German Shepherds Forum banner

For or Against Spaying/Neutering?

• I am against spaying/neutering dogs but my dog(s) are fixed.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I am for spaying/neutering dogs, but my dog(s) are unaltered.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I am against spaying/neutering and my dogs are unaltered.

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • I am for spaying/neutering and my dogs are fixed.

Votes: 65 57.0%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you for or against spaying females or neutering males? If you have a GSD or other dogs, are they spayed/neutered?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I am all for it, if the dogs are not being shown in conformation or future plans to breed. and yes, all the dogs I have/had ended up being s/n, tho some were later than others because I was showing them

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
My dogs are unaltered. But I would never say I was against spaying or neutering. I think altering your pet can be the best thing for some pet owners. But I also support responsible pet owners being allowed to keep their animals intact without penalty.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm only against it if the dog is owned by irresponsible people who won't watch to make sure their dog isn't going to get pregnant/impregnate another dog and increase the population that much more. However, if they plan to breed and have good intentions for their breeding, them I'm fine with it.

Our dogs are all fixed because they weren't going to be bred, and so there's no need for them to be intact.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My dogs are both altered because one if from a oops litter and the other is a from a shelter.

There bad owners of both altered and unaltered pets. If someone can be a responsible pet owner of an unaltered pet then I don't see why they have to have them spayed/neutered. If your dog is a mixed breed/stray/BYB then the animal should be spayed/neuetered.

If someone is showing or plans on showing their dog, or plans to be a breeder and is going to title their dog etc and want to better the breed then I don't see why they have to spay or neuter.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Are you for or against spaying females or neutering males? If you have a GSD or other dogs, are they spayed/neutered?

I’m for spaying. However, I think spaying at the right time is important. I do plan on having Miikka spayed; I just don’t want to do it until she is a little older. Say, around 2, or so.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I am FOR it and my dogs have all been spayed.

For me, it's to assure, really really know, that NEVER will a dog I have be responsible for a pup that ends up in a shelter. Cause I know that though I may be ever so careful, once a puppy is out of my hands, I can't be 100% sure the new owner is going to keep their part of the bargain. And even if that puppy is in a 'good' home for it's life, what about if THEY breed it (on purpose or accidentally) and so on.

The only way I know that NEVER will any dog under my responsiblity end up in a shelter or horrible home is by spaying/neutering. So I do.

And bless all the great responsible breeders who are able to weed out good owners from bad, keep track of all the pups forever, give out LIMITED registration to help prevent unregistered litters from coming about.

And bless everyone that gets their dogs from a shelter or rescue!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I am for it but think it is up to the owner not the city council! Max is not neutered yet but will be once he is grown. I understand why shelters do it but here they will do puppies as young as 9 weeks. Its sad because they really do not know how that will affect the dog removing hormones at such a young age.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I am for it though not so much for males where I see little health benefit for doing so, but females yes. My Zoe will be spayed around Christmas before her second heat- I think females should go through that first heat:) My male lab is 8 and unaltered and will remain this way forever.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am FOR IT for irresponsible owners, especially those who simply neglect to do so and then allow their dogs to roam. I am very supportive of those who chose not to alter their dogs for reasons such as responsible breeding and conformation.
I never planned on showing or breeding and was very unexcited about dealing with a heat cycle, so I went ahead and fixed my two at 8 months. I also couldn't risk having an accidental litter from my brother/sister set, but instead of fixing one or the other, I went ahead and did both at the same time.

·
Registered
32,477 Posts
I am FOR it and my dogs have all been spayed.

For me, it's to assure, really really know, that NEVER will a dog I have be responsible for a pup that ends up in a shelter. Cause I know that though I may be ever so careful, once a puppy is out of my hands, I can't be 100% sure the new owner is going to keep their part of the bargain. And even if that puppy is in a 'good' home for it's life, what about if THEY breed it (on purpose or accidentally) and so on.

The only way I know that NEVER will any dog under my responsiblity end up in a shelter or horrible home is by spaying/neutering. So I do.

And bless all the great responsible breeders who are able to weed out good owners from bad, keep track of all the pups forever, give out LIMITED registration to help prevent unregistered litters from coming about.

And bless everyone that gets their dogs from a shelter or rescue!

How does that work?

·
Registered
32,477 Posts
I am totally against it, and my bitches are not spayed. My last three dogs were not neutered. So, at this point, I am the one who voted that way.

I am ok with shelters and rescues alterring dogs in their possession or requiring the people they sell their dogs to, to get them spayed or neutered. The way I figure that is, these dogs are getting an extension. For whatever reason, they landed in a pound, which is often a death penalty. If they are given a new lease on life but must be spayed/neutered to assure they are not perpetuating the problem, then it makes sense.

But I am against doing an operation on a healthy animal to remove hormones that are a part of the intricate systems of their anatomy. I do not buy that they only affect the dog's reproductive system. I believe that the risks of spay/neuter outweigh the benefits, so long as the people owning them are responsible and do not allow them to breed indescriminately.

Making laws that require dogs to be spayed or neutered or charging people more on licensing fees for having intact dogs is completely disgustingly unfair and wrong.

Cats create as much if not more of a problem than stray dogs, and no one is even asked to register them. No one has to pay extra for an intact horse or cow or pig or chicken. You can argue that dogs make up more of the shelter population, but out here, they just claim there is no more room for cats once they are full up. And though horses and cows, sheep, goats and other livestock are not siezed as often, they take a lot more space and care when they are.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
How does that work?
Not sure if I just wrote it poorly. Most people that are irresponsible breed just for the $$$$ and you get more $$$$$ with a litter that comes with a registration (at least in my area).

So if you can't register the puppies and can't make all the money on the puppies, people I know tend to NOT breed their unregistered or dogs with a limited registration.

Limited Registration

Limited Registration means that the dog is registered but no litters produced by that dog are eligible for registration.

·
Registered
32,477 Posts
Yes, selling puppies on a limited registration would mean resultant puppies would be unregistered, or unregistratable by AKC. So it would actually increase the number of unregistered puppies. Though some of the people will not bother to try to make a bundle breeding them.

I am not sure it works though.

There are puppy buyers, and puppy buyers out there. AKC registration is not necessarily the end all for all people. You can take your limited registration puppy and put other registration, like Continental Kennel Club registration on it, breed it every single time, sell the pups wholesale 50-100$ per to pet stores and by quatity and lack of care, make money on it.

So limited registration does not stop our dogs from landing in puppy mills, or from being bred.

The answer is to find the best home for your puppies.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm for and against if that makes sense. My rescues all have to be fixed but my non rescues dont have to be. I'd prefer my females be fixed so i dont have to deal with heat cycles and the blood drops on the floor and any place else they go and i dont have to deal with roaming males causing trouble to get them my girls. Waiting to have Shelby and Shasta fixed until they're 2 years old. For males, i'd prefer they remain intact. Riley would be intact if he hadnt been a rescue boy.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
As long as it is for medical reasons I have nothing against spay and neuter.
I am also for it as long as its done responsibly but when it comes down to spaying 8 week old puppies than I am HIGHLY against it!

I only have it done for medical reasons other than that I don't have my dogs spayed and neutered. And as for having an intact male and intact female... well... I practice common sense. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am against spaying/neutering too early or if there are no reasons to spay or neuter- no behavioral problems, and no health problems. I neutered my lab 3 days before I read about how dangerous it was to do it at a young age, with nothing but "how great it is for him" from my vet.

The information I have found and the pushy-ness of vets has made me dispise the thought of spaying and neutering BUT I would do it if there were behavioral problems or severe health problems my dog had that I hands-down would not want him passing on.

The way I see it, there is always a CHANCE an un-altered dog COULD reproduce. Some may argue that but if the parts are there, they can be used; that's just how it is, and it's a chance we all take if we choose not to spay/neuter. NOT my intentions in the least, but if my dog had a severe disease or was acting out I would neuter him ASAP.

I AM however a fan of it if the owners are irresponsible, such as: You'll never believe it, Trixie got out again. She's in heat and has been gone for 4 days, the bitch better not come back pregnant or I'll flip!!!

Or the guy I got Arlo from: "It was an oops litter. I was cleaning the cages and the dogs were together. I must have turned my back for a few minutes, because now there's puppies! And there's another litter in the house."

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There are puppy buyers, and puppy buyers out there. AKC registration is not necessarily the end all for all people. You can take your limited registration puppy and put other registration, like Continental Kennel Club registration on it, breed it every single time, sell the pups wholesale 50-100$ per to pet stores and by quatity and lack of care, make money on it.

So limited registration does not stop our dogs from landing in puppy mills, or from being bred.

The answer is to find the best home for your puppies.
I agree.

Limited Registration stops responsible pet owners, but makes no impact on irresponsible pet owners...

I recently saw an AD in our local paper for Puppies!!!- no papers. Dad full blooded Pointer, But Mom AKC Registered Lab (limited or not, idk)!!!!!!! Woo HA! People use the AKC to sell pups whether or not they are registerable....and people tend to think if the dog is "full-blooded" it's worth more, breeding rights or not.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts