German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn proper nutriton for my future GSD (and possible other dog breed). I've not owned dogs in years and this will be my very own dogs and want to do it all the right way.

I was reading the grain-free thread but it's locked. I just want to know if there is any ratings for foods or what to look for and what to avoid?

I used Evo for a while w/cats and ferrets (for the protein). I've heard good things about Natural Balance. But that's really all I know.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good site.
Also check into The Whole Dog Journal. Just google to find info about them.

This will help I think.
And reading this thread, the Barf/Raw thread and the puppy nutrition should answer a lot and any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally Posted By: firefightrsflameI am trying to learn proper nutriton for my future GSD (and possible other dog breed). I've not owned dogs in years and this will be my very own dogs and want to do it all the right way.

I was reading the grain-free thread but it's locked. I just want to know if there is any ratings for foods or what to look for and what to avoid?

I used Evo for a while w/cats and ferrets (for the protein). I've heard good things about Natural Balance. But that's really all I know.
The websites listed are a good start to learning ingredients, etc
however remember it is their opinions on what food is the best food. What works for one dog does not always work for the next. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone! I will go look at the sites after lunch. Mostly, I just really want to know what to avoid or what is most important when it comes to ingredients. I appreciate the direction! I hope to stay around here for a while!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You can also visit my site and message board (found in my signature.) I like the dogfoodproject site but I will caution you against the dogfood analysis site as there is nothing very factual on it at all.

Cherri

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cherri,

Thank you! I read your site from start to finish. =) Very informative. I appreciate it. ANy other sites you recommend, let me know! I love to read!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i would agree (regarding dogfoodanalysis) to skip reading the narratives that are written about each food. however, i'll repeat this again: it is a good site for looking at the profiles of many different foods in one convenient location. additionally, in my opinion, i generally find that foods of similar quality are grouped together. some ingredient lists need updating, but this is true of dogfoodproject.com as well. you are always going to get more updated info at the manufacturers website.

no one site will give you all the answers. they are just tools. it is incumbent upon all of us to thoroughly research whatever food choice we make.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldn't put much into the information on either website. Neither are up to date and just try to contact either one for updates or to see there nutritional background.

EastGSD I wasn't referring to your site. I have read portions and find it very truthful and informative. Nice job......

Take a look on EBAY and find a book called Hand Thatcher Remillard Roudebush, Small Animal Clinical Nutrition.

It will tell you what they need, when they need it. How it's made and what makes a good balanced diet. As well as much more about small animals and what makes them tick.

Then you will be more informed and not so misled by one persons personal opinion and observations.
It is very easy to state an opinion in such an enviroment as the internet with anonymity.

This of course is my opinion and my opininon only......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts