German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have a 1-year old German Shepherd. When we first got our pup we had him on TOTW. We tried Earthborn Holistic shortly thereafter going off a recommendation. He LOVED Earthborn Holistic.

About a month ago, he decided all of a sudden that he didn't like Earthborn Holistic anymore. We tried putting him on TOTW again but he still doesn't want to eat it.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We want to keep him on grain-free. I don't want to go to Orijen.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
RAW. Mine has never refused a raw meal :)

Personally, if the dog won't eat I put the food up after 15 minutes. We have one that has decided she'll hold out in hopes of a topping on her food. I let her go hungry until the next meal when she does that. I don't have time for brats.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wellness has a grain free line, Core. We've never tried the grain free version of their food, but we feed Wellness Super5Mix (corn, soy and wheat free but does contain barley) and Suki likes it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I switched from TOW to Fomm grain free

·
Registered
860 Posts
Has he been doing good on taste of the wild poop and all?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
switch food untill you find one that your dog likes and it works
for your dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Raw. Hand fed. Make him work for his food.

If you can't stand hand feeding raw, which admittedly was too much to ask of me, so we are currently on kibble... Wellness CORE.

The key is, take away the sense of entitlement. Make feeding and OB a no nonsense deal. I had a skin and bones picky eater, and I thought he needed to be coddled. In fact, the opposite serves him best. Now, he is completely motivated to eat. He gets my attention, and works to earn every morsel. He eats, but I think the motivation is that he has to work for every bite. Hand feeding has proved to be a Godsend for us.

No bowls in this household.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Even on my lazy days, I put the kibble in a bowl and set it on the patio table... One bowl for Jack and one for Lillian. She eats from my left hand and he eats from my right... But neither eat until they follow the kibble from the bowl til I hold it between my eyes and say "Look at me!" Eye contact equals a handful of dinner. Even with two dogs, it only takes 10-15 minutes, tops.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts