German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking my dogs and came across a dead kitten (not a tiny kitten, but young) on my neighbor's parking by the curb. Presumably, it had been hit by a car and set there. I thought about leaving it, in hopes that the owner would find it and at least know what happened. In my experience it's the worst thing to have a pet disappear and not know what happened to it. But I decided to pick it up because my neighbor is an older lady who lives by herself and I didn't want her to come across it while mowing. Also, it was a hot, humid night and wouldn't be in good condition by morning. So, I am wondering, if this were your pet, would you rather find the body, regardless of the condition? Or never know?

My other concern is not knowing what was the proper way to dispose of him. My yard isn't that big and we already have a multitude of animals buried there; we just don't have room to bury pets that aren't ours. So, I doubled bagged the poor little thing, said a little prayer, and placed it in the trash. But I felt really disrespectful. Any ideas that I should have thought of?

·
Registered
334 Posts
You did what you could do. At least you got it off of the street, poor kitten. Are you near an animal shelter or vet? Perhaps one of them would waive their disposal fee for you if you were to drop it off?

·
Registered
261 Posts
My ex husbands cat got hit by a car. He was wearing his collar and the person took him to the vet but their was nothing they could do. The vets office called and gave him the bad news. They also mailed home his collar, a card with his paw print and a nice condolence card. I thought it was very sweet of them. My Ex was a wreck for a week about it. He loved that cat.

I agree with calling a vet and asking about dropping the little guy off. If nothing else they can scan him and make sure he isn't chipped.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would rather know what happened to my pet. At least with a body I could bury him or have him cremated........

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I would want to know. But because the woman is an older woman, I'd take care of the body myself, but let her know what happened.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would want to know.

I sometimes have to scrape up dead rabbits and squirrels off the street. Otherwise,my dogs home in on them. I always just bag them and throw in the trash. But if it's hot out, there are going to be a lot of flies until trash day.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could smack myself, as both are good ideas. It's too late now.

Yeah, I know....flies...and the smell. Although we have the worst garbage in the neighborhood anyhow, what with fish guts and dog poo!

·
Super Moderator
32,371 Posts
What about putting up a sign, so if the owner is searching for their lost kitten they will at least know what happened?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You could also post in on craigslist(not posting what happened just tell them to email you if missing a kitten) so the person might see it and at least know what happened. In college, my roommates cat got out and she says the WORST part was just not knowing what happened. We searched for weeks, posted tons of posters, and went to shelters daily and never heard anything.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
maybe call animal control and let them know where you found it and the description. When my cat went missing they had this book of the deceased animals they picked up. Mine wasn't in there and I still don't know what happened to him. It is a really bad feeling not knowing....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts