German Shepherds Forum banner

For or Against: Raw Meat Feeding?

• I am for feeding my dog or dogs raw meat.

Votes: 70 61.9%
  • I am in the middle. I'm okay with processed or raw.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • I am against feeding my dog or dogs raw meat.

Votes: 5 4.4%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe in feeding your dog or dogs raw meat?

I'm in the middle, I could go either way.

I understand that dogs are really just domesticated wolves, but does that really mean they should be fed like wolves?

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
I feed my dogs a RAW diet. Feeding dogs RAW really has little to do with domesticated dogs descending from wolves. IMO, it's about feeding an unprocessed, species appropriate diet.

I also feed my cat a RAW diet. Do you know that cat's are obligate carnivores? They can NOT survive without eating meat because of their body does not produce the necessary components to survive so they have to get it from meat. Primarily taurine.

Do you know that most cat food is primarily made up of corn and by-product meal? So an animal that can not survive without meat is being fed corn and ground up, dehydrated chicken feet...doesn't make alot of sense, does it?

The animal foods of today are made of the cheapest ingredients and then supplemented with the necessary vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. Why buy crap when I can buy the real thing for 1/2 the price? That's not including the grain free foods. That's a whole different topic.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
For.

I don't raw feed myself because of cost and space but I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I agree with Jax... RAW is best for you dog. Even though I feed my dog a cup of TOTW in the AM and RAW in the eveing just so he gets every thing he needs.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I'm for raw feeding, and have been feeding raw for almost 4 yrs. Never have had a problem with the diet, I only see the benefits!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I feed both, and I since I have, I've noticed that Hondo (who is normally a picky eater) eats his kibble like he is starving. I've had to back off the amount of kibble because he is packing on the pounds. And I enjoy the look on Hondo's face when he is eating it. He loves it!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I am not against RAW, I think that it is great for dogs and I love that people feed it to them. I am just not smart enough to figure all of the stuff out, balancing the ingredients and what not so I feed both of my dogs TOTW.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
100% for, but only provided the owner puts the effort into ensuring a correct and balanced raw diet with plenty of variety. If someone doesn't have the time, energy or inclination to research well and feed appropriately, a pre-made raw or commercial food is the way to go. A good raw diet is IMO the best way of feeding. A bad raw diet could be worse than Ol' Roy.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
100% for! I have been feeding my girl RAW for approx 6 weeks now and apart from the fact that she became a little porker (my fault and have adjusted) I will never go back! She used to be sick all the time with various issues but touch wood....nothing since the change and she LOVES mealtimes now :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm a kibble owner. The cost for RAW and researching and attempting to correctly balance is a lot more than i honestly care to deal with between diaper changes and figuring out the human family meals. Plus we lack the space for RAW for the dogs. personal choice. props for those who feed and vote for it though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I voted for in the middle. I feed commercial food because I feel it is convenient, and having small children I am all for anything that makes my life more convenient. Plus it is less expensive than feeding raw.

I did feed raw for a time during all of those pet food recalls in 2007 because I didn't trust any pet food companies. But it wasn't something I could sustain long term.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
All of my animals are fed raw the moment they step foot in my home.

My 13.5 year old female GSD was raw fed, my 18 month old male GSD is as well and the same goes for my three cats. :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
For, all the way.

I've never heard the term used on here, but in the ferret world, it's often referred to as BARF, which stands for either "bones and raw food," or more appropriately, "Biologically Appropriate Raw Food."

Ozzy is fed kibble, (commercial) raw, and canned. His favorite meal, BY FAR, is raw. My ferret is fed ONLY raw and he's by far the healthiest ferret I've ever met. As someone mentioned cats being obligate carnivores, so are ferrets. Can't digest fruits or veggies and they can cause intestinal blockages.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.