German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. To start, I have a 17 month old GSD named Braddock, who is roughly 75 lbs, and is a pretty big guy (height, length), but is a bit on the skinny side despite him getting a ton of exercise and good food as well.

He was on Nutrience LBP, as a puppy, but soon after went to Acana Large Breed Puppy, and ate that to about a year old. He has been on Acana Large Breed Adult for the last few months, and has started to turn his nose up at it, and will go a day or more without eating, seemingly in protest. I have tried sweetening the deal with occasional leftovers, but that even fails sometimes. I have switched him to Orijen Large Breed adult recently, due to the different taste for him, and having more protein for him.

I should add that he has a bad case of hip dysplasia, but it does not really slow him down (save for jumping in and out of my pickup). He is a glucoasmine supplement, and only suffers badly in the extreme cold weather, at which time he comes inside.

He is a great dog, and I would like for him to gain a bit of weight (however, not too much, to save the strain on his hips). He is a just a bit on the skinny side. In hindsight, perhaps I should have switched to an Orijen with more fat or carbs.

Any suggestions, ideas? I like the line of Acana and Orijen foods. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sounds like you already answered your question. Orijen will help put some weight on, it also has glucosamine in it, as well as not requiring the dog to eat as much so he will finish the bowl and always be looking for more which will build some food drive.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Just want to point out that no dog food has enough glucosamine/chondroitin in it to be useful, especially in the case of a dog who has joint problems. Please don't think that a food that contains these can replace an actual high dose supplement!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think since your dog has bad hips you
should stop the jumping out of the pick
up truck. a dog can stop liking a certain food.
you have to switch foods untill you find
one that the dog likes. make sure there's
no medical problems causing him not to eat.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
What HE said

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you would like a great food and high levels of Glucosamine either formula of Back to Basics has 1500 mg/kg glucosamine and 1200 mg/kg of chondrointin.
For a food that is the highest I have seen if the dog has real issues than you should also supplement with a quality supplement.

It tastes great to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with both doggiedad (re: jumping in and out of a pickup) and ChancetheGSD (re: lack of Glucosamine in dog food).
Braddock jumping in and out of a pickup at a young age may have actually contributed to the joint issue if it wasn't hereditary in the first place (IMHO, please don't take it personally :(...I've done quite a bit of research on dysplasia as I know it can be painful). In any case, try using Cosequin for the joints; here in Canada you can only purchase it through the vet (I haven't found anywhere else to get it cheaper) but I think you can order it online in the USA (and probably cheaper).
Our girl was x-rayed at 3 months because she fractured a toe and her hips just happened to get in the shot :thumbup:; x-rays showed that her left hip was slightly out of place so in order to correct this, we strengthened her leg muscles (controlled walking up and down the stairs a few times a day), no over exertion on the joints and gave her Cosequin twice a day for 6 weeks and then once a day. She had her hips, elbows and knees x-rayed again June 9 (at 17 months) and I'm proud to say that the hip ended up correcting itself :happyboogie:. Our vet said it rarely happens that the hip (or joints) would correct itself and she would not put our girl in a category as having hip dysplasia. Nikita is still on one Cosequin a day and will be for life; this is a decision I made to keep her healthy and she looks forward to it in the mornings after her breakfast. I've used Cosequin before for our Border Collie / GSD x and he did well on it too...didn't have dysplasia but I used it as a preventative and for his overall health.
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts