German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel insists on putting a paw into his water. When he is outside in his kennel he has a cooler that has a long strap on it so he cannot spill it tied to the side of the kennel. In the house he has two different water bowls, a self waterer like this one

and another large bowl in the bedroom for night time. We go camping I take a horse bucket and fill it with water but have to tie it to something because he sticks his paw in it. If the bowl is not tied to something he spills it, and having a wet club walking around the house is driving me insane! Anyone else have an issue like this? Any way I can stop him from doing it?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was told that they "grow out of it"... and my girl is now pretty much 8 months old and has not out grown this... Penny likes to put her paws in her water, dig all the water out or drag the darn thing around on the floor with her paw in it, all resulting in the floors being soaked. no sure how to stop it though

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that they "grow out of it"... and my girl is now pretty much 8 months old and has not out grown this... Penny likes to put her paws in her water, dig all the water out or drag the darn thing around on the floor with her paw in it, all resulting in the floors being soaked. no sure how to stop it though
Although we dont know his exact age we are estimating between 1 and 2 so the growing out of it theory is not hopeful for me. DRIVES ME INSANE! He thankfully doesnt dig in it just sticks his whole paw / leg in there and drinks. Not just occasionally either EVERY time :eek::help:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona does this too. They don't grow out of it. I got Fiona a kiddie pool to do that in all the time. Then I got the elevated feeder with 2 bowls. No foot in there now. But if we go anywhere where there is a bowl on the ground, feet go inside. Fiona does it to cool off. The splashing gets her belly wet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Although we dont know his exact age we are estimating between 1 and 2 so the growing out of it theory is not hopeful for me. DRIVES ME INSANE! He thankfully doesnt dig in it just sticks his whole paw / leg in there and drinks. Not just occasionally either EVERY time :eek::help:
Lol drives me insane too, my neighbor who is retired does a lot of stuff with wood and is building a custom made elevated food and water bowel holder big box underneath to store her food and high enough off the ground so she cant drag it or put her food in it or dig in it! Gosh I cant wait for it to be build lol will stop me from mopping around her food/water area 50 times a day and will look nice too! lol

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I hope for some answers too. Dexter, who hates water , always has two front feet in his water bowl. I also bought him a kiddie pool, because when I kept the water bowl inside he would pick it up and run with it. Water spilling all over the house. Its bad enough he has water dribbling from his mouth everytime he drinks water. Now that that mouth is bigger its bigger pools of water. :crazy: Now I need a cure for wet feet running and sliding through the kitchen and patio.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought about the kiddie pool thing, especially since its about to get HOOOT here... I may have to look into an elevated bowl to see if that works. He is so stubborn I can see him standing on top of it just to stick his foot in there... LOL

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My Jack would insist that water is NOT fit for canine consumption, unless it has been enhanced with at least one muddy paw and a drippy ball. Two muddy paws are safer. He read it on the internet :crazy:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JackandMattie - Jack must of emailed that memo to Diesel, because given the opportunity every toy he has would be in there...and sometimes both feet are in there as well ;)

Msmarie - I feel your pain... There are times I am not sure if someone has pee'd on the carpet or Diesel went and had a full footed drink. Socks in the house are next to impossible. :rolleyes:

I feel better knowing my goof ball is not the only one who does this and that I am not alone :crazy:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy would stick her paw into her waterbowl and promptly try to tip it over. We told her no every time she did this. Although, I think she did this in order to "demand" more water from us.

·
Registered
194 Posts
my puppy did this every single time and dumped her bowl up until about a month ago. I corrected her each time I saw it and after a month of multiple daily corrections she finally stopped.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 15 week old Axel does the same thing. He will take his outdoor water bowl and dump it, turn it over and push it across the concrete patio with his nose, reminds us of air hockey but this is much nosier. Not too bad inside as long as he isn't left alone. More than once he has literally skated out of the kitchen all the way across the wood floors because his paws are so wet.:D

·
Registered
951 Posts
How warm do you keep your home? My husband likes our house to be 68 degrees year round. The only time lulu sticks her feet in any water is when she is hot and outside. In the house she just lays down on the wood floors.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has not yet been hot enough to put the air on. I think we got up to 80 one day but could not of been over 70 in the house. He has quite the kennel outside... I have a heavy duty 10x10 (this one)

I bought a canopy for it that covers it for shade and rain protection, I didnt like the one that was made for the kennel as it didnt cover it fully (this is the one)

Have black rubber mats down in his kennel to make clean up easier / prevent digging and 1.5 sides have tarps on it to make sure he has shade all day and if the rain gets to blowing he has complete shelter from the rain...

He spends the day while I am at work in the kennel outside

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My 5 month old puppy is locked in a big box stall during the day while I work, the horses get turned out so my dogs stay in their stalls, my puppy drops her food bowl, sometimes with food still in it, as well as her bones and toys into the horses water tub, I hate having to empty it every evening!! :(

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
let him drink some water and then take the bowl away.
after some time has passed let him have the bowl again.
after he drinks take the bowl away. that's what i did with
my dog. at some point he stopped tipping his water bowl.
sometimes i gave him water outside when he was going through
the "tip the bowl" times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts