golden Retriever had a lump the size of my fist on his chest between his two top nippies. It fluctuated between being on the softer size and being harder. We freaked out, took him to the vet and found out it was simply a hematoma from trauma of him and Hannah playing too rough. She drained it for us and that was that. It filled back up a little, he took medication, and a week later it was gone. Hopefully it's something as simple as what we dealt with and nothing more. Honestly, it popped up within 2-3 days, too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gosh. Sorry for making a post late at night and not getting the semantics correct. Do you think the OP understood what I was trying to say? :rolleyes:
sorry wasn't trying to be mean about it.. i guess my late night post got the same way lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
its not red or mushy. just a hard spot. She doesn't mess with it......I will find out soon. And Montana Scout My dog is played with and pet every single day more than once a day. I know my dog inside and out and can tell when anything is wrong with her and she is showing no signs of anything unless u touch it and than she moves a little. It just popped up in the last couple days.
sorry, not familiar w/ the multiple quote thing, i keep messing it up.. but anyway if it just "popped up" i would honestly say its probably a hernia, cancer (benign or malignant) takes YEARS to build up starting with a small lump that you would generally notice if you pet her a lot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts