German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been noticing a little more each week, as my male max grows (he will be 8 months on the 22nd) that Max and my female Ruby (who will be a year and 4 months on the 15th) have been acting different towards each other, more territorial of items such as tennis balls, or apparently in this video, ICE! haha Also, since i got max at 3 months old, ruby has always been the type to take stuff from him... Example. She has a ball, on one side of the room, max has a ball on the other side, if she sees him enjoying it, she will go over there and take it from him, usually not just a slow walk over there, like a DASH lol so he never gets to play ball unless she isnt around. He enjoys playing ball, but not like ruby, that is her drug of choice i think haha But if max had a choice he would rather play with a dog. They also do alot of... its hard to explain, getting in each others face, with their teeth showing, mouthes open and whining ... sometimes their teeth even clank together... lol its definately interesting to watch, but they can get pretty loud sometimes as if it could turn into a small .... i dont wanna say fight so.... disagreement.
I found a video of it actually:

Anyways, i didnt notice till i uploaded the video to Youtube that max isnt barking at the ball, he is barking at ruby. I was just curious if this is a form of dominance, or just play. He has become more vocal, which im trying to use to my advantage since we have started some training for schutzhund. Ruby, isn't much of a barker... unless its at an animal on the other side of the fence.
My Questions, besides if this a form of dominance or not, is:
1. What is the best way to handle the territorial-ness.
-- I heard that they are starting to get to the point of needing to know who is who in the pack? although i heard 3 or more dogs is a "pack". idk.
Also.
2. Whats the best way to use Max's barking to my advantage besides praising him when he barks when i want him too... And is it confusing for him when i want him to bark and praise, and then i scould him when he barks at.... my friends cat or dog for example, or a lard bark at 3am cause he wants to play with ruby.

I just wanna make sure i am doing the right things, and not confusing him haha
I also wanna note that max has been starting to pick up some of rubys... not so good traits, like not listening for example, or jumping on people when excited. In the video it was the warmest day in the past 2 weeks, so they were in play mode too...
Thanks all!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to say also, max has started to not let ruby take his stuff, he does the head low, looking up, showing his teeth.... but she has done that too. i usually, when i am around, get up and in between and say Nein! (sp?) If im not handling that correctly let me know please. and thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts