German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I know a lot of you feed your dogs RAW or Specialty dog food. My question is geared towards the kibble feeding people. I have been feeding dogs I have owed Natural Balance Ultra Prem. Bits for over a decade. When I got my GSD puppies, I kept them on the same thing. They now have this formula grain free, so they have been eating that for the last month happy.

https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog-formulas/original-ultra

Every dog I have owed has loved it, it has kept them healthy and trim but I have always had smaller breeds and do not want to overfeed my GSD's.
I feed the puppies about 4 cups each right now, 2 cups in AM and 2 cups in PM.
Male is almost 6 months, trim and muscle
Female is almost 5 months, has always been larger, not fat but carries heavier.
Both are between 45 - 50 lbs - They are both VERY active. Walks, backyard running, dog parks ect…

I am feeding them 4 cups based on them wanting it, eating is all up quickly and always wanting more AND because that is the guidelines for the size/age per Natural Balance.

Question 1: How long did you/do you keep your GSD on the puppy suggestions for eating?
Question 2: Does 4 Cups each a day sound like too much? Too little?
Question 3: If they are both happy and healthy should I even be over thinking this? :wink2:

Thank you -

·
Registered
838 Posts
As long as they are both happy, healthy and maintaining trim and fit body condition I wouldn't overthink it. Four cups doesn't sound outlandish. i look at the puppy (and adult) feeding amounts on the bag as a starting point and adjust based upon body condition.

·
Registered
371 Posts
"They now have this formula grain free, so they have been eating that for the last month happy." You might want to watch the heavy peas/legumes in the grain free formulas as there is much discussion on rather or not it is contributing to Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy after the FDA warning about it. Lots of discussion on it on this forum and elsewhere.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"They now have this formula grain free, so they have been eating that for the last month happy." You might want to watch the heavy peas/legumes in the grain free formulas as there is much discussion on rather or not it is contributing to Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy after the FDA warning about it. Lots of discussion on it on this forum and elsewhere.

We are actually looking into switching to another flavor within the brand for this reason. They did fine with the grain and I love the Ultra Premium version but it is only sold grain free now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts