German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, back again with another Versailles emergency.

Yesterday at about 1:30pm she threw up after I fed her lunch. Her spirits were still high and she hung out with me at a friends in their backyard playing fetch. She continued to periodically vomit but otherwise seemed normal. Anyway, ended up taking her to emergency at 12:00am. Took xrays (attached) and she has something stuck - the vet can't tell whether it's still in her stomach or whether or not it is passing. I made a tough decision to take her home and monitor (all they wanted to do was hospitalize with IV fluids which hardly seemed reason enough to pay an additional $1300 on top of our already $500 bill) so we did sub q fluids, cerenia and famotidine.

She has not thrown up again since midnight and her spirits seem to be getting higher. She is still going to the bathroom - last night it was just a teaspoon or so of pure diarrhea that was red in color, then this morning the first time it was diarrhea with a small amount of "firmer" stool, though still very runny, and just now we had a decent amount of the runny but firmer stool. She is currently trying to play with her squeaky toy.

I am going to take her back in for more x-rays tonight but am so far hopeful we can avoid surgery. Do any of you have any tips on what I should do at home to help this pass? Pumpkin, oil, etc... I am going to try to feed her as recommended in a few hours with a bland diet.

This is terrifying.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If there is a suspected blockage, the vet should NOT have given Cerenia. While it won't cause rupture like Reglan can, it will mask the symptoms of a intestinal blockage.

I would take her back to vet first thing tomorrow for a barium series and find out if there actually IS a blockage. If there is surgery is needed.

Keep an eye on her( as I am sure you are)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Watch her carefully. If the "thing" is still in her tummy, but unable to be passed into the intestines due to size or shape, then while food/water might be able to pass little bits at a time, it probably will not pass by itself. The other thing to worry about is if it does pass into the intestines, but again, can't pass due to size or shape, the intestines can accordian into each other.
Take her to the vet with the xrays you have. They will be able to see if it is moving or just staying there. The intestines were/are full below the "thing" so you could be seeing the stools from them, not anything new passing through. Plus there is alot of gas in the upper intestines with solid stuff in the lower intestines.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
You can see it on the VD ( technically AP is for limbs and skull) it's on the right at the second to last rib.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh thanks, I can see it now - I was hoping maybe it was just bowel. (I'm a human XR'er - didn't know about the VD!) This stomach stuff is so scary, it's so hard to tell when to go full bore and when to wait and see.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked about a barium series last night and they said they prefer doing ultra sounds. When I go in today, any thoughts on whether I should do another X-ray versus ultra sound?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I would start with a radiograph. To see if its moved, if the bowel is affected, stuff like that. But if your vet is really good with the Ultrasound....

That's neat about the human difference in terminology. I would not have thought there was a difference. Learn something new everyday!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We got our second x-rays done.. whatever it was, it appears to be broken down & gone. I was pretty shocked to get that answer considering the "life or death" scenario the vet fed me last night trying to get me to hospitalize her (I know, better to be safe.. but still!). Just fed her a small meal and started her on metronidazole. Hopefully it was a fluke and it really is gone. I've been looking through her feces and haven't seen anything pass through, so the vet I saw today isn't sure what it could have been.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts