German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have owned other breeds, was your GSD more "challenging" to raise?

To those of you that have owned different breeds, did you find shepherds to be SIGNIFICANTLY more work to raise than other breeds?

Bear is the only dog me or anyone in my family has ever owned, I love him very much, but at 6 months he is still pretty all-consuming...can't take my eyes off him unless he's sleeping, requires a lot of exercise and training, you get the gist, but I've never known raising a dog to be anything different since he's my first.

My friend just adopted a shepherd mix that's intact and 9 months old (a time that I would image to be really challenging) and this dog is calm as a cucumber, extremely biddable, can be left for hours outside or in the house, AND my friend does absolutely no training or exercise with him and neither did the previous owner. I don't think there's a lot of shepherd in this dog but still...I can't help but feel a little exasperated that I do so much work to wrangle my big monster in and she does nothing and gets perfect behavior. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yes, but not all of the GSDs I've owned were as challenging than the one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
In one word YES. I love my shepherds but as puppies they are significantly more challanging than our other furry family members.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I prefer Shepherds because they have a willingness and are eager to learn. I had a rottie and akita..both of them seemed stubborn and challenged my authority. Smaller breeds such as pugs, toy poodles and shihtzu..just dont seem to care when I am correcting or unhappy with them. However, I dont think I ever took nearly the time in their training as I do with my shepherds..

Only my experience. I have an instant unshakable bond with shepherds i have never found in another breed.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't find anything challenging about training, socializing
and raising a GSD. they learn so quickly. because they learn
quickly they make it easy for you to teach them. the only thing
i find challenging about having a dog is picking up poop. i really
don't like picking up poop.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The GSDs were/are easy. Something about the breed just clicked. A few periods of growing pains, but nothing significant.

I had/have a tough time with my rescue dog who is probably a Collie/GSD/Golden/BC? mix. I had a tough time a long time back with a hound type mix.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I had a border/golden mix~ Clover, in between having GSD's and she was boring, yet a great dog for the family....she had no recall whatsoever though. We brought puppy Clover into the house when my male GSD Stomper was 10.
I had young toddlers at the time, she opened doors magically or had them opened by the kids, and then made her rounds in the neighborhood~everyone loved her and gave her treats when she visited them, (of course encouraging her to visit) I blame her 'escaping' on my lack of attention to her due to the kids, and her need to stay busy.
I wanted another GSD as she matured, because there was something lacking. I needed more of a challenge, and with Onyx got it times 10! Clover was so easy now that I look back, compared to Onyx and her ways. None of my dogs were biters/landsharks and never destructive. Housetrained easily and other than Onyx's fear aggression stage, I love the ease of training such a smart, biddable breed.

My mom has a terrier mix and he is a pain...constantly jumping, barking and hard to find his off switch. He goes under her outbuildings to trap oppossums or whatever. Much of it is her lack of training, but much of it is from his genetic make up.
GSD's are much easier in comparison!

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
It's personality, temperament and age. I owned one GSD that didn't settle down at all until age three, where there was a noticeable change in behavior. However, that was a high drive, high energy dog. Sounds like you have one like that, too. It does get easier.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Taking care of my second shepherd now, besides the fact that she needs constant exercise their really is nothing to challenging about her. Since my floors were hard wood, she naturally preferred going outside to poop from 6 weeks old. Only difficulty I am having this week is trying to keep her calm so she doesn't rip her stitches from her spay. But over all, just tire em out and they don't bother you to much. If they get bored, they will find things to entertain them in which cases can be destructive behavior in puppy stages.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
My own GSDs and fosters are way easier than my other dogs/mixes. I typically like mixes that are a bit rowdy and difficult, and seem to own/foster very nice GSDs.

OR, the GSDs are just much easier to train because they are so biddable, regardless of energy level. Because that would be kind of a major coinkydink that all the GSDs have been easier than the other dogs. Though I did have a GSD-Red tick Coonhound mix puppy for a while that was like a stuffed toy. :wub:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes. About 50% more than our last GSD/Aussie/lab mix and 100% more than the lab/pitbull mix I raised when I was 15. But there's nothing like a 100% GSD and we love her and are amazed by her.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
My boys are only 50% WGSD but they are a handful. It is hard to explain, but they are just so interested in everything I'm doing, everywhere I am -- I can't lie, they're just plain demanding!

My bathroom is small. I thought having one boy laying around watching me do my hair and makeup was plenty. Now two of them are there to watch my every move. My other dogs never did this!

One velcro dog was something new. Now two velcro dogs? These guys know exactly where mom is every single second of every single day. Not to put my other two dogs down, but simple truth is they're not nearly as interested or focused on me as these two guys.

The Shiba hasn't been a cakewalk, exactly. She is, let's say, "opinionated." :D She is not shy. She has no fear of anything. I admire her at the same time I'd like to throttle her.!!!! :eek: She's ridiculously smart. She'd be a super lousy first time dog owner dog. Super human affectionate, but she'll take you for a good ride if you let her.

So to answer your question after my very long winded post :) - yes, speaking for myself only with mixed breed dogs, yes, they're more work because they're not just lay around the house dogs. They need more exercise than the others. They need more mental work than the others. They're more interested in every single thing I do than the others.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I've been pretty blessed, but all the gsd's I've had/have have been easy dogs to train with alot of biddability.

When I was a kid we had gsd's, labs (they were a chore!) and I had a couple of gsd/mixes that were also easy trainers.

My aussies, well lets just say they tend to have a mind of their own at times, love them to death, but they were a different way of training, softer dogs than the gsd's I've had.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think a lot of the challenge in having a dog is how you
look and feel about things regarding the dog. i don't think
that having a GSD is a challenge so i don't feel challenged.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I really think it depends on the particular dog, not the breed. I have raised 4 of my GSDs from puppy to adult but my current one is more of a handful than any dog I have ever raised.

Learns quickly but is very bold and confident and pushy. Very smart, very quick to learn but a total handful.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
I have owned a couple of mixes. Neither were easy dogs, but I was a newer owner back then. My first dog I titled was a Doberman. He was a challenge. My first GSD was a dream to train. Very easy. I have owned a lot of GSD since then and some were easier than others, but overall, as a breed I find them much easier and more willing than the non GSD that I owned/trained.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had a rottweiler that was challenging only because she had a stubborn streak a mile wide, she wanted things done her way and no way else. And she knew her own strength and she used it well.... not so much with us, but she did rip the porch off the house because somebody thought it would be a good idea to tie her to it while we went over to the neighbors.
Even with all of my GSD's challenges now, nothing will beat that rottie's stubbornness.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank is my first GSD and as far as house breaking and living with him at home or taking him places he's been the easiest dog ever. That could just be him since I've never had another gsd to compare him to.

The border collies I've owned were always much harder to live with till they settled down and got out of the puppy stage, they learned things alittle to fast so they had plenty of time to figure out how to get into trouble. :eek: (still love the breed and will probably always have one)

I will never own another dog that has any Lab in it no way, no how! :wild:
Molly was a Lab/BC mix very stubborn, independent and smart. She was also very lovable which was the only way you could put up with all the rest. She's the reason my husband says we will never own another female.
I'll never forget the night my husband was in the neighbors pond at 3 am because Molly bolted out the back door for a swim:eek:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts