German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hair around Rusty's footpads is thick and kind of long. I noticed he lost a little traction when walking in the kitchen (wood floor). I'm assuming it's completely normal to carefuly trim the hair around his footpads (think that's what there called?).

Does anyone else have to do this?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I trim the hair around the footpads on my dogs, every time I trim nails, I think it helps keep the dogs from tracking in as much dirt, mud, snow whatever the walk in.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yes it's fine. I do it for my mixed breed - in addition to helping with traction, it will cut down how much dirt, water, snow, mud, etc, gets tracked in the house.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My OES and all three of my long coated GSDs needed the hair trimmed around their foot pads on a regular basis. I always used Revlon's safety scissors to trim them.
Safety Scissors

·
Registered
852 Posts
I do it occasionally but not very often since on my dogs its not needed. It wont hurt to do it if it is causing problems while they are walking.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta has a horrible time on hard surface flooring...maybe I'll take her in to have her feet trimmed. She has really long fur between her pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts