German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got paid tonight. On pay days i usually go out to wally world after midnight to get some groceries before everyone else shows up and the lines get crazy. Well, heading out just around the corner from my house, there are deer just hanging out in the middle of the road like its cool. I locked my doors (yes because i'm totally convinced those demon animals know how to open car doors!!! lol), flipped on my high beams, revved the engine and charged. The deer scattered. I herded them out of the way. On the way back coming back into housing they're hanging out on either side of the gate. the night guard let me know they were there despite having already seen them. It was nice of him to let me know though.

Well i inched up because the ones who hang around the gate tend to dash out in front of cars like they're playing games or something. I'm creeping up and they're watching me. Then they decide its a good idea from the ones on the left side to dash to the right and vice versa. I rolled my window down and yelled at them, flailing my arms, honking my horn. Just generally being crazy. They hightailed it outta there. Hehe. I REALLY dont like deer. gave them a taste of their own medicine. They like to act like crazy animals dashing out in front of me. Well i like to act like a crazy woman yelling and screaming andjust generally being a lunatic towards them. Maybe they'll stay out of the roads for at least a night or two. Figured someone would get a kick out of my crazy lunatic woman rampage at the deer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have been known to do these types of things. Deer are kind of stupid, no doubt. But, I do not hate them . . . actually, I love them, fresh out of a frying pan. :)
There was a very young fawn I had to help care for. At first I was joking about it being lunch. By the end of the first day the fawn had me quite smitten. She was very sweet and just wanted to be held and to lick my face. Coming form a family with a strong hunting background this was a totally unexpected reaction both from me and the deer. But, you bet I am still looking forward to any kill made this hunting season (as long as its a good shot resulting in quick death, hate to see anything suffer).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I personally like deer and don't think it's that great of an idea to scare them. I live in an area where we do see them during this time of year on the side of the road so it's kind of nice to see them and be reminded that even though the area is so built up with housing and commercial properties, there are still beautiful natural things among us.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I guess my thinking is that if I scare the deer out of the road, it may make the road safer for the people behind me who may not be lucky enough to have noticed them until its too late. Deer in the road can cause death. I do not hate deer, I just don't think they belong in the road. They are much better off (as are drivers) if they stick to the woods and fields. :)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
lol you won't think they are so beautiful when one comes flying in your windshield. I once had one jump off a bank, almost landing on my car! scared the beejus outta me!! Thankfully, I've never hit one, but I follow the old adage that when you see one, there are at least 2 more waiting to jump out of the shadows! Usually from the opposite side of the road! lol

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
:crazy:I really need to drink my coffee before sitting down to the computer. I read this as for people who don't like BEER.

Nevermind.

I do like deer, just not running in front on my car.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
:crazy:I really need to drink my coffee before sitting down to the computer. I read this as for people who don't like BEER.

Nevermind.

I do like deer, just not running in front on my car.

Hahahah...isn't a little early to be thinking about beer LOL!

·
Registered
386 Posts
we don't have a problem out where i live (about 20 miles out of town) but 1. we do have a %#^* ton of antelope running around... im talking in the hundreds... but 2. IN town they have actually given law enforcement rifles to "thin" out the population... they were going to give out licenses to jo blow, but they decided not too.. my theory is shooting, missing, and hitting a house, car, or person o_O (i think that was a good idea)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Today my son is out trying to help with the situation. He has not shot Bambi yet, but he'll go back out this afternoon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I enjoy venison roast; it's veerrrrry good! Don't think I could ever kill one though...maybe if it was a buck coming after me, but I can't envision myself killing one for the meat or for sport. But I'll take a free roast if someone wants to give me one! Always love it when the hunters want to clear out their deep freezers right before hunting season starts and I benefit!!! :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Today my son is out trying to help with the situation. He has not shot Bambi yet, but he'll go back out this afternoon.
last night i took scout for a walk to the mailboxes, and scout started pulling like crazy and barking... i couldn't figure out why until i got to the corner house and 2 guys were skinning a deer... apparently he could smell the nom noms and wanted some pieces LOL

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
lol you won't think they are so beautiful when one comes flying in your windshield. I once had one jump off a bank, almost landing on my car! scared the beejus outta me!! Thankfully, I've never hit one, but I follow the old adage that when you see one, there are at least 2 more waiting to jump out of the shadows! Usually from the opposite side of the road! lol
That's a REALLY good adage to follow!

I used to work about ten minutes out a winding two lane country
road in the very heart of deer country. Pretty much every fall,
some employee would hit one. I did, once... did $1300 damage to
my '86 Honda Accord LX. Employer finally issued "deer whistles"
for the front bumpers of our cars, helped a little, but during the
rut they don't pay attention to anything but the one thing lol!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the two more to follow adage is sooo true around here. deer and i just do NOT get along. Luckily i've managed to avoid hitting them so far but they seem to have passed out a memo to target my car for the last couple years. Up until the last few years we've been good pals keeping out of each others way but when they start dodging out in front of my car like its fun too often for it to be accidental.... yeah, i'm going to start being mean. They needed to get out of the way and considering its a friday night and people are stupid and drink and drive, i'd rather it be ME sober herding them out of the way with my car then some drunk idiot get someone killed because he hit one when he shouldnt have been driving. And these deer are people aggressive. They attack peoples dogs and they will follow people. I'm not kidding. the deer around here are out of their minds.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you also wont catch me hunting bambi personally but i wont be offended if anyone else hunts them!

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
Samba, NOT ENOUGH, But a START!

Yes, I HATE the hoofed rodents! I have bagged six of them already, but have yet to fire a shot or arrow at them.

They are evil.

I would not scatter them or scare them purposely, but I wish the hunters would kill the does rather than holding out for the bucks and get nothing. One buck can impregnate half of Ohio, while a doe can have but one or two fawns a year. We need to get rid of the does -- that will knock down the population.

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
I think people can take a buck and a doe this year here, but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts