German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Ranger since he was 7 weeks old. We also have an Aussie that is 11.5 years old. The Aussie really seems to be getting older fast. We have never had two dogs at a time and I am starting to wonder what we should expect when our older dog passes. Ranger has never been an only dog. Even when we travel he has always gone to a home with other dogs. So my question is do you think he will go nuts by himself? For those of you with two dogs, how did your surviving dog react to the loss?

Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Test your theory, take away your other dog and see how he reacts. Some people swear that when the older dog passes letting the other dog see and smell the body of the deceased dog allows them to accept it, they mourn, and are fine. On the other hand my Samoyed will go crazy when my Shiba passes (which is how I ended up with my GSD).

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Depends on the dog, some are more sensitive then others.

Our first dog growing up Woody was diagnosed with cancer at 11, my parents bought a puppy before he passed away. He lived for another 3 months or so before he was too ill, my mom brought Woody's collar back from the vet after he was put to sleep and laid it on the coffee table in the living room. We noticed the collar had disappeared and we found it in the puppy's crate, she was curled around it sleeping. She never chewed it, just slept with it for a few days before we took it away. We kept her busy and after 2-3 days she bouced back and was fine.

My parents had three dogs, two were put down the same day, one due to old age and the other due to illness. The dog left went into serious mourning for months, barely eating and was very listless. They brought home a new puppy and she was very snappy with it, not allowing it near her without growling. She's old and sore and still doesn't like the puppy who is now 2 very much

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think that grief in dogs is a very individual process, just as it is for people.

dog grief TheOtherEndoftheLeash is a two-post series on the phenomenon of grieving dogs that I found interesting. As ever, the comments are worth reading too. :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I haven't had to deal with this yet but I do suspect that if my older one passes first, my younger guy is going to become way more insecure. I see it now if they're separated for some reason. My younger one lacks confidence and when the older one is not around you see it more.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Completely depends on the dog. I've had a few dogs pass in my house and my dogs didn't care at all. My parent's dog however did when his best friend passed and he passed shortly after.

I've noticed that dogs who spend 5+ years with each other tend to react more harshly, as do older dogs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for the input. Ranger is 14 months so he has been with Buzz for about a year. I started thinking aobut him without Buzz a couple of days ago when my husband and I split up on a walk. My husband had Ranger and I had Buzz and we just took two different routes home. It was only a short seperation - less than 5 minutes. My husband said that the minute we split up Ranger went kind of nutty and I noticed that as we saw each other again both dogs excitedly pulled towards each other. I really don't want two dogs after Buzz is gone. We didn't really expect to have Ranger, but things happen and sometimes a dog comes into your life when you least expect it. I would really like to have obe dog at a time, but I am concerned that Ranger will be lonely, especially when we leave him home alone. He always has his buddy for company when we are out. He hasn't been crated in months and the two of them just get along very well.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
our gsd passed last christmas. our airedale still looks for her. often runs upstairs to the "spot" she slept in. when some one comes home he still waits by the door to see if she is coming in after who ever just came home is already in. i believe he will always look for her. the 2 jrts have moved on.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
When Cody passed it was very hard on Clipper, he acted like he just didn't know what to do with himself. I had left the seat cover and Cody's leash in the car till I brought his ashes home, Clipper and Hooch got all excieted at first, but then when Cody didn't come in you could tell they knew he wasn't coming back. Hooch went and laid down with his head on his paws. Clipper went to the bridge 9 months after Cody. He turned all of his love and attention to us, he never was too interested in Hooch, but did seem to appreciate his presence. Clipper and I mourned and cryed together over our loss of Cody. Now with Clipper gone, Hooch is going thru a time of depression. At first, like with Cody, he didn't realize at first that Clipper wasn't coming back. As days passed he started not wanting to go out after dark, and not wandering the yard as usual. He lays around and sleeps more. We take him on car rides and love on him but he clearly misses Clipper, even though they weren't best buddies like Cody and Clipper were. They miss their canine companions, that is for sure.

·
Registered
637 Posts
my male dog does not do well alone , when my last dog passed he became very destructiive, co dependent, got SA, and was a basket case.... yet he is Dog aggressive /dog reactive lol.. it took me 2 years to find the right match for him, once i did he stopped all the bad behaviors and became normal again. my other dogs i had they didnt care when one passed. it all depends on the dog itself...

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest was an only dog for a while, then I got an older lab. I knew we didn't have much time with him and my oldest got used to having him around rather quickly. They did everything together. 6 months before the lab died I got my golden. Once the lab passed away the puppy and my other dog were inseparable. It worked out well. I didn't see to many signs of depression, the puppy kept her busy. The four I have now are very close and I'm sure that anyone of them leaving would cause some kind of disruption.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Lucky was never an only dog and he and Daisy were inseparable. not saying they loved each other but they did yard patrols laid on the deck together and played .Lucky after we lost Daisy was depressed and when the girls came was excited but I think at times his expression is dang I was an only child. He does seem more Lucky like this summer then he was last after we lost our older girl.It is difficult topredict just know like us dogs need time to deal w/ a loss.Sounds like Ranger is a pretty social guy who is used to canine companionship.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
When Sandi passed, Oz was more velcro like, he became depressed, but really he handled that year like a champ. Well 14 months.
September 09 - filed for divorce
December 09 - Moved into an old victorian home I bought that was converted to apartments
January 10 - went on a snowmobile trip that ended early and we flew home
March 10 - found out I was pregnant
June 10 - married dh
June 10 - Sandi passed
October 10 - bought the Paris home
November 10 - moved to Paris, dh was away on a work trip
November 10 - had the baby

So for a dog whose owner went through the three most stressful things you can do in your life in a 9 month period, he actually did very well. We adopted Dolly in 2011 as a companion for him and it has worked well.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
We have had Ranger since he was 7 weeks old. We also have an Aussie that is 11.5 years old. The Aussie really seems to be getting older fast. We have never had two dogs at a time and I am starting to wonder what we should expect when our older dog passes. Ranger has never been an only dog. Even when we travel he has always gone to a home with other dogs. So my question is do you think he will go nuts by himself? For those of you with two dogs, how did your surviving dog react to the loss?

Thanks.

We've always had a pack. Buddy was one of 5 dogs we had. The kids grew up the seniors passed away and we were down to Buddy and his brother Shadow. Then Shadow was diagnosed with DM. It was hard on all of us. We thought we would lose Buddy too. He went into a terrible depression. We spoiled him rotten took him with us as much as we could but nothing really helped. So we started looking for another dog and wound up with Ivan. In all honesty we let Buddy choose him. We visited several rescues and finally found Ivan right here in our own local shelter. He was the only dog Buddy seemed the slightest bit interested in. A puppy but not super young. 4 -5 months. It made all the difference Buddy was a happy camper again. A few months after that we came across Tasha totally by accident and she was totally for us another GSD. Buddy was unhappy at first, but caved within the first week. Now Buddy was happy he had a family again and we were all happy too. Finally Wiggles joined our pack and made it complete we have the two grumpy older shepherds and the two wiggling little labs and it feels right. Unfortunately Buddy is slowing down. I see it in his eyes more every day. I think we will lose him soon and Ivan will be crushed. I hope having Wiggles and Tasha will help Ivan. Nothing will help me. I'm going to be a wreak.

·
Registered
79 Posts
owners of multiple dogs

Seemed like I had Cuddles forever before I got Bear who worshipped the ground she walked on. Cuddles died first, 3 months shy of 18 years old. Bear was devastated. He died 4 months later, 1 month shy of being 11 years old. I've since decided I will never be without a dog and most likely will have 2 because it is so good for them.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
The two surviving dogs went on an anorexia spree of several months after the death of their doggy leader. He was euthanized at home after being sedated with valium first. They saw his body and lied next to it for a while. When burying him one of the others was trying to jump in he grave onto him. It was heart breaking but good at the same time.He was the greatest teacher dog I have ever met and it took me a lot of effort to keep the two eating. I am sure they would have starved themselves if I had not spoiled them with tasty food. It's been two years and he is still missed very much.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have never had a dog do anything I would call " grieve".

I have had dogs comfort me after a loss. But they moved on right away. Maybe they act subdued or upset because their owner is??? I don't know. I was inconsolable when my Ike passed. Embarrassed to admit that my two remaining dogs missed a meal that night. Realized it the next morning.

One thing I did notice. But not until a few months later. My Lab, Phoster, had what I call psychogenic drinking. So bad that her USG was 1.0000. Those in the business get what that means. For everyone else, it means her urine was so dilute it did not register. I actually blame it for starting her seizures. I noticed, once Ike had crossed, she stopped drinking so much. She no longer pees in my house. I think there was some weird pack dynamic happening that I never realized. I don't know.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the interesting stories. I must admit that they make me a little worried. Ranger is very sociable and seems to really depend on Buzz. I expect that Ranger will be much happier if he has a doggy companion and I really don't think that I want two dogs at once after this. I hope I am wrong and Ranger can adjust to being an only.

Buzz on the other hand would forget about Ranger in about a day if Ranger passed - LOL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depends a lot on the individual dog in question.
We had 2 german shepherds up until 2 weeks ago.
We had a 10 year old female, "Angel" and a 5 year old male "Storm"
Angel 2 weeks ago passed away from cancer.
Storm as far as his behaviour at home is pretty much the same as always.
When we went to where Angel is buried, (in her favorite place in the world where she loved to run and play frisbee) Storm went and lay on her grave and whined and cried for over a half hour, until we couldn't stand to watch any more and we had to grab his collar and drag him away.
He has been fine since then though.
Hope this helps, best of luck to you!
Eric

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think, when Buzz passes, you will be there to help Ranger pick up the pieces and move on. Ranger will take his cues from you. As a child would.

My Lillian has survived two other dogs, both were fourteen, and passed within a year of one another. The GSD went first. Skada died of old age, in the vet's office with assistance, and came back into our home as ashes in a box. Skada had been my mother's dog and spent most, but not all, of his senior years with Lillian and I. He was back and forth, so I don't think she realized he had passed... She probably thought he had just gone back to Grandma's house.

Polo, a Jack Russell, had lived with us for two years when he escaped one night and was hit by a car. Devastated, yet grateful to the woman who read his tags and called us the next morning, we recovered his intact remains. Brought him home and he was in the house almost a full day before my partner recovered his wits and we were able to bury him in the back yard. Lillian mourned over that dog for weeks. She tried to dig him up, she carried every toy outside and placed it on his grave, and she refused to come inside. She spent every moment lying with all the toys in the shallow hole she had dug above his resting place... It seemed she thought he was only in some sort of time out, and if she waited, he would jump up ready to play. We tried to distract her and redirect her, but weimaraners are willful, and we were unsuccessful in our efforts... Unwilling to physically drag her away. Our savior was the kitten who had moved in shortly before Polo passed. That kitty deserves credit for bringing Lillian back inside the house...Lillian had a Baby to tend to, and carry around on her shoulders;) (that orphaned kitty Demanded Lillian's attention, lol), and "Baby Ki-Ki!" helped her immensely.

Long story short... Lillian is now a senior. Spry and fit, but shows more grey every day. And my Miss Mattie is a senior, as well. My Jack will most likely survive them both. And so, as much as I wish the girls to pass at home in my arms, for Jack's sake, I will only bring home ashes. No corpses. Nothing Jack can smell, nothing he can watch me bury and and mourn over. I would rather he doesn't miss them because they "just stayed at day care today" or some other nonsense.

Silly, I know :( They say, dogs live in the moment. How we humans choose to memorialize that moment has an impact. Just my experience.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts