German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a new one for me, on the 19th I will recieve my new foster puppy Ellsi 3 to 4 months old. She has been deaf all her life, I have never worked with a deaf pup before, so although I am excited to be given this opprotunity, I am also very nervous. Does anyone have any advice to share with me on this.

Wasn't sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved thats fine.

Heres a picture of her.
[/img]

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hand signals for EVERY comand! That's what I've been told. Congratulations on your new adventure! I know this will only make you a better, more experienced dog handler. It sounds like a challenge you are up for. Keep us posted! Sincerely, Christina (and Glory *woof*)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
What a gorgeous baby! Thank you for taking in a 'special needs' pup!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Alos look into the vibration collars. Some are mode just for vibration and others are e-collars that have vibration modes. This should be equivalent to calling her name to get her attention. You buzz, and she looks for instructions. Whether it be a signal to come or to sit.

Such a sweet looking girl. You know we will want more pictures.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your support and advice. This is really going to be exciting and a very new experience for me, and the rest of the family. I know with the toher dogs around she will look to the for learning also. I am going to see who out of my dogs she kids it off with and then do training with both of them. Got myself a couple of great bood, they show hand signals, so I am going to print them out and post them so the rest of the family will know what I am doing and how to communicate with Ellsi. Little Ellsi will be here on the 19th, along with a 8 to 9 month old comeing from Kuwait, also will have a language barrier with this one, so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ellsi is a border collie, but she is not a mix, pure troulbe in a small package. I work for a border collie rescue in my area, just one of the lucky ones when it comes to my job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wasnt sure if she was mix.. very cute. I would adopt her in a heartbeat if i was in area
I am deaf myself, so you can always PM me for ideas or help

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a deaf dog at home. She is 95% or so deaf. I yell at the top of my lungs to get her attention, which REALLY bugs my dog that hears just fine. So I have come up with a few things that work very well....

1. Hand signals when the dog is focused on you, easy big motions that are not ambigious.

2. A series of taps on the floor for attention (I use three good foot taps and Vesna will look around).

3. Try NOT to sneak up on the poor pooch, always rap your knuckles on a wall or tap your foot as you approach so's to not startle.

Obviously recall while outside is going to be effected, I don't have a solution for that as Vesna was a rescue at 11 years old and she's not exactly the type to go bounding off in the throes of puppy excitment. Hand signals are where it's at really. Vesna is a GSD/Corgi mix (yes she's weapons grade cute) so she's pretty smart and I have almost no issues with her hearing problem. In fact it makes living with my bouncy 8 y/o GSD that much easier. I can give him vocal commands and since Vesna is deaf she is blissfully ignorant of her "brother" getting yelled at for being a dork. She's almost silent too, don't know if that's an offshoot of the hearing or she's just not vocal. In three years of having her around I've only heard her bark once or twice.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Two books down, reading anything I can on deaf dogs. I have come up with a series of hand signals to use, and have them posted through out the house so the whole family can get familular on how to communicate with her. I am sure once she is here I will hve a ton more questions for you all. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts