German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything good that is non-toxic you'd all recommend?

Searched, but didn't find too much in terms of suggestions

·
Registered
766 Posts
We sweep a lot and I mean a lot. We also just use windex on the floors (my husband works at a cabinetry building company and they use windex on all of their finishes because it's not as harsh as other cleaners). I attach a microfiber towel to a swifer mop and just spray as I go. The pup goes outside while I mop so he doesn't accidentally lick it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have a stick vacuum for daily clean up. Floors are washed with vinegar and warm water and then I swifter them after the floor is dry.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I also use vinegar and water.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I take off my glasses:D

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Oh, I don't think you are supposed to clean hardwood floors. Pretty sure. Actually, I don't think you are supposed to clean ANY floors. Why would anyone do anything so pointless as to clean a floor? LOL!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am planning on switching from carpet to hardwood as soon as the IRS Money comes in. Is hardwood better that carpet for clean up after doggie? Common sense tells me yes, but I have no experience. I use warm soap water on my tile floors (dish soap).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hardwood is so much easier to clean up after the dog, but traction for zooming around isn't as fun for them haha they tend to just slide into doors and walls when playing fetch inside.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Murphy's and or Pledge lemon or orange oil , if I need a shine...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have had floors refinished in two houses and both times have been told to use water or water with a small amount of vinegar.

All of that other stuff that people have mentioned is toxic to you, your animals and the environment and it's not actually good for your floors.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I use vinegar and water, or Murphy's oil soap, just a bit in a bucket of hot water. Personally I don't like the smell of Murphy's but it's what was recommended.

This house had wall-to-wall carpet when I moved in, and one of the first things I did was to rip it ALL out and refurbish the hardwood floors beneath. The only carpeting in our house is throw rugs. When you have pets, IMO, carpeting just doesn't make sense unless you LOVE to vacuum and shampoo carpet!

Older dogs sometimes have a hard time with hardwood flooring because they can't get traction. At that point, it's a good idea to lay down runners for them.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use vinegar and water, or Murphy's oil soap, just a bit in a bucket of hot water. Personally I don't like the smell of Murphy's but it's what was recommended.

This house had wall-to-wall carpet when I moved in, and one of the first things I did was to rip it ALL out and refurbish the hardwood floors beneath. The only carpeting in our house is throw rugs. When you have pets, IMO, carpeting just doesn't make sense unless you LOVE to vacuum and shampoo carpet!

Older dogs sometimes have a hard time with hardwood flooring because they can't get traction. At that point, it's a good idea to lay down runners for them.
our girl LOVES sliding (she figured out she can run and slide LOL) on our hardwood floors.

she has ruined them in a few short months with claw marks, but whatever. we'll refinish them before we sell! whenever that is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ditched our traditional vacuum when we got rid of most of the carpet in our house and now just have a commercial shop vac. It's awesome and picks up absolutely everything (including stuffing from toys!) and never clogs. It's big, bulky and a pain in the butt, but it works better than any vacuum I've ever encountered! It's great on hardwoods and on our runners.

I'll mop the hardwoods and tile with a bit of Castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's), Murphy's or Sun & Earth.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
All of that other stuff that people have mentioned is toxic to you, your animals and the environment and it's not actually good for your floors.
Yes but will it get the floors clean? I've tried ever known chemical available, orange glow with a microfiber mop seems to be the one thing that gets Nevada dust up for a little while at least. Doesn't seem to bother my dogs.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts