German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a new kibble. My older dog was on TOTW Salmon for years. I switched to Fromm 4 Star, but she’s not doing well on it. After much testing, the vet concluded her symptoms, which are vomiting and bleeding, are due to the food. Nothing else showed up on the testing. She’s on Hills ID Digestive care and her symptoms are all gone, but she is itching. The vet suggested either going with a hydrolized protein food, or trying another kibble with a different protein source and possibly going back to grain free. I tried making food for her and it also made her ill, then I tried fresh food made by a local company, which did not work for her either. I want to try a kibble, probably lower fat and protein. She is a senior. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
32,280 Posts
Zignature is grain free and has a bunch of different protein sources. Not necessarily low protein (did your vet mention that specifically?), but the turkey formula is low in saturated fat: https://www.zignature.com/?portfolio=turkey-formula-dry&lang=en

The brand is supposed to be good for dogs with allergies, with limited ingredients, no corn, no wheat, no soy, and are grain and gluten free. Some formulas are also low glycemic. In addition to turkey they have pork, goat, venison, lamb, kangaroo, guinea fowl, duck, and 4 different fish formulas, including salmon, salmon and trout, whitefish, and catfish.

My senior Keefer, who is 12-1/2, has been on Sport Dog Food and doing well. But the old formulas are no longer available and rather than try the new formula I have been adding some Zignature to his food, with the goal of switching him over completely when we run out.

·
Super Moderator
32,280 Posts
Keef was on Canine Caviar a long time ago. He did very well on it, but it was hard to find at the time (pre-Chewy, etc.), so I ended up switching him to something else. It's a very good food.

Reactions: GypsyGhost

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I will look for all three and decide. It’s hard, as you know, because it takes a while to switch over and it’s all trial and error.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to a feed store that carries specialized dog food. They have Zignature in stock. They also suggested I research Nature’s Logic and Nulo Freestyle because they contain probitics or Pure Vita which is good for allergies. Nature’s Logic uses natural vitamins. Has anyone used any of those other brands?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts