German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear from so many different dog owners what foods are deadly and what foods are good:confused:. I know that chocolate is NOT good. I haven’t been feeding my dog home goodies cause I’m scared. Can someone tell me what foods are NOT GOOD for my Fred, I do know of some foods that are good, but I’m not clear about the foods that are bad.

Thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Chocolate isn't good, but what most people don't realize (or don't mention) is that the chocolate that's really deadly is the pure chocolate. The cheap milk chocolate that 99% of people buy and have in their homes isn't as deadly. A german shepherd would have to eat a VERY large amount of this choc to harm them. Last December, I stupidly set out a small bowl of a 2.5 lb bag of the mixed hershey kisses, etc that you buy for a couple bucks at the store. It was on the coffee table and I came home one day and Audrey had eaten the entire package, foil and all.

I called the ER vet who had me call dog poison control and she would've had to eat, as I recall, 10+ lbs of it to cause her to even be ill, much less deadly. She pooped foil for probably a week, but never even got an upset stomach.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Isn't it the baker's chocolate that you've gotta worry about?

And alcohol.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Isn't it the baker's chocolate that you've gotta worry about?

And alcohol.

yes baker's chocolate is the definite to be concerned about. dark chocolate isnt good but baker's chocolate is more concentrated. alcohol is a no no anyway. lol.

·
Registered
32,373 Posts
Cocoa mulch from Wal-Mart can make your dog ill.

Too much of anything is not good. Cooked bones, like the carcus of a roasted chicken, could splinter and cause problems in the digestive tract.

Steak bones, pork bones, any bone already cooked can be brittle or splinter and cause problems. Most raw bones are ok, though people do not like to give raw turkey bones.

Household plants can be toxic to dogs.

Xylitol has been mentioned.

I am going to throw out another, Molassis. This will NOT harm your dog, and most people do not even have the stuff around. BUT, it is an ingredient in many, many dog foods and treats. But lets think about it. Kids get sugar highs, dogs probably do too. Molassis is corn, so if your dog has allergies to corn, better check out Molassis too. And lastly, it simply should not be necessary. Think about it. If the food has meat in it, and the fat and meat is not rancid, then the dog will WANT to eat it. The only reason to add Molassis is to get the dog to eat the stuff. And it works. Substandard quality ingredients, sugared down, and the dogs eat it because it is sweet, and often overeat because it is sweet, which causes a host of health problems.

So I think staying away from Molassis is a great idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.