German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey’s post about her new pool got me to thinking. Last month we also purchased a kiddie pool for Mikka. There is only one problem – the water gets so dirty so quickly it makes my head spin!! I have to clean it out every single day!! Fortunately, I can use the water to water my garden, but still, it’s a pain in the butt (she loves it though so I don’t want to stop using it). We even have the pool sitting on a slab of concrete (used to be a small basketball court), but it does not help to keep the grass out. She drags in dead grass and loose sand from the yard and it gets the water all dirty!! For those of you with doggie pools, is there something that can be done to help keep the water clean or is it a lost cause?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For me its a lost cause. Cept I have mud in mine. Bella likes to dig as well as swim, I'm sure she would love a pond. Lol I can hear what she's thinkin now. A HUGE POOL MADE OF MUD! WHAT FUN! I wish I had a slap to put it on I'm sure it would help some. I need to change hers now but I need a new hose ours is rotten and old:(

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me its a lost cause. Cept I have mud in mine. Bella likes to dig as well as swim, I'm sure she would love a pond. Lol I can hear what she's thinkin now. A HUGE POOL MADE OF MUD! WHAT FUN! I wish I had a slap to put it on I'm sure it would help some. I need to change hers now but I need a new hose ours is rotten and old:(
Well at least you can wash them out, lol.....my pool pump & filter are struggling with sand, dirt and clumps of hair.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We bought Hondo a baby pool and he loves it. Yes, I had to clean it out every other day, but Hondo was starting to become a real stink baby. Then one day I was sitting in the house watching the dogs play, Hondo went into the pool and laid down. Tug walked over there and peed in the pool. I took the pool out. At least until I get one of those "No Peeing in the Pool" signs.

I'll let them play in the pool on special occasions. Eck. Hondo sleeps in our room, no wonder he was stinking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have to dump Daphne's pool every other day. Daphne will run and jump in it but never lays down in it. It doesn't really get that dirty but both dog's like to drink from it so it is better to keep the water fresh.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using the water for the garden is a good idea. By then the sun has removed all the nasty chlorine. Thanks for the tip.
LOL no problem. Down here in the southwest we have to conserve water anyway we can! My veggies “drink” lots of water so it helps cut costs on the water bill!! :laugh: There's always a silver lining!!!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
We empty everyday but that is mostly because my Dad flips about it staying on the grass too long.. lol. Helps keep the water clean but is a PITA!

Last year when we were out at the property (parents) instead of setting the baby pool up for them some days we would just let them in the inground pool.. lol. Cleaning the fliter is easier than dumping and moving the little pools.. lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I empty ours out about every other day -- 2 big dogs in the water constantly and it gets yucky pretty quickly. Ours is on the cement driveway; I have my teenage boys drag it over to the grass & dump it. In the morning we re-fill it and it starts all over again.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
mine is a never ending battle to keep clean to,,and if it gets just a tiny bit of dirt in it,,those darn dogs won't go near it ! I also use the water for the garden.. Mine has got to be around 15 years old,,it's a heavy duty playschool one..

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I empty Molly's everyday if she hasn't done so herself lol! I do it not only because how muddy it gets but to try and stop the cane toads from helping themselves! She seems to think the muddier the better and has no problem drinking it when it is brown.....hmmmm yum yum!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I empty daily, but during the week I only keep a few inches of water in it. On the weekends I fill it all the way. :) I used to change it twice a week. But I've been seeing raccoon prints in the water, and Kaylee had a case of giardia that I don't know the source of, so...better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Sage liked to splash in the pool then go run in the grass and roll around then back in the pool so I put a tarp down in the grass by the pool and then it became a slip and slide :) I did have to pick it up everyday to keep the grass alive but the water stayed pretty clean

·
Registered
275 Posts
My girl, (and us), are lucky to have more water than we know what to do with, so I keep it clean for her. That can mean changing it 2-3 times some days. She also loves getting sprayed with the hose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last year when we were out at the property (parents) instead of setting the baby pool up for them some days we would just let them in the inground pool.. lol. Cleaning the fliter is easier than dumping and moving the little pools.. lol.
That would be soooo nice. I have a 30' round above ground permanent pool and I wish I could let her in but with a vinyl liner it's just too risky. If I could figure out any reasonable way to make it safe for the pool, I would LOVE to have her in with me.

I got her at the end of summer last year and she stood on the top step and watched. So far she is doing the same this year, but I'm waiting for her to jump. I have a boardwalk with regular wooden steps leading up to it (it's partially buried on one side) not just a pool ladder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts