German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for opinions...
My girl is 1 year 3 months old. While petting her found a lump near her shoulder blade. its rubbery feeling, right under the skin and mobile. took her to the vet and he said its probably just a lipoma and just to watch it... this was a vet I had never seen before since the regular vet was out that day. My question is should I have it looked at again and perhaps peruse a FNA in case its something more serious? Or is a "feels like a lipoma" good enough?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
One of my dogs has two lipomas for a few years that were diagnosed by feel (no biopsy).Tumors are not rubbery and mobile like lipomas are.If they don't grow and cause discomfort my vet says the same as yours - just keep an eye on it.
A friends dog had one on her ribcage that became large and uncomfortable so he had it removed at that point.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Our Tessa had a fairly large one for years, all 3 vets age saw throughout her life diagnosed it by feel also.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Shadow has one about the size of a quarter right near her armpit. Vet figures it's a lipoma and I was instructed to just keep an eye on it. I asked about FNA and was told they prefer not unless they have reason to believe it's something more serious. Most lumps are diagnosed by appearance and feel. Even on people.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
We had one removed from the back of her neck, and the recovery was far worse than the bump. The collar moved down over the stitches. I didn’t see it. It irritated the incision site, which did not heal. I had to remove the collar for a month. If it’s not the malignant type, leave it alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies. I am taking her back to the normal vet i see look at it and see what he says. seeing what everyone said here I don't think ill push for aspirate if he thinks its benign. Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts