German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the following information from one of my dog food suppliers this evening. Not sure where to post the info, so hope everyone has a chance to view the product recall information.

The information came from a Pet Food store here in Fort Worth, Tx. I have not personally verified the recall, since I do not feed my GS this product; but I am concerned that some of you may.

Natura Recall
Natura Pet Products has issued yet another voluntary recall of all its items (except cans). Those items are:

California Natural
Innova
Evo
Mother Nature Treats

·
Registered
798 Posts
Again??? And I JUST bought tw big bags and was going to start mixing them with their food tomorrow!! I had actually started mixing a few kibbles into the food of the smallest one since yesterday. This is frustrating...

Thank you so much for the info, I had no idea.

(From their website)

Dear Natura Family,

We have some sad news to share. We are announcing today a voluntary recall of all Innova, California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Mother Nature and Karma branded dry pet food and biscuit/bar/treat products with expiration dates prior to June 10, 2014.
We made this decision in part due to a single positive Salmonella test by the FDA on product manufactured April 3. Normally, this would have resulted in retrieval of product manufactured over just a few days. However, we are taking the additional precautionary measure to recall all products in the marketplace. Our first priority is the wellbeing of the pets we serve.
Our decision allows us to ensure that all products available in the marketplace were produced after June 10, the date when we implemented additional finished product testing procedures with the guidance of industry experts.
Below this message you will find instructions on how to request a replacement voucher or refund. If you have any further questions, please contact us at http://www.naturapet.com/about/contact-us or (800) 224-6123.
We are truly sorry. We know this news disappoints you; we are disappointed too. Natura will always focus on high-quality ingredients, product safety and innovation in pet nutrition. We remain committed to making products you can trust.
Sincerely,
Employees of Natura Pet Products

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
This is extremely frustrating for me. I have no plans to switch brands since this is a precautionary recall (no dogs have actually gotten sick). I have 1 day's worth of food left and sure enough, my bag is effected so I'll get a refund, but now the pet stores have pulled all the food off the shelves and don't know when more will be available. I've got to switch brands tomorrow, cold turkey, couldn't even buy another bag even if I was willing to accept the risk (I was).

Ironically just yesterday I got a check in the mail from Natura from their class action settlement.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is extremely frustrating for me. I have no plans to switch brands since this is a precautionary recall (no dogs have actually gotten sick). I have 1 day's worth of food left and sure enough, my bag is effected so I'll get a refund, but now the pet stores have pulled all the food off the shelves and don't know when more will be available. I've got to switch brands tomorrow, cold turkey, couldn't even buy another bag even if I was willing to accept the risk (I was).

Ironically just yesterday I got a check in the mail from Natura from their class action settlement.
Go with Orijen thats what we use and its made such a difference with almost everything on Zoey (coat, skin, teeth)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the Orijen is a great product, as well as Blue Buffalo. I have used both products and my girl did well on both. However, Orijen is hard to come by in our area, with just a select few suppliers....in fact the only one close by me is some 20 miles away. Our GS likes Blue and has done exceptionally well.....great coat, no skin problems; teeth and gums are normal at 4 years. [Maggie has a visit once a year at her vet.]

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I'm exclusively feeding Fromm now as they are much cheaper than Orijen and all my dogs like the product better, plus they have large selections for small and large dogs as well as cats, plus Fromm has never had recall problems :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I havent been on the forum too much lately, so I went to the pet store today to pick up Stark some more dog food and all of the Natura brand food is off the shelves, AGAIN!
I have been using Innova Grain Free because we believe he has wheat allergies. He came home from the breeder on Taste of the Wild, he did fine but they had a couple of recalls so we switched to Blue Buffalo. He had loose stools on Blue Buffallo which never firmed up. So, for probably the past 8 to 10 months hes been on Innova and hes doing well. He gets really itchy, had runny eyes, sneezing and really nasty breath at one point and we went to the vet. He had bacterial overgrowth in his stomach. The vet guessed allergies (i didnt have the $350 to find out for sure). So we treated the bacteria and I switched him to a grain free diet. He has done great, but now he has to switch cold turkey due to this recall. Any tips/ things i can do to help prevent another issue? Also, Im considering switching all together since this is the second recall this year. What is a good grain free reasonably priced option?

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
what formula of orejin would you feed a two year old?
Any of the adult formulas will work for a 2 year old, but be aware that Orijen gives some dogs diarrhea while others it doesn't bother at all. Just depends on the dog. You may want to start with their sister food Acana and eventually try the Orijen by adding it slowly to the Acana.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
I havent been on the forum too much lately, so I went to the pet store today to pick up Stark some more dog food and all of the Natura brand food is off the shelves, AGAIN!
I have been using Innova Grain Free because we believe he has wheat allergies. He came home from the breeder on Taste of the Wild, he did fine but they had a couple of recalls so we switched to Blue Buffalo. He had loose stools on Blue Buffallo which never firmed up. So, for probably the past 8 to 10 months hes been on Innova and hes doing well. He gets really itchy, had runny eyes, sneezing and really nasty breath at one point and we went to the vet. He had bacterial overgrowth in his stomach. The vet guessed allergies (i didnt have the $350 to find out for sure). So we treated the bacteria and I switched him to a grain free diet. He has done great, but now he has to switch cold turkey due to this recall. Any tips/ things i can do to help prevent another issue? Also, Im considering switching all together since this is the second recall this year. What is a good grain free reasonably priced option?
Sounds like your baby needs a digestive enzyme and probiotic added to his food.
Try The Honest Kitchen, Acana, Orijen, or Fromms

The Honest Kitchen (HK) Dehydrated food: 100% Human Grade ingredients processed in a Human Grade manufacturing plant. Found at "Doggie Boutiques" or on line.
- EMBARK (Turkey - Grain Free) - Most Popular 10# = $48 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for active adult dogs, puppies, pregnancy and lactation.
2 - FORCE (Chicken - Grain Free) 10# =$78 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for moderately active adult dogs including those that are intolerant of grains.
3 - KEEN (Turkey - Low Gluten) 10# = $60 Makes 40 pounds
Keen is formulated for an adult maintenance diet.
4 - PREFERENCE (Meat Free - All Vegetables) THIS NEED MEAT ADDED 7# = $54 Makes 29 pounds
A grain-free, gluten-free foundation diet for use with added raw meat, meaty bones, or cooked meat.
5 - VERVE (Beef - With Grains) 10# =$62 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for moderately to less active adult dogs and seniors or when switching off of kibble.
6 - THRIVE (Chicken - Low Carbohydrates) 10# = $68 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for sensitive, active adult dogs, puppies, pregnancy and lactation.
7 - Zeal (Fish, Grain Free) 10# = $106 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for sensitive, adult maintenance, and moderate activity levels.
8 - Love (Beef, Grain Free) 10#= $95 Makes 40 pounds
Ideal for Puppies and active adult dogs, particularly those with food sensitivities to grains, gluten, eggs and those who need a low carbohydrate diet

FROMMS:
Pork & Applesauce Non-Grain: 30#=$53
Surf & Turf Non Grain: 26# = $66
Beef Frittata Non Grain: 26# = $63
Salmon Tunalini Non Grain: 26# = $66

ACANA:
Grasslands Regional Non Grain: 15# =$43
Pacifica Regional Non Grain: 15# = $41
Wild Prarie Regional Non Grain: 15# = $38

Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here are the specifics I have found on this. It is due to "salmonella"

Please remember unlike people dogs cannot get salmonella so if you feed this or use this just remember to wash your hands after handling it!!

Innova Dry dog and cat food and biscuits/bars/treats All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-2014

EVO dry dog, cat and ferret food and biscuits/bars/treats All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-2014

California Natural dry dog and cat foods and biscuits/bars/treats All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-2014

Healthwise dry dog and cat foods All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-2014

Karma dry dog foods All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-2014

Mother Nature biscuits/bars/treats All Lot Codes, All UPC's, All package sizes All expiration dates prior to 6-10-201

1 - 12 of 12 Posts