German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find time for all of them AND afford all of their expenses? Dogs can get quite expensive, so how do you balance a good job with animal care/ bonding? Just curious. I know this is kind of personal, so If you'd rather not answer that is okay.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
when I had three dogs I made sure that I spent equal time with all three of them at some point during the day. this is a little easier for me because I'm a college student and only go to school twice a week. they all got walked seperatly. my mom makes sure she has at least $1,000 for each dog set aside incase something happens. it's easier now that I only have two dogs.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Honestly, the only reason why I manage to work all three of mine is because I have no job. If I had a job there wouldn't be enough time to do what I am doing with them.

With all the years of experience and how my parents managed the breeding program I have come to the conclusion that if you have more than three dogs and are completely alone in, plus working a full-time job... one or two dogs will always be there that don't get the same attention the others do. They will be left out.

As for expenses, yes it does get expensive. I have a savings account for the dogs that in case of an emergency we have money to take them to the vet, or simply pay for all their shots, de-worming, one year supply of heart-worms that'll come up etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't have a 9-5 job. I am always around because I work from home (sort of). And it gets very expensive. However that being said, I have no other family, no children to spend my money on, go to school events for, take to the dentist, no spouse to insist on going out for dinner, date nights, etc. I don't ever take vacations, and I don't travel, so I don't spend a lot of money on things other people take for granted. Also, I'm not rich and famous. I live modestly, and I spend all my time and money on my fur kids.

The average person would find it a real struggle to provide the vet care, and proper helth and nutrition for half a dozen dogs, let alone any time at all to interact, train, work and play with them.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have three dogs, and each has different needs. My older Golden likes to catch a ball. He'll do this until he tires, and then he just doesn't bring it back. He is satisified with a short grooming time, and truly doesn't require a lot of one on one time. If I am really busy - I can even play fetch with him while I'm cleaning up the back yard, or watering the plants etc.

My mini doxie loves to cuddle. She is easy, I give her time when I'm on down time. If my day is really hectic, then I'll spend time with her while I'm in bed (she sleeps in our bed). I make sure I talk directly to her as she really feels special when I do.

Hondo (GSD) requires the most amount of time because of his age. He still has lots of energy and I have to make sure I help him spend it all each day. If I'm short of time I might just walk out to the pasture with him and let him run. He enjoys it, and some times I'll catch up on missed calls while I'm letting him unwind. When my work schedule is heavy, I've been known to bring him to the office on the weekend to combine my work schedule with his work schedule.

You just have to be able to keep in check what it is you are trying to accomplish, and see where two things can blend into one when you start feeling the pressure. You'd be suprised how talented you are at multi tasking...you can empty the dishwasher and roll a ball across the kitchen....you can fix dinner while working on "leave it".....you learn to BBQ more because you can cook dinner and play outside with your dog at the same time....you can have an entire conversation with you dog during a commercial....

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
How do you find time for all of them AND afford all of their expenses? Dogs can get quite expensive, so how do you balance a good job with animal care/ bonding? Just curious. I know this is kind of personal, so If you'd rather not answer that is okay.
The last four years I was working before I retired I had four dogs. I did a lot with each one, maybe not at the same time or same place, but each dog had a lot of time spent separately with me and together with me. We went to obedience classes and herding classes after work, went to doggy functions such as herding clinics or obedience matches or shows on the weekends. Often we went to dog friendly picnics and get-togethers.

Expenses were high because Tex had a lot wrong with him. Fortunately my job paid enough I could keep up with him. My worst financial nightmare came a few years ago, after I retired. I had three seniors at the same time who all had expensive medical problems. I'm on a limited income and am still paying off those bills.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I work at home so it is a bit easier, like posted already each one has different needs, even though I'm here all the time, they still don't understand we can't play 24/7 and it is expensive, my vet let's me make payments, my GF is the same, she has 3 Afghan hounds, 3 cutting horses, and works 2 jobs, when we go out on the week end, most of the time we will have no less than 3 dogs with us, lol, bout once a month we go somewhere by ourself's

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Bonding is not an issue with my 3. Since I am single, I do okay keeping up with their training. One dog is a freeloader and doesn't have to work, but she's happy when she gets mommy time in the form of a walk. I am only training obedience right now, so that's not much work. Expenses can get up there. Since I now track everything I spend, I wonder if I should have stuck with 2 dogs - or 1.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I work full time. Gabor runs the dog part of the business and other business (self based). Even with that, there is a saturation with the number of dogs that you need to be cognizant about. You need to be able to spend the quality time with the dogs and provide quality care.

Depends on status of dogs as well. Puppies, young dogs, training, competition, work.

Or, you could do as some people. Foster out females, hire trainers/handlers/whelpers in the respect that only 2-3 dogs total live with you and other dogs are other locations full time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My family has four dogs right now. It's never been a big problem affording them. We would have never added another dog to our family if we thought money was going to be an issue. And we have a house, and huge yard, so space isn't an issue either.

Beauty is 12, and her hips bother her so she doesn't require much exercise at all. She has never been a really high energy dog, and now she is very content to sleep in the living room all day and every once in a while go out to chase the deer who dare to venture into our yard.

The other 3 are toy breeds (Poms and a Chihuahua) so they don't take up much room or eat huge amounts of food ;). Two of them will get hyper at times and need a walk. But we have 6 people in our family, and there is at least 1 of us home at all times, so none of our dogs lack in the attention area. We are usually fighting over who gets to hold them :)

I know my GSD (coming soon) will require much more attention and exercise than any of the other dogs. But I'm ready and excited!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have 4 :)
Plus a husband and 2 children.
2 GSDs, Samoyed and Chihuahua. We kid that it's only 3.5 dogs since the Chi counts as a 1/2!

I do work from home which allows the extra time to spend with each one. But, 2 of mine are seniors. My Chi is 10 and Samoyed is 9 so their exercise needs are dwindling.

As for medical needs, they are all on a different schedule thus the "regular checkup" bills don't pile in at once. And since we go through about 80 pounds of dog food per month I buy in bulk with another good friend who also has 4 large dogs. Other than that, we just plug along.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
The first year with a dog, I spend lots of time, socializing and taking them to training classes, at least once a week pretty much the whole year.

After that, I am a little more sporadic. I tend to work with whomever I am working on a title with, and then fit another dog in. most of my dogs usually go through at least one set of classes per year. But puppies, up to that first title, usually get a lot more.

And that is ok.

Training classes are my one on one time with individual dogs, kind of like when we were kids, my dad would take us fishing, one by one. We got a turn.

So I make training fun, fun, fun for them. I do not care if it is perfect. I care that me and the dog are having a good time. Perfect is in heaven. But it does get better and better.

While working full time, I often spent three nights a week in classes with sometimes five dogs -- two separate classes same night to save gas, and in class with one or two dogs on Saturday as well. When I am not working full time, money for training classes goes way down. But I still try to work one or two dogs regular, starting with puppies.

I think every day, working or not you spend a little time with each dog, go over them, let them run in the field, give them a few commands and do what it is they like to do. I have some that are super athletic, others who are obedience-type dogs, and others that are just plain goof balls. I think that it makes sense to cater to the dog the time you have.

I do not think that there is that much more time when you are not working. I find that looking for jobs, is just as time consuming, and knowing you have all day, means you do not get out there and DO something, like you do when you have a limited amount of time.

Another thing I do with them, is I will take a couple into town, and go for a short walk and then sit on a bench with just one of them at a time. Jenna's walk usually includes lots of fun obstacles, while Babs' generally is off-lead. Heidi's is more bench time, Milla's we tend to go to some fenced areas where I can let her run about a little.

It really depends on the dogs. They do not all need the exact same things. Good thing too.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have 3 dogs. My husband and I both work full time, I take care of all the animals. I will admit as I am getting older it's getting harder. I didn't plan on 3, it just kind of happened. I have a 8yr old male and a 6yr old female. So thier exercise levels are on the lower end. I am used to juggling medical bills. The 6yr old has been on siezure meds since November 2005 along with that is a lot of blood tests. Now I was informed by my vet that she feels my male has arthritis pretty bad so he's on meds now. My newest addition, is now 1 and she is good as long as we get out for a walk.
I get up at 5am but I don't have to leave the house until 7:50 so I use my morning time for exercise.
I also have 2 horses (one is 34 & the other is 11), 2 cats and a fish tank. I never thought I would agree with my husband, but I have to admit I would like to down scale. My animals are with me for life, but when they go I don't think I'll look to add any newbies.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have four at this moment and four is my limit.These are all pets/companions. I don't work so I'm with the dogs 24/7.I have 2 14 yr.old GSDx, a 10 year old pit, and a 10 week old pup. When my husband is at work, I have a retired friend come over so that I can give each dog an individual walk. We have a lot of health issues related to their advanced ages so I don't like to leave them unattended.

My best beloved dog, my pit-bull/amstaff thing, has lymphoma. We were prepared to go through the whole chemo protocol which costs about 8 grand, but she wasn't able to tolerate it. She's on a modified chemo at home which costs about $500.00 a month. My husband has a good income and we live fairly modestly but we racked up quite the credit card bill with her illness. We'll cut back on other things.

And then we have puppy! I'm already living a dog-centric life and it was depressing to focus on age and illness so I got a pup. It's a lot of work to keep everyone happy but I think the seniors are enjoying more treats and attention and the pup adores the pit-bull who is very tolerant. I watch everyone and monitor every interaction because
vigilance now prevents future problems.

I'm tired but happy. I waited a long time to own dogs and I feel very lucky to have such good girls-plus boy pup.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We have 4 dogs. I use to be a Realtor and I had a good savings. My husband is a disabled vet with a settlement, so we do pretty well.
We had 3 of the dogs already before he was diagnosed with MS
plus we don't smoke, drink very little and don't eat out but once a month. I do have several cc that on occasion I rotate out for vet expenses. Example past 30 days I have spent $1500 in vet bills, but my dogs are getting older.

I would never get a dog unless I could afford at least $$$$ on each of them freely ...that's just me and the budget we have set. Otherwise we are very stingy with our spending.

Attention? I have a 400 sq ft play room for the dogs, that is gated and I spend individual quality time with them in there. I also walk each dog separately and rotate them on a daily basis.
It was a breeze until I added the last one to the mix, now we are sorting out some issues, but when I go to other people's houses with just one or two dogs, I realize we almost have this dog thing down to a science lol

I just get exhausted by weekly washing of all the bedding, mopping, vacuuming, picking the poop and brushing them or taking them to the groomer/vet etc..the play time is very rewarding! I wish I had a helper though.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I''m down to 3 right now, my 2 aussies and my gsd Masi..I work part time, so it affords me alot of time to spend with the dogs..The aussies are seniors now tho still very active.

Masi is my main focus, she goes everywhere with me except work:)

Up until 2 years ago, I had 4 dogs in the house for 'years'..so having 3 is actually a little easier.

Vet bills? well I've spent thousands over the years for this or that, right now, knock on wood, I have 3 pretty healthy dogs so no vet trips in a couple years:)

I will always have multiple dogs, but right now I've put myself on a self imposed limit of 3:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's great to see how everyone handles multiple dogs :)

The key to success is different for everyone, as you can see. But I think it boils down to time management and the drive to make sure everyone's needs are met. And a good schedule!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts