German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
For me, it was the connection between dog and handler. If you've been to an IPO trial and seen the high-level guys work, it's electrifying. I wanted that sort of challenge and bond with my dog.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The more I read about Schutz/IPO, the more I wish I could do it!! It's against legislation where I live, so I can't even look into it. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
That is really sad Apple!

My reason for getting into it was the fact that I didn't want to over vaccinate my dog, and the local training groups all required proof of current vaccines. So, when I heard a GSD group was getting going, I was excited to find a place that did more than the pet type training.
My dog(Onyx) didn't have the temperament for IPO, so I washed her early on. I still went to the group(without a dog) to learn more. It was dominated by SL's and they also did conformation ring training, which wasn't of interest to me.
I ended up getting a WL and found a different club. I bopped around from group to group early on, which didn't help my pup at all!
But it is about the journey and we are still on it. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have training to look forward to!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
For me, it was the connection between dog and handler. If you've been to an IPO trial and seen the high-level guys work, it's electrifying. I wanted that sort of challenge and bond with my dog.
:thumbup: Same here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It does suck! Seems "Summer" has a high drive, she loves to play tug, even going so far as to take on my 40kg shepherd X. She wins because he gives up (very low drive doggy he is) she's extremely intelligent, and at only 11 weeks, is loyal as all get out. Follows me around like a bad smell.

Apparently Victoria, Australia passed a legislation stating that Schutz/IPO was "attack" training thereby making it a "dangerous" thing. :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies guys :)
I contacted the local club here because I want to get my 13 week old pup in it.
I originally started looking into it for the stimulation for him...but I'm also looking forward to the bonding aspect too.
He has a strong food drive and is so so smart.
We originally just wanted a "family pet" only, but after bringing him home, we've realized that he needs more (his lines on both sides are primarily Czech and East German working lines).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts