German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just get amazed at how political food threads get. Why don't we play a game.

List the dogs you have owned, how long they lived, why they died, and what they ate -

How about we keep off the discussion and just LIST things. Here are my dogs starting in 1965 with Waggles to today, Grim

Waggles GSD mix-12-Cancer (skin, unresolved flea allergy,PTS), Gravy Train and Purina

Linus GSD - 15.5-Old age - Precise, then Nutro Max and Raw

Arlo - ?? - Rehomed terrier

Oscar GSD - 6mos - kidney disorder (not food related) - Nutro Max

Rainbow ESS- 14 -Congestive Heart Failure - Nutro Max, ONE, Raw

Toby GSD- 11 - Hemangiosarcoma PTS--Nutro, Raw, Everything under the sun (food allergies and perianal fistulas forced varied attempts at resolution), ONE with salmon which was final food he could eat

Current dogs-both currently have stellar bloodwork, Cyra has a controlled Flea Allergy, Grim has no issues.

Cyra GSD-8-ALIVE-Raw, ONE, Evo, TOTW,Natural Balance

Toby-GSD 8-ALIVE-Pro Plan, Evo, TOTW, Natural Balance

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Hey, I can't really contribute since Niko and Rosa are my first dogs, but I agree with your sentiment. Food threads that get all heated irritate me. There is no one right answer!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Bonnie (childhood dog)-- Labrador mix. Lived 12 years. Died of old age. ate Purina Dog Chow

Bizmark (Hubby's childhood dog)-- GSD. Lived 14 years, died of old age. Ate Pedigree and table scraps.

Cash-- GSD-- Died at 4 years old. Died of asphyxiation when he inhaled his Kong ball. Ate Taste of the Wild.

Rocky-- Living, 9 years old. Eats Kirkland Signature. In fabulous health.
Kopper-- Living, 4 months old. Eats Kirkland Signature.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Charlie - spaniel - lived 10 years and died of heart disease. He ate wellness.

Wilson - spaniel - is 10 years old with severe heart issues. Eats canidae, but was fed raw for the first couple years.

Lucy - GSD - currently 3 and has been fed innova and now currently orijen. She's a very healthy girl.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Suga (childhood dog) - Newfoundland, Lived 16 years, PTS due to severe arthritis (survived serious heartworm infection at age of 12 or 13!) - Not sure what she ate, probably Purina

Retta - GSD - Lived 13 years, PTS after sudden debilitating illness. Not sure what it was but vet didn't think she'd survive it. Ate NutraMax.

Rex - GSD - Lived 11 years, Died suddenly probably due to Hemangiosarcoma. Ate NutraMax.

Rennie - GSD - Living and 5 years old, Ate NutraMax until recently. Now on TOTW. In great health.

Ridley - GSD - Living and 1 year old, eats TOTW. In great health.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sebastian Aussie / GSD , PTS old age issues at 16 yrs old, ate people food and pedigree

Max, 10 years still living, Great Dane: has eaten pedigree, SAMs club Exceed now on Taste of the Wild/ Grandma Lucys, no health problems

Macy, golden mix still living, 4 yrs old, has eaten Sams Exceed now on TOTW, has IBD

Meika and Sasha, still living, eats TOTW, no health issues

·
Registered
181 Posts
Brandy, Shelti mix/pound rescue, lived 14 years.. ate who knows what, probably purina, it's been so long ago

Jake shepherd mix, lived 14 years or so, poor thing ate whatever we could afford. We went thru a layoff and low paying jobs while we had him.

Rebel GSD lived 10 years, DM, PTS Diamond dog food

Shelby Pomeranian lived for 13 years, Iams

Dixie, heeler mix/found on side of the road.. lived 2 years (we don't know what she died of) Fed Diamond Dog food

Rascal Pom 3 years, fed TOTW

Zoe 2 years old TOTW

Duke 4 years old TOTW

Rowdy 2 years old TOTW

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Lady, spaniel/collie childhood dog, lived to be 18 on Rival, Gravy train and table scraps

Stomper, GSD(80's)grocery store brands~never consistant with brands but bought the "better ones" (if there was such a thing in the 80's), table food, died of bloat at 11

Clover, Border/Goldenx(90's-2000's), died at 14yr 8 mos, PTS due to body failure,
NO cancer, but suffered arthritis in her hips,she just couldn't get up and move about when the harsh winter hit, even with supplements :(
Mixed different brands of kibble~Nutro, or Dads back then~ they were "better" than grocery store brands,and table foods.
I never was consistant with brands, because I felt the dog would get bored of the same thing day after day.
Now I feed raw, so variety is still happening.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Oh boy...
Ceaser: GSD, 13yrs old, hernia/old age/arthritis -- Kibbles and Bits plus anything he could get his hands on
Foxy: Miniature Poodle, 16 yrs old, undiagnosed internal bleeding/ old age- Any wet/soft food ( nothing facy, expensive, or healthy)
Baby: GSD/Chow, 12 years old (ish), anal gland cancer, kibbles and bits for a few years,a few higher quality foods, then Professional Chicken and Rice
Zeke: GSD (possibly Rottie mix), 2-3years old, Malnutrition related to Megaesophagus lead us to the decision of euthanasia- Professional Chicken and Rice High Energy.

Current dogs are on Professional Chicken and rice (one low fat, 2 high energy)
1 dog has an assortment of health issues- epilepsy, hip dysplasia, arthritis, allergies
1 has GI upset on occasion, also ear infections about 2x yearly ( possibly alergies)
1 is underweight but healthy.
All of our dogs, past and present, get/have had people food as well as their dog food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts