German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby has been licking her paws, not JUST licking, alot of putting her bottom teeth into the parts in between her paws??? I included a video? Any idea what it is???

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
hum, maybe an allergy? stepped in something that would make it itchy? or the fur between her pads is too long?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
That's how Gunnar started out with his feet. Keep an eye on it, check between his toes for redness or irritation.
Gunnar's progressed pretty fast.
We ended up switching foods and adding probiotic to get it cleared up.
Could be an allergy/sensetivity or just something itchy.

Our Cass does that too but she's chewing her nails.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hum, maybe an allergy? stepped in something that would make it itchy? or the fur between her pads is too long?
How would the fur between the pads being long be a bad thing? Her hair in between her pads is longer than her pads....

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's how Gunnar started out with his feet. Keep an eye on it, check between his toes for redness or irritation.
Gunnar's progressed pretty fast.
We ended up switching foods and adding probiotic to get it cleared up.
Could be an allergy/sensetivity or just something itchy.

Our Cass does that too but she's chewing her nails.
I've checked between her toes, but its so hairy lol skin looks good, a lil dirty from being outside, but good.

She has been on blue buffalo chicken and rice for a year and a half. For the past couple of months she has only had 2 cups of that a day for breakfast. and she eats raw at night. Chicken leg quarter, chicken breast, kelp, alfalfa, ester-c, vitamin E, and probiotics. SO..... im not 100 percent sold on the allergy bit. She has done this off and on. idk how long... but i finally caught her doing it and video'd it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
If the hair is that long it could be dirty/irritating her. We're in MN and our dogs get snow in the hair between the toes and lick it out.
Maybe just trying wiping out in between her toes with a damp paper towel or washcloth and keep an eye on it.

Sounds like a great diet, I wouldn't suspect that as a cause.
It could just be nothing.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
How would the fur between the pads being long be a bad thing? Her hair in between her pads is longer than her pads....
I know when the hair between the pads is too long they start licking their feet because it bugs them. you can get some scissors and trim the hair until they're flat against the pads like this:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be allergies but it could also be irritation from salt. Do you walk him on the sidewalk or in the street?
Nope. Havent had time to walk recently (kidney issue :()
Its been inside, or out back for a week. lots of running and playing out back. Its been muddy, and raining, and snowing, off and on for the past 2 weeks or more though...
i just clipped the hair, and cleaned in between her paws with a warm wash cloth.
She also has had a weird itch in her ear. doesnt dothat too often either. but she can get into it and moan like its the best feeling ever.... I clean her ears with this ear cleaner wipes i bought at the pet store... they do tend to get dirty quick.... im gonna set up a vet appointment soon.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Chewing/licking the paws is a common sign of allergy. It could be environmental/contact allergy or food allergy.
Allergies can develop suddenly even if they've been on the same food for a long time. My cat developed food allergies which manifested in itching and chewing/licking his feet/legs as well as lip ulcers (eosinophilic granuloma complex) and he'd been on the same food, Orijen, for at least a year if not more before he started having allergy symptoms.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Could it also be related to anxiety or stress???

Phenix do this all the time!!

No matter what the season is;
No matter what food we give (we have tried EVERY TYPE of food, including raw food, but it change nothing);
I stopped using any chemical products to wash my floor.

He lick and lick and lick......the skin is irritated (red). He just do it all the time.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yes, it can be stress-related or an obsessive type behavior. It can also start out as allergy or health related but develop into a habit that continues once the health issue has been treated.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I havent seen her lick her foot at all today. like i said before, it comes and goes! random!
weird. I doubt it's an allergy then if it's random maybe she just had an itchy foot. I'd suggest keeping the fur between her pads clipped even with the pads and wipe out her foot every once in a while. I know my friends Pit Bull is allergic to grass so every time he's outside in the grass she wipes his feet off with bath wipes every time he comes in other wise he chews and licks his feet constantly.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
have you tried keeping a diary of her activities and yours? For example, each day write down what she ate, what she did all day, what you wash her bedding in (laundry soap, fabric softeners, etc), how often you use certain cleaners on the floors, for a week or two and you may see some commonality to her chewing/licking her feet. I did that with Shane and found out he was allergic to the laundry soap I was washing his blankets in. Switched to a hypo-allergenic soap and the chewing went away. It takes a bit of commitment, but keeping a diary may help pinpoint what is bothering her.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have heard of them doing this when they get too cold out in the snow. Their paws freeze and it causes it to irritate them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts