German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some updated pics of my chickies, they are in the UGLY stage right now, look like long legged ostrich babies..but here's some I havent posted:)thanks for looking

Ruby (RIR) and 2 coronation sussex babies 1.5 wks old

this is Cuckoo, so far my fave nosey little cuckoo lemon orpington 1.5wks

Ruby 2wks old

cuckoo and Lily (lav orpington)

the girls 2 weeks old

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now just taken, major uglies:)Lily & Lila & Ruby

Cuckoo attacking my camera

Ruby & Lily hanging out

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and lastly,,got this HUGE egg last week, someone must have a sore butt, they are usually the size of the one on the right!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Oh my goodness! I cannot wait to be able to own chickens some day but thank you for letting me live vicariously through you for now. :) The last picture, the little chick on the left sitting on top of whatever that is... SO cute. :wub::wub:

Did you breed those yourself or buy them?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These I got from a breeder that is 15 minutes from me, so happy to be able to go pick them up ..The other 9 I have (they will be a year old on June 4th) I ordered via Meyer Hatchery in Ohio..They are the friendliest birds ever, these little ones are a little more flighty even tho I got them all right out of the incubator:)

The ones I ordered came within 24 hours, were day olds..they are quite entertaining and theraputic:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Omggggg. they are ADORABLE. Dont eat them!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Those are cute!

The local Buchheit's store has chicks and they also sell duck chicks

I'm afraid Lisl would think they were a live play toy.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
yes they get to that ugly stage way too quick. do you have a rooster???? Now if you let your chickens forage around your property the tick population dwindles down to nothing. so sad there are so many foxes by my house, now my tick population is so out of control. i miss watching them, they make great lawn ornements. i have to lock mine up, even during the day, bummer :(

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no I don't eat them, eggs yes, chickens absolutely not:)

Can't free range mine, to many hawks/foxes/coyotoes..sooooo wish I could tho.

They do have a HUGE outdoor pen, 12 x 20+ / inside area will be 8 x 12 when we rebuild. I may build a chicken tractor so they can get out an forage some

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you do free range chickens around your home, and of course feed and water them regularly, how far do they normally stray?

Are they homebodies, or would I get a call from the neighbor two blocks down asking to come and get my hen?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My chickens stayed inside my chain link fence when I let them out (only one of the flocks I let out). We have an acre of land..they never even went to the front yard. I love chickens and miss having them. I had one mixed flock (silver and gold-laced wyandottes, araucanas--such sweet hens!) that I kept in a large coop that I moved so they could have access to fresh ground to scratch and then I had one flock of white silkies who were gorgeous and allowed out every day to range around the back yard.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most that I know with chickens, they don't tend to roam far , if even off their own property.

My back yard is fenced (1/2) however, my fear is hawks, and what not, I suppose I could supervise and keep Masi out there, (she's fine with the chickens), but again, the hawks are quick:(

I KNOW if mine were out and about, all I'd have to do is shake a bag of dried mealworms and they'd be "rightthere" :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to admit I miss chickens. I grew up on a farm and we always had abut 100 chickens (Rhode Island Reds,) and I can't remember the last time I've had a real egg. Sure, grocery stores say they're chicken eggs, but they're a sad imitation imo. I still remember my first store bought experience, I told my dh something was wrong with the eggs, they must be off or something lol When we visited my childhood home and had real eggs, he brought it up and was surprised at the huge difference. Wonder if the Farmers Market here has fresh ones, since is supposed to be a good one, I just haven't gone to it since moving here.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I love chickens! I wish I could keep chickens here :(

Your chickens are so cute! Like little chick Models ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts