German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My wife tells me she found a brown dog tick on our wall today. The tick was not fed. She put it in a covered glass with alcohol and is waiting for me to come home to see if it was a tick...

My dog is on k9 advantix monthly. I know brown dog ticks are the only ones that can infest a house. I wonder what measures I should take given that we found this tick and given that I put advantix on him 4/6 (today is 4/23)... Can there be an infestation of he's on preventative? In other words, if the ticks do not feed, how will they multiply?

Any advice, will be appreciated. Not hitting the panic button over one tick, but curious if I should take some extra measures...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't believe you can have an infestation if they don't feed. We are going through Tick H*ll right now, even with using Revolution. From what my vet told me, a tick can crawl through the fur and take from just a few minutes, to a few hours to actually attach and start feeding. It takes 24-36 hours for a complete meal.

We've used a citus solution recently and that has cut down on the ticks that he carries in; we sprayed the yard and we spray his legs once a day and it has dramatically cut down on the amount of ticks he's bringing in, but with the lack of cold weather across the board this year, it's just going to be a bad season. We also put some flea/tick powder in the vaccum canister to help kill anything we might sweep up and not get thrown out when we empty the canister.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I just ordered my first bottle, and haven't used it yet, but I hear REALLY good things of CederCide. There was a thread not to long ago on here where someone mentioned spraying the perimeter of all their rooms with CederCide. (This is an all natural product, FYI.) You might look into an option like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts