German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shelter we foster for, as do most shelters, spays/neuters ALL dogs and cat, kittens and puppies prior to adoption. We raised an orphaned pair from 3 wks old till 8 wks old, and they both had homes by 6 wks. Upon reaching 8 wks of age, both were spayed and to be picked up that night by their new owners from the vet.

One puppy did normal, all is well.

The other - larger - pup had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia and almost died (technically, did die, but was brought back).

They said that she had to stay another night at the vet but should be ok the next day to go to her new home. The spay was on Monday, it's now Wednesday and this AM I was contacted to say that currently, the puppy still can not walk at all and will only eat if the food is put right in front of her. This is a puppy that would go nuts when we even walked into the room their puppy pen was in, and would wolf down food like a starving bear.

The adopter and the vet talked for some time apparently and the adopter is going to get a refund on the adoption and the vet is going to personally foster the puppy so she can receive the therapy she needs. Apparently she can not even potty by herself at this point.

Of course we would be willing to take her back in if for some reason the vet renigs on this arrangement. The adopter is going to wait to adopt another dog in hopes that this puppy will make it, because the vet has agreed to adopt her back to her if she pulls through.

Has anyone ever heard of this? This is a first for me!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've never heard of that happening before. How terribly sad for the pup. :( Good thoughts and prayers sent her way. Keep us posted if you can!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow makes me wonder what else went wrong during the surgery that isn't being said. I can't believe that they would even do the surgery on a pup of 8 weeks old

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Wow makes me wonder what else went wrong during the surgery that isn't being said. I can't believe that they would even do the surgery on a pup of 8 weeks old
Yes, Good Shepherd Rescue just neutered a whole litter at 8 weeks. I hate it, but you have to find those puppers homes when they're cute and my state at least requires they be altered.

Rerun, so sorry to hear about the baby pup. She'll be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Did they sever a nerve somewhere? I've never heard of that from a spay surgery, but my MIL's dog had a non cancerous tumor removed in the same area and they nicked a nerve that left her back legs paralyzed for some time. She actually had to undergo a second surgery and several months of therapy to regain normal mobility. I have a feeling the vet is not disclosing something....their vet told them right away what has happened so one would think this vet also realized something went wrong.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure why you can't believe it. :confused: Every shelter across the country spays and neuters puppies and kittens at 8 weeks old. It's common practice.

The dog had an allergic reaction - nothing else went wrong in the surgery that isn't be said. We've had nearly a dozen foster puppies and dogs in the past year alone that this clinic (who is contracted with the shelter) has spayed/neutered with no complications. There wasn't anything they did wrong. The new owner paid for pre-op bloodwork and everything, and it didn't catch this. Just a freak thing that happened. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or heard of it, and what the outcome was.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Poor little girl! It sounds like she had cardiac arrest due to the allergic reaction, was "brought back" but suffered neurological damage.
With people sometimes there can be some improvement with therapy, but how much depends on the extent and location of brain injury.

There is risk with any surgery, and it is not always someone's fault when there is a poor outcome. Trying to add anger and resentment to the OP's worries right now doesn't help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So sorry about the pup & for the people waiting to adopt her.:(

BTW - 12 weeks of age is the minimum here. Used to be 16. At one time, it was 6 months of age. We've never done surgery on 1 that young unless it was an emergency. Maybe that's just our area...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not sure why you can't believe it. :confused: Every shelter across the country spays and neuters puppies and kittens at 8 weeks old. It's common practice.
Right, it's the same here in Maryland. ALL shelter animals are spayed/neutered before being adopted out and I totally agree with it.:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It sounds like she arrested for a period of time and suffered some brain damage. She has her youth going for her, but it's hard to say how well she will recover.

My rescue also spays and neuters all dogs no matter the age prior adoption. This is a very common practice as the general public is terrible at preventing pregnancies.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I can't believe it either, major invasive surgery at 8 weeks of age, for nothing more than convenience. People are nuts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
The 2 shelters by me do not spay/neuter their kittens and puppies at 8 weeks old. They wait until they are 6 months old to do so. They make you pay an extra $150 when adopting a puppy/kitten that hasn't been spayed/neutered and after they are 6 months old and can be spayed/neutered you bring the paperwork back to them and you get your $150 back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts