Votes: 13 13.0%
  • I dislike cross breeding.

Votes: 87 87.0%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um, could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an example of cross breeding is the goldendoodle, right? Okay.

So, what are your thoughts on cross breeding? Like taking a golden retriever and breeding it to a poodle.

Is it benefiting the dog world or the opposite?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm totally against it. It's just as you said, cross breeding and it's not doing anyone or anything any good. They're basically mutts.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I don't like or dislike it. If it weren't for mixed breeding I wouldn't have Rosa. I think wide variety in everything (people, plants, animals) benefits the world. I believe those who wish to breed crosses have that right, as do those who breed pure lines. Whether one chooses to own a purebred or mix is up to them.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I believe that, if they DO crossbreed they should be honest about it! Don't call it a new breed, admit that it is a mutt. I voted against because there really isn't anyone doing it properly. They aren't trying to make a new breed, which is a TON of work and careful planning and paperwork/record keeping. They throw 2 dogs together and call them hypo-allergenic. They don't tell buyers that the dog could fall anywhere in size/weight of the 2 breeds used, not to mention that the temperment can be very questionable since the breeds are often on opposite ends of the spectrum. A golden retriever and a poodle are very different in personality. Also, some will use a minature poodle and some will use a standard. Etc Etc...

I remember a few years ago there was work on a new breed. I want to say it was the Kelpie, but I it's too early to remember. That I would approve of - they had a purpose and they put in the work to make it happen. Too often crossbreeding = irresponsible make a $$ breeders

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It depends on the motivation for me. There are cross bred dogs that I would own. I think it can be successful for some purposes. I am not particularly interested in it as a way to produce the next popular pet though.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont like "designer" dogs.

I'm not a huge fan of mixed breeds, I mean yes they are adorable and they are some of the best dogs but it's like a wild card, you dont know how big they are going to get, you dont know how their personality is going to be because chances are your not going to know the parents of that dog.

However I do like the mix of GSD/Husky. I love the looks and the temperment of GSD/Husky mixes though, they all seem to be the same (my mom has one, I have one and I know a couple of people that have some). They are smart, fast learners, beautiful, fast, athletic, talkers (but not as bad as PB Husky's) they are a little bit independent (not glued to you like a GSD, but not as independent as PB Husky's) and they can have GSD coloring or Husky coloring and they could have those beautiful haunting blue eyes. :wub:

I also like GSD/Chow mixes and Rott/Chow mixes.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't like or dislike it. If it weren't for mixed breeding I wouldn't have Rosa. I think wide variety in everything (people, plants, animals) benefits the world. I believe those who wish to breed crosses have that right, as do those who breed pure lines. Whether one chooses to own a purebred or mix is up to them.
I totally agree with this. And there are a lot of purposely bred mixes that are actually used for work or sport. Lurchers, Borderjacks, GSD/Mal crosses, even the Doodles.

Also at some point, adding a different breed to the gene pool of some of the purebreds is going to be the only option for improvement of health. When you have breeds where most of the affected by a genetic disorder and the rest carry it, the only way to improve on health is to outcross. This was the case with Dalmatians and uric acid. All resgitered, purebred Dals have the potential to be stone formers, though not all are because they all have abnormal uric acid. There is a line of Dals that was created by adding a Pointer in one time (first generation was PointerxDal all subsequent generations were only bred to Dals). About half of those dogs have normal uric acid. Unfortunately, while the project was originally intended for these dogs to be adding into the AKC studbook, the DCA members changed their minds and don't want "mixed breeds" in their gene pool. The "backcross project" Dals are still being bred, they just can't be registered.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I voted against because there really isn't anyone doing it properly. They aren't trying to make a new breed, which is a TON of work and careful planning and paperwork/record keeping.
Aren't they doing this with Labradoodles in Australia?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
There are far too many 'mix' breeds at the shelters. IMO, it is just a scam to make money.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They are just mutts. After this whole making mutts and calling them full breeds I started calling my mutt (Shepherd/Doberman) a Sheperman. I swear its a real breed! People always look at me odd when I refer to him as my designer dog the Sheperman lol. But hey, if they can do it with “poo’s” why can’t I? Lol. I agree that they need to be honest. If it was properly done i would be for it but for the most part it seems people just want to make fast cash.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm completely against it in every case except for the cavaliers. Why? Because I don't know ONE cross-breeder that does it right. None do proper hip/eye/cardio/genetic health testings suitable for each breed, none have a guarantee, none have a contract, and so on. As a result of this, I've seen hundreds of dogs dumped in shelters I've worked at, that I KNOW came from a "breeder" breeding mutts.

There's no purpose. They aren't working, they aren't helping a breed, they're just overwhelming the shelters and causing thousands of dogs to be euthanized.

That's not to say I wouldn't own a dog from a breeder like this or adopt a mutt, but I would NOT pay to support a breeder who's knowingly doing this and causing SO many dogs so much pain.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
100% against. We don't need more mixed breeds and for ppl to sell these designer dogs for large bucks is crap. They aren't developing a new breed with any purpose. They are simply creating mixed breeds.

The man who created the first "labradoodle" did so with the intent of a hypoallergenic service dog for a client. Out of the litter, if my memory is correct, only 3 were hypoallergenic. He stated in an interview that he now regrets ever doing so.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm completely against it in every case except for the cavaliers. Why? Because I don't know ONE cross-breeder that does it right. None do proper hip/eye/cardio/genetic health testings suitable for each breed, none have a guarantee, none have a contract, and so on. As a result of this, I've seen hundreds of dogs dumped in shelters I've worked at, that I KNOW came from a "breeder" breeding mutts.

There's no purpose. They aren't working, they aren't helping a breed, they're just overwhelming the shelters and causing thousands of dogs to be euthanized.
Actually there are plenty of breeders of mixed breed who health test, have contracts, etc. Hang out at some flyball tournaments if you want to meet some ;)

There are also quite a few service dog orgs using Doodles now.

Lurchers and long dogs have been used by hunters for more than a hundred years. People must see an advantage to sighthound crosses for hunting in some scenerios over purebred sighthounds.

And IME most mixes at the shelter are not purposely bred, usually the result of an irresponsible owner letting their dog get bred by some other irresponsibly owned dog. For someone looking for a flyball dog, randomly bred shelter mixed breed is not really the equivalent of a Borderjack from a health tested pedigree with parents who have been extremely successful at the sport. If they were, there wouldn't be a market for Borderjacks (or Borderstaffs or Borderwhippets or...). In many cases, saying purposely bred mixes are taking away from people who would be adopting from a shelter is like saying buying a purebred is "taking homes away" from shelter dogs.

The truth is people want different things in and from their dogs. The more a person expects from their dog, the more particular they tend to be about what they look for in both the individual dog and the dog's parents/pedigree. I have known people involved with agility who swore they'd never buy a dog from a breeder and would always get shelter dogs. Now years later, they have dogs bought from breeders out of health tested and proven pedigrees. Often after having major temperament, health or structural issues repeatedly with shelter dogs some of which would not have been as much a problem in a pet home (and some which would have been more of a problem).

Our rescue corgi is really awesome as far as agility goes - extremely driven, extremely fast and really has the potential to be a top dog in his height. Structure wise, I'm not sure how he would have held up to the constant training/trialing required for that level of competition. He's been a fun hobby performance dog for my husband though and that's fine because my husband isn't isn't really interested in competing beyond that level. It was his choice to get a rescue dog when he decided he wanted a corgi and he'll likely get a rescue again.

Curious why you feel it's ok to do crossbreeding with Cavs but anyone else is doing it only for money?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm also not a fan of designer dogs. I'm sorry but theres just too many variables in it and i cant understand or even fathom HAPPILY spending (if i spent that kind of money on a mutt anyway) thousands of dollars on a MUTT!!!! sure its cute but they're ALL cute when they're puppies. If someone is allergic to dogs, they either find a way to work with it or they stay away from dogs. Plain and simple. I dont need or want a dog that was designed for people with allergies because its more often than not the dandruff that is causing the issues. AND i go for certain PUREBREEDS because they have what i'm looking for. I cant be sure i'll get the qualities i'm looking for in a mutt. I wouldnt mind having a doberman/GSD mix but those are two breeds i understand and know what to expect from. Golden Retrievers and Poodles can actually be some of the nastiest tempered animals you've ever encountered for no reason except genetics. I view golden retrievers as stupid because most i've come in contact with have been. I view poodles as ugly and too high maintence because in my mind, they are ugly and in reality they ARE high maintence. I dont need or want an animal that i may or may not have to take to the groomer every 6 weeks because it may or may not have the coat a poodle does. We have Riley. He's a mixed breed. I love him and all. But its also because i understand and know GSDs and border collies. I've always been partial to PB so maybe thats why i'm not a fan of crossbreeding.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I voted against it, but I want to change it. I think you should have put a third choice for "In the middle" people, the people who are against it and for it.

I am against it because of the idiot people who do it just for fun and looks. If you are going to do it for money, because you just want to or for other stupid reasons then cross breeding is bad. Which is why there are so many mixed breeds in shelters, too many people doing irresponsibly(there are also people breeding pure breds irresponsibly).

I am for it ONLY if its for trying to improve another breed for health reasons, to create a better working version of the breed. If there is a real, definite, responsible reason for it, then I am for it. They do it for horses, but there are people doing that irresponsibly too.

If you aren't going to breed responsibly for health, work purposes then don't breed at all whether its a cross breed or purebred.

As for the "designer dogs", they fall into why I am against it. There are some mixes I like, but would only get them at a shelter.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Our last dog was a so called "designer dog"..... Huge mistake, no reliability in something that's not tried and tested true for 50+ years. At only 8 months old she started biting my well mannered children who never scared or hurt her. We ending up placing her in a new home without any children in it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
When there is a purpose for the creation of the dog, I am "for" cross breeding. I'm not really sure why agencies (such as service dog agencies) don't just use poodles. I understand the original purpose of the cross was to create essentially a labrador or golden with so called hypo allergenic fur, but frequently it still causes problems with allergies and it brings me back to - why not use the purebred poodle which is an extremely intelligent animal? The standard poodle is every big as big as the others and with an excellent trainable temperment.

I think crosses can have a place in society, but not to the extent that the general public has taken it. When I see ridiculous mixes on craigslist (I'm not kidding - but right now on our local CL there are german shepherd and mini schnauzer puppies) it just makes me shake my head and sigh with frustration. Or all these people who end up with a random mutt and give it some ridiculous name where I have to sit there and try to figure out what kind of mix the dog is.

Didn't vote because I think think it's as cut and dry as "for or against" cross breeding (at least not in my eyes). All breeds were created from cross breeding. We wouldn't have the german shepherd or any other breed if selective breeding wasn't done early on. But to mix random breeds just for a new fad to make money and no real purpose, no, I don't agree.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Our last dog was a so called "designer dog"..... Huge mistake, no reliability in something that's not tried and tested true for 50+ years. At only 8 months old she started biting my well mannered children who never scared or hurt her. We ending up placing her in a new home without any children in it.
This could have been a issue she was prone to genetically, it could have been an early training/socialization issue or a combination of both. If you go to the aggression section of this forum, you'll find plenty of posts from people who have problems with their GSDs too. People breeding dogs without concern for temperament is not limited to "designer breeds" and people dropping the ball with early training and socialization isn't either.

Golden Retrievers and Poodles can actually be some of the nastiest tempered animals you've ever encountered for no reason except genetics. I view golden retrievers as stupid because most i've come in contact with have been. I view poodles as ugly and too high maintence because in my mind, they are ugly and in reality they ARE high maintence.
:help: They are also popular (Poodles) and extremely popular (Goldens) service dogs, the most competitive breed in competition obedience (Goldens) and the breed that competition obedience was designed for (Poodles). And Goldendoodles/Labradoodles are becoming increasingly popular as service dogs. Guess there must be some smart ones out there...

A lot of people think GSDs are neurotic/flighty/fear biters/aggressive/etc. Often the issue is that the ones those people have had experience with are. Like with Goldens and Poodles, often the dogs people see most are poorly bred examples. I work at a grooming shop and see Goldens a lot and big Poodles fairly often. IME it is not at all common for either breed to be "nasty" (more common to meet nasty or at least very difficult GSDs to be honest). The Goldens can be difficult because many are scared of the dryer or just very exuberant and don't hold still. Most of the big Poodles are really tolerant. The little Poodles tend to have common little dog issues, which often are actually little dog owner issues.

Different dogs appeal to different people for different reasons. You (general) get to decide what dogs you want but not what is right or wrong for other people to want. And that is what the issue of crossing breeds really comes down to. Regardless of how some people feel about it, there are a lot of people who want purposely bred mixes for whatever reason.

Didn't vote because I think think it's as cut and dry as "for or against" cross breeding (at least not in my eyes).
I agree and didn't vote for the same reason.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Just curious what the mix was?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts