German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of food is recommended to feed my gsd. He is around 6 months old. I'm also on a budget, but I'd like to get something healthy for him. I can't really afford wellness or similar foods. Thanks

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If Wellness, etc is out of your budget, I recommend either the Kirkland that GSDBESTK9 suggested, or 4Health from Tractor Supply. 4Health is kind of between the Kirkland and the "top end" foods as far as quality and price. It's $30 for a $30lb bag.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You can also get Taste of the Wild at Tractor Supply but 4Health is more reasonable and a decent food- look at the Tractor Supply website for coupons and you can get up to 20% discount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to to the Costco website and did not see the kirkland dog food. I am not a costco member. Thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
I wish we had a tractor supply store in Florida...I love that store!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I feed kirckland (Costco) dog food. Yep $22 a bag of 40lbs.

Now he poops once a day and isn't as lazy. I've noticed a change in how much he eats, poops an runs/plays.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Since, Costco is not an option since you're not a member I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It's about $35 for a 35 pound bag ... you can only find this food at specialty stores like a Pet Supplies Plus. If that is still a little too high for your budget I would go with Purina One. While Taste of the Wild is a great food, it's also $45 a bag for 30 pounds. Not a bad price but I guess it just depends what your budget is.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Since, Costco is not an option since you're not a member I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It's about $35 for a 35 pound bag ... you can only find this food at specialty stores like a Pet Supplies Plus. If that is still a little too high for your budget I would go with Purina One. While Taste of the Wild is a great food, it's also $45 a bag for 30 pounds. Not a bad price but I guess it just depends what your budget is.
Why not just get a Costco membership? Lol at $50 that cost would be covered real quick in saving not only in dog food but other items.

But then again, I suggest only going if you have a big budget. I don't think I have ever left with a bill less than $200 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to Costco yesterday, and got a membership :) I got 2 , 20 lb bags of kirkland puppy food for 11.99 a bag, so I spent $25 total. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Why not just get a Costco membership? Lol at $50 that cost would be covered real quick in saving not only in dog food but other items.

But then again, I suggest only going if you have a big budget. I don't think I have ever left with a bill less than $200 :rolleyes:
You and me both - they get you with all the "deals!" But at least you can stock up.

Agree - Costco would be easy for OP - plus if you ever decide to go the RAW route - they have good prices on whole chickens....then all you really need to add is some hearts and liver (some organs). ----> Raw Dog Ranch - Welcome!

If you do the $100 membership you get either your extra $50 spent back if you don't get enough in rebates or you get the $50 back plus via the rebates/rewards program - it is a check you get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts