even harder

Total Posts: 7624
Registered on: 06/06/04 12:00 PM
And it appears I'm getting even more prolific
This is post #13344

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I joined in '02, so I can't give you the full history.

But this board on UBB's started in 1999, not sure if there was a free software version before that.

Rhaya started the board because of the love of her GSD's, one I believe was a rescue, hence the rescue section.

She isn't hear much any more has young children that keep her busy. But she does stay in touch with the Mods and Admins. I know that Rhaya as the owner of the board, didn't post a lot even "back in the day".

In '02 we had fewer members and live chat, which has had to be discontinued because the terrible behavior of some members. They felt that the rules of the board didn't apply and it was taking a lot of Mod/Admin time to monitor and even then we couldn't control it.

We have added a lot of different things to the board since I have been here. Interests change, the people change. I remember when I was a new member we had ONE are for all training issues, from Puppy to SchH. that was fun to try to find your way around.

I think the board is a lot more open and friendly than when I joined. I was flamed and smashed and bashed for being a new person who was investigating the possibility of breeding LC's. None of this was very gentle at that time. I was a pretty good thread killer, I would post a question or a reply and that was it no one posted. It was like the cold kiss of death. But hey I hung in, I stayed the course, once some of the "elders" cough got use to me life was better. I think I was more blunt and to the point when I joined, so if you think I am blunt now I am actually getting wordier, is that a word.

Several rules in place now are the result of some situation or another that made the Admins. construct a rule.

We instituted the 1,000 word post rule because there was a member who liked, no loved to post novels about any given topic.

Privacy issues mandated the no posting of personal info.

People didn't use the "quote" function much at all so you had to really be on your toes following threads.

People are more into using the smiley's then when I started.

Val

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Betty101, do you remember the live chats on Sunday nights? Man put on your flame suit and boxing gloves some times, other times you could learn a lot.

When I think back you are right it was a lot more colorful and or not so politically correct. I am sure we lost members at that time because we were more straight forward.

Breeding discussions were blunt, you didn't know what you were doing don't do it. The blah blah miracle of birth was not accepted. You had better know your Pedigree's inside out and backwards, not just the 3 - 5 generations. But I think we are in a different era of instant gratification, people want to do some thing so they do, without the knowledge to back up what they are doing. Fast food and video games....

Oh and there was been a big change in training. LOL back in the day there were your hard core compulsion people, most people at that time were compulsion to a point.

So the board has evolved in accordance with the times.

I think all boards change, the PDB use to be a great place to learn about bloodlines with open honest discussions, now well......

Val

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I remember the Sunday night chats. That is where I met Anita and Jamie who have become great friends!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I remember I joined cause I got my Elsa Rose, my first GSD ever! Loved it from the start. Think it's crazy how long some of us have been here!!!

Though I believe I got a few warnings in the beginning for not being as diplomatic and nice with a few postings...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts