German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So venting a bit but this is the second time a parent of a small child thought there could be no danger letting the child approach 3 GSDs. The day before yesterday I was working the three together at a strip mall. We did drills around people, down stays and just worked as a pack. We did meet and greets with those that asked, I am working on releasing one dog at a time for this. As we passed a Togo's, a man and his two children were coming out and the man had that terrified look in his eyes, I put my dogs at a down stay so he and his could walk by and would feel safe. He smiled and complimented the dogs as he hurried by. Then to my right I heard a woman say "go give the puppy a kiss". I turn and see a <1year old stumbling toward my dogs and mommy fumbling for her phone to take a picture. My heart fell as I talked to my dogs and got them to focus on me (especially Beya who is not totally comfortable with people walking up unless I tell her it's alright. All three looked at me and did very well (thank God). Rocco could not resist and gave the child a very wet kiss that almost picked the child up off the ground. Once I thought I had the situation under control I called the dogs to Fuss and turned them with me away from the child. I then explained to the woman that was not a very foolish thing to do, I explained that before meeting a dog you should always ask ( like the vests they wear says to do as well as common sense). She got very angry at me explaining that she got a very good picture and the dogs look very nice. I was proud of my dogs :wink2:(proud of me to for not going off on this woman) :surprise:and walked home. I kept thinking, had something happened it would have been me and my dogs fault.

Thank you for letting me vent here, much better than completly loosing it with that woman.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I agree, the woman did something foolish. One thing I believe though as an owner, there's a responsibility we have when it comes to taking our dogs into very public places and around business's where people are going to be in close proximity to the dogs. Its my dog and nobody gets to approach him without my say so goes out the window sometimes. Right or wrong people have an expectation of the dogs being completely accepting of that. Not everybody, like the guy who was afraid, does, but enough do that we just have to accept it and I don't think they're completely wrong for expecting it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So venting a bit but this is the second time a parent of a small child thought there could be no danger letting the child approach 3 GSDs. The day before yesterday I was working the three together at a strip mall. We did drills around people, down stays and just worked as a pack. We did meet and greets with those that asked, I am working on releasing one dog at a time for this. As we passed a Togo's, a man and his two children were coming out and the man had that terrified look in his eyes, I put my dogs at a down stay so he and his could walk by and would feel safe. He smiled and complimented the dogs as he hurried by. Then to my right I heard a woman say "go give the puppy a kiss". I turn and see a <1year old stumbling toward my dogs and mommy fumbling for her phone to take a picture. My heart fell as I talked to my dogs and got them to focus on me (especially Beya who is not totally comfortable with people walking up unless I tell her it's alright. All three looked at me and did very well (thank God). Rocco could not resist and gave the child a very wet kiss that almost picked the child up off the ground. Once I thought I had the situation under control I called the dogs to Fuss and turned them with me away from the child. I then explained to the woman that was not a very foolish thing to do, I explained that before meeting a dog you should always ask ( like the vests they wear says to do as well as common sense). She got very angry at me explaining that she got a very good picture and the dogs look very nice. I was proud of my dogs :wink2:(proud of me to for not going off on this woman) :surprise:and walked home. I kept thinking, had something happened it would have been me and my dogs fault.

Thank you for letting me vent here, much better than completly loosing it with that woman.
I love when people say oh the dogs looked nice. Just because they look nice doesn't always mean they are. Obviously your dogs were well behaved, but I mean, if the child was that young, the woman should have known better. You have to love ignorant people. And she just wanted a picture. I hate when people just assume it's okay to do whatever they want when out in public because they think you wouldn't dare refuse them.

·
Registered
31,353 Posts
But people don't know better. That's the reality of it. People don't know not to let their kids run up to your dogs, they don't know not to smack your dog in the back of the head in what they think is an affectionate gesture, they dont' know to keep their little monsters on leashes.

Like Steve said, if you are in public, you have to accept some of the responsibility. You have to be prepared for people to do incredibly stupid things. And you can thank the PetSmart mentality for the 'dogs are little humans in furry outfits and public property' propaganda.

It sucks but that's the reality of what we live in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, the woman did something foolish. One thing I believe though as an owner, there's a responsibility we have when it comes to taking our dogs into very public places and around business's where people are going to be in close proximity to the dogs. Its my dog and nobody gets to approach him without my say so goes out the window sometimes. Right or wrong people have an expectation of the dogs being completely accepting of that. Not everybody, like the guy who was afraid, does, but enough do that we just have to accept it and I don't think they're completely wrong for expecting it.
Steve,
I agree with your statement. I guess my "vent" was mostly defined by the title of the thread regarding foolishness. I thought my dogs (save the kiss from Rocco) exceeded any perceived expectation and behaved very well. Nothing less than I expect of them and demand of them. My disappointment was the mothers desire for a cute picture disregarding a possible danger. Foolish was my being PC. The words I used later only my dogs heard, might have been a bit stronger.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I try to be sure I don't take more dogs than I can safely handle, run interference for ect unless they are bomb proof dogs that can be mauled by offleash toddlers :)

Unless I am working somewhere like the park where I can see them coming, avoid if need be.

I will say I have been quite impressed with most of the random kids we have encountered in my pup's life. I ask them to wait and only pet one at a time and they are very respectful, follow directions, and this after asking nicely if they can pet the dog

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow, wish I could say it surprises me but it does not surprise me at all. A few years back we were at Everglades National Park in December. It was cool (in the 50s) so a big alligator was sunning itself about 10 feet from the path. After our family quietly walked by staying on the far side of the path we were shocked to see the family behind us stop and tell their daughter (under the age of 10) to walk up to the gator so they could get a picture. They even encouraged her to "pet" it which she was luckily too frightened to do. Hard to believe huh? We still laugh about it but only because nothing bad happened. It could have very easily becaome a memory that is not funny at all.

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
I guess what one has to expect is that humans are so far removed from what? nature? animals? that many have lost any sense of how to behave around animals domestic or wild. The late Barker Sisters the first and I had toddlers urged by parents toddle up to pet/hug/accost the "doggies" on a state ferry ride (both long coats so she might not have recognized them as sheps) and I'm sure at other times too. In the town I was living in at the time, we also had people who would cross the street to avoid walking past us on the sidewalk and other people who would ask to pet them. On one occassion, a woman was frightened because BTE1 was barking when she was tied to a pole (I was inside shopping and right there - the barking was because I was not right with her.) So you get all kinds - stupid, wise, inappropriate, appropriate.

How come we think that we (as a species) are so smart? Then the true amazing thing is that we manage to survive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts