German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This bill has a definition of pain and suffering far too vague and broad. By this new definition socializing an anxious dog would count as abuse since they would be in mild mental discomfort. If you live in Washington I’d make a big fuss and reach out to your representatives/senators pronto.

I can’t imagine the abuse cases that will be reported due to genetically nervy dogs that may be fearful. There are many people that think that any dog that submissively pees has been abused. Along with ecollars, prong collars, haltis. Heck anything that the dog doesn’t like would count as suffering. My roommate’s dog sounds and acts like she’s being murdered when her nails are being trimmed. I’ve never got the quick on her.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Write your politicians. This crazy legislation is all over the country. PA is looking at a bill that you can't leave your dog outside for more than 15 minutes. No more hiking, unless it's to the mailbox and back.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Write your politicians. This crazy legislation is all over the country. PA is looking at a bill that you can't leave your dog outside for more than 15 minutes. No more hiking, unless it's to the mailbox and back.
Some crazy legislation out there. After thinking about it and reading more while it probably isn’t as bad as it seemed, this one I still think is too vague. Because anything done knowingly that is considered unnecessary would be 2nd degree animal abuse. Who decides what is and isn’t necessary?
It just seems like a foot in the door for stricter more extreme AR group laws.

I no longer easily trust any bills that HSUS supports because there was a bill in my state protecting working animals that HSUS was saying was terrible and would make dog fighting legal.
Also HSUS just lost their charity status on websites that rate charities. If you’re gonna donate, donate to local shelters and programs!

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Those vet visits are pretty stressful for dogs.....People too when they get the bill. Seriously though, contact your reps, most are good people and the process from bill to law can be lengthy, that and changes are typically made if it does make it through.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
PA is looking at a bill that you can't leave your dog outside for more than 15 minutes. No more hiking, unless it's to the mailbox and back.
I'm sure you're being facetious, but in case you seriously mean that hiking is an activity that would actually be possible to get in trouble for, are you sure they don't mean that you can't leave your dog outside unattended in your backyard for more than 15 minutes? Or is the point of the law no being outside for more than 15 minutes no matter what? Because there is no way that would actually pass. I'm not even sure how they would enforce that, save putting cameras in every single person's backyard to have proof the dog was outside too long. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
I'm sure you're being facetious,
^^^This

But like the bill originally posted here, the terms are vague. So whose to say? The current 30 minutes without shelter exempted sport and hunting dogs. This 15 minute law does not. So...my dog is in my car all day long when we are training and trialing. Think about that. All it would take is someone with a phone to video the dog outside for 16 minutes. How about outside kennels? 15 minutes...how do we acclimate our dogs to temperatures if they are not allowed outside? This puts them in danger physically.

At Nationals this year, a spectator caught a cop ready to break into a car and take the dogs because someone called and said there were dogs in cars. Yes, in car, trucks, haulers...there were dogs everywhere.

People need to call their politicians.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I would be more curious as to exactly what pain and suffering was the catalyst behind the law.

Regarding the PA law, I have not seen it but it sounds like something instigated by dog haters rather than any kind of AR activists.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be more curious as to exactly what pain and suffering was the catalyst behind the law.

Regarding the PA law, I have not seen it but it sounds like something instigated by dog haters rather than any kind of AR activists.
I’d guess it’s more about the leaving a dog outside in extreme temperatures sort of thing. Lots of people will call worried about dogs left outside. When I was younger we had two dogs with well insulated dog houses full of straw. I’d go in there and use it as a fort in winter and it was pretty dang cozy, could take my coat off.

I’d have to look at the law to see if it’s 15 minutes straight up or without shelter etc. to get a read on it.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Y'all are welcome to look it up. I'm from PA, and it could effect my dogs drastically, so I read it pretty thoroughly and understood the difference between with shelter and without.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Where I live a couple years ago they passed a similar law about time left outside. Our law states that a dog can NOT be left hitched/chained outside unattended for more than 20 minutes. I don't think it's strictly enforced but used more as an avenue to prevent neglect cases where people leave their dogs hitch on chains or on wire runs all day/night.
That purposed bill is pretty vague and really needs work before it goes forward.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow. No longer than 15 minutes? That's crazy! You know what I would do? I'd bring the dog in every 15 minutes for a minute then let him right back out! :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
And an AI robot because the groundhog has to be outside for ten minutes every year? Now that is a little over doing it...Speaking of AI animals, you can now buy an AI dog for the same price as a real one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts