German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, all of us who's dogs have crappy poo.....take a look at this and give me your thoughts. FOS is something that is good for dogs with SIBO (the Iams Low Residue has FOS in it which is why it is recommended for SIBO). Thoughts? Ideas? Input?!!

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_...lyID_15189.aspx

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Here are the active ingredients. Wish it listed the inactive ingredients.

rebiotic:
Fructooligosaccharides 750mg
Enzyme Blend:
Acid Stable Protease 16,869 HUT/g
Amylase 2,025 SKB/g
Lipase 1,033 FCCLU/g
Cellulase 203 CU/g

I just realized that is a dancing piece of poop in your avatar.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, Jean, there ws not anything at that link. I got my new KV Vet catalog today. Saw the same item as in the link above for at petsmart. What did you mean the "other" FOS?

Ruth, you're right - what are the inactive ingredients?!!!

I am sitting at the computer, obviously, DH is working late and I have been reading dog food ingredients (I really need to get a life
) Canidae has FOS but it also has barley and alfalfa. Gracie did great on Canidae for a while then started to have problems ... much like the attempted switch to the Blue Buffalo.

Now that you all have heard more than you ever dreamed of hearing about Gracie's food and poo, I'm going to bed! I'll try to restrain myself in the days to come

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI just realized that is a dancing piece of poop in your avatar.
NOOOOOOOOOOO! It's a dancing banana carrying a poop sign. Do you ever go over to the shepherd central forum? There is a whole bunch of dancing bananas there. I can't remember where I found this one though, may have been from someone else's posts a while back.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I prefer to think of it as a piece of yellow, well formed poop!

What kind of digestive enzymes are you using now?

I don't pay any attention to what's in dog food. I think the kind of processing it takes to turn food into a little hard piece of kibble would neutralize any benefits of supplements. Plus it usually just says that it's in there but you have no way of knowing whether it's a therapeutic amount--e.g. how much is in a serving.

I'm pushing coconut oil this week. It is going to fix Rafi's digestive problems and make Chama young again and I am going to go broke in the process!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't use enzymes for SIBO. She doesn't have EPI. She is just on her veterinary diet and the occasiona addition of tylan to her food.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Ruth is now a member of the coconut oil lobby.

Could someone explain the whole enzymes thing to me? Camper has SIBO, but his pancreas works perfectly. Why would I want/need to add enzymes? Aren't there risks to doing this, like his pancreas says, "well, he's got enough enzymes, so I don't have to do all this work anymore." ?? There are a number of organs that can get thrown out of whack by adding stuff that the body doesn't need -- at least in humans.

Jen, as soon as we get good poops, I'm stealing your avatar, for at least a week!
It's my new goal. I've got Camper working on it!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Here is what Prozyme, a company that makes enzyme products (no bias-hehehe) says: http://www.prozymeproducts.com/

I use that for Kramer and Nina to help them not use so many of their energy on digestion, I hope. I have been trying to remember to give it to Bruno because supposedly it might help with the poop eating habit.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Quote:

(no bias-hehehe)
Ok, Jean.

And McDonalds says that Chicken McNuggets are healthy!
(Well, Zamboni says that too!)

And what do you REALLY think?

ETA: Jean, you're coming up on 10K posts. Did you notice that? Wow!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gracie had the worst stool, with so much mucous in it, when taking prozyme. I won't add anything like that to her food. She also had problems with yogurt added.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts