German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Does anyone have a Ford Escape?? My vehicle is probably going to go to the bridge soon, if you know what I mean, and I could really use a vehicle with enough space for two crates. I really don't want to put a divider in because I feel like crates are safer and they keep the hair/slobber contained a bit better. I have been anti-suv for a long time because of their bad gas mileage, but the Escape doesn't seem too bad. Any experience? Anyone have a Subaru Forester or Outback? Those are also on my consideration list.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I went to a truck after the hairnados from my crated dogs in my Explorer and the mud on the windows from wet dogs shaking.

The hainado was from driving down the road with the window open. The hair still goes everywhere .........I had to put a platform in my Explorer for two crates and that is bigger than the Escape ever was. ... YOu should also look at the Element if you are not doing any serious offroad.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Fits a 42 and 36 in crate with back seats down. Will not fit two 42. You can see my car setup in the car thad that was recent ly active

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I concur if you don't NEED real 4WD and off road ground clearance (they are fine on most dirt roads and training fields) minvans are the way to go. A lot of cross ventilation, better fuel economy than trucks or SUVs.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have two 36'' crates - I only have one now, but as I drive a coup it doesn't matter.

NO MINIVANS! I just can't bite the uncool bullet yet. I agree that I don't need the 4 wheel drive, but it would be nice to be able to pull a small trailer.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Ok about the emotinal response to a minivan but I think the escape only has a 1inch reciever if I recall correctly (it is now on a car chassis) and I know my teammate hauls our team jon boat with her mini van frequently :)

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I have a Ford Taurus X -used to have a mini van will likely go back to a mini van -they really can not be beat in terms of space for dogs _I think

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i have an escape that i never drive because the gas mileage is SO TERRIBLE. two crates will not fit. it also has a very stiff and uncomfortable ride. i love my windstar, fits everyone and everything and is very comfortable. it is never uncool to make a wise decision.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I KNOW that minivans really have the most space, but it's just dh and me and the two dogs. I really don't want a minivan. I actually prefer to drive a car, but it's just not working out with two dogs.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I am kind of in the same situation, I have a 1999 Suburban, I think the tranny is starting to go. I can't afford a new one, thats for sure and with the price of gas OMG. I was looking at something like this I won't be getting all 3 dogs in it 2011 Chevy Aveo5 | Chevy Hatchback | Compact Car | Chevrolet

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Yes, I KNOW that minivans really have the most space, but it's just dh and me and the two dogs. I really don't want a minivan. I actually prefer to drive a car, but it's just not working out with two dogs.
:rofl: You have no kids, but you have dogs, same thing in my book!!! :rofl:
There are plenty of people (single and/or married without kids) in my Schutzhund club who drive minivans because of their dogs. :D

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You will have plenty of room for 2 36in crates then with seats down. We have been happy with our escape although it is tight on space with the 2 crates in there.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Same situation here. Just hubby and I no kids-just dogs. I got a ram p/u just for the dogs. I lay my seats down covered with large comforter, doggy pillow-ready to go. Yes, it does get furry in there so I have been thinking about a SUV too. I am curious to see how this topic goes because I was wondering if a SUV is a better setup than my current one. Is it better to have a crate set up in your vehicle? With my truck it is either the back seat thing or nothing because I will not put my dogs in the bed of my truck even in crates/carriers. The whole bed of my truck is pretty much useless to me. I have been thinking about a Durango, but I don't think they get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Is it better to have a crate set up in your vehicle? With my truck it is either the back seat thing or nothing because I will not put my dogs in the bed of my truck even in crates/carriers. The whole bed of my truck is pretty much useless to me. I have been thinking about a Durango, but I don't think they get good gas mileage.
I use crates for training, because I am going somewhere and will need to leave the car open for air-flow. No way would I chance leaving Darling Dog in the car, with a window open, during protection work:eek:. He would be on the field super fast!

I have seen someone's dog actually break their window out. They left it partially down, the dog got excited and "grabbed " it with his front paws and pulled it out.

For just riding around town, to the park, etc my dogs can ride free.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The Chevy Aveo has a VERY bad reliability record, and for a car that small the mileage is not really that good.

Powell

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Same situation here. Just hubby and I no kids-just dogs. I got a ram p/u just for the dogs. I lay my seats down covered with large comforter, doggy pillow-ready to go. Yes, it does get furry in there so I have been thinking about a SUV too. I am curious to see how this topic goes because I was wondering if a SUV is a better setup than my current one. Is it better to have a crate set up in your vehicle? With my truck it is either the back seat thing or nothing because I will not put my dogs in the bed of my truck even in crates/carriers. The whole bed of my truck is pretty much useless to me. I have been thinking about a Durango, but I don't think they get good gas mileage.
Not sure why the objection to the bed of the truck. I used an SUV for years and in the SE US the truck is a godsend. I feel my dogs are just as safe under a camper shell with welded aluminim locking crates secured to the bed with strong tie downs. WIth full length windoors I can park in the direct sun in the summer and have excellent cross ventilation with temperature under the camper no warmer than air temp (I know because I tracked truck v suv before I made the deicsion)

It is most assuredly safer than dogs on seats without seatbelts or behind flimsy non frame mounted barriers.

WIth the SUV I was always having to throw tarps over it, move the vehicle, and air flow was suboptimal which I way I think a mini van is better than an SUV....now I am doing SAR and the truck may have to be parked with the dog in it for several hours and there is often not room to move it to a shady location.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts