German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start another in the endless debate over food, but I've got a Senior Shepherd and a Puppy BC/lab mix. I'm feeding two different foods. I put Buddy on Senior food after Shadow died to try to control weight, but now that we have a puppy and he is a lot more active I'm wondering if I should switch him back to regular food?

Buddy will be 10 next month
Ivan is 6 months.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does science diet make one? What about Royal Canine? Where on the label would I look for "All life stages "?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I wouldn't feed Science Diet or RC. Look for something on the label that says "This food has been certified by the AAFCO to be complete and balanced for all life stages." If your Shep/BC mix puppy is going to be a large dog, make sure your MAX calcium/phosphorus percentages are low enough for a large breed puppy.

I really like Precise Foundation as a good all life stages food.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't feed Science Diet or RC. Look for something on the label that says "This food has been certified by the AAFCO to be complete and balanced for all life stages." If your Shep/BC mix puppy is going to be a large dog, make sure your MAX calcium/phosphorus percentages are low enough for a large breed puppy.

I really like Precise Foundation as a good all life stages food.
Thanks. I will look we are pretty limited in choices here. I'm not sure what puppy is giong to be size wise. I think pretty small. I don't think there is shepherd in him. My old guy is a pb though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made a special trip in to Carson City today to visit a PetsMart, figuring they would have more options that the tractor supply. They didn't have
precise foundation. I did find the wellness that was suggested in a different thread. 78 dollars a bag. Yikes heart attack. :eek: I can't do that. :( They had a new science diet that is grain free, so I grabed a small bag of that to give a try. Also stopped at 2 feed stores on the way home. One had something called old chuck or something like that, that was high preformance and 18 dollars a bag. Didn't figure that was very good stuff, the other one had stopped carrying dog food completely. :shocked:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Have you looked at the Precise dealer locator? Precise Pet Products. The price on mine just went up to $45 for a 40lb bag. It was $39.99 for 40lb for a long time. You can even get it delivered through Pet Food Direct or similar.

PetSmart/PetCo are ripoffs.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<H4>Retailer Locator

No Retailers found within 50 miles of Nevada, USA
</H4>
This was as far as the search engine would let me go. So I put in my zip code, the Carson City zip code and the Reno Zip code, finally just put in the entire state, No luck. :(

I'm leary of ordering online. Our mail service is horrible. I ordered a Kindle from Amazon in February. It was sent from an Amazon warehouse in the next town over, less than an hours drive. It took 3 weeks for it to arrive.

I will try going to the tractor supply on Friday. I will post what they have and maybe you all can help me find a better food within my budget.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
If you get decent UPS that is who doggiefood.com uses and I have been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I will try going to the tractor supply on Friday. I will post what they have and maybe you all can help me find a better food within my budget.
Tractor Supply carries 4Health, Diamond Naturals, and Taste of the Wild. None are bad foods so far as ingredients go, but they're all made by Diamond and Diamond seems to be having a rough time with the recalls in the last few months.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its real name is not tractor supply its Big R I just thought it was a tractor supply (farming and ranching) type store. I've seen diamond products there as well as Nuterna and I can't remember all what else. I have gotten SD there as well. Everyone is so down on Science Diet I really wanted to see if there was something better, but 75 dollars for a 35 # bag of dog food, is not something I can realistically do, at least not while gas prices are so high. $4.00 a gallon is really difficult on the budget.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
When you read the labels, make sure there is no SOY, Wheat, Corn or By-products.
SD is such a cheap yet overpriced food I'm betting it is soy based.
Soy is used to boost protein levels in cheap dog food so they don't have to add real meat.
Soy is hard on dogs' digestive tracts and tends to give them gas and bloated stools.

**And I'd be wrong!

Chicken, Pea Protein Concentrate, Potato Starch, Dried Potato, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Lactic Acid, Cranberries, Apples, Peas, Carrots, Broccoli, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Taurine, Beta-Carotene, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract.
They do use Pea Protein concentrate however, to boost protein levels, peas are still not as bioavailable to a dog as an actual meat protein like Chicken. Chicken meal is in there (a meal of the muscle meat) but lower on the list. I'd say the bulk of the protein is a vegetable source and therefore not as bioavailable, but still perhaps a better food than Ol' Chuck or Ol' Roy ;)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you read the labels, make sure there is no SOY, Wheat, Corn or By-products.
SD is such a cheap yet overpriced food I'm betting it is soy based.
Soy is used to boost protein levels in cheap dog food so they don't have to add real meat.
Soy is hard on dogs' digestive tracts and tends to give them gas and bloated stools.

**And I'd be wrong!
Actually you are right. This is what I'm looking at for their new Ideal Balance ingredients. There is soy. No wheat or corn though.

Ingredients

Chicken, Whole Grain Wheat, Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Grain Oats, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Apples, Lactic Acid, Soybean Oil, Cranberries, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
pssstt...Whole grain WHEAT is the second ingredient. :)

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
Precise - Precise | PetFoodDirect.com

We order tripe for Banshee through here and their shipping is really fast. Just time it so they have free shipping or 15% off deal and it pays for the shipping. You also might want to check into the food Jamie sells. I like the look of it. Send her a PM (gsdraven) and ask her for the information.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait a second. I thought they were advertising grain free, and this has wheat? Now I'm even more confused. How can they say its grain free?...... Just looked at the bag. Ok I get it, I thought they were all grain free but this one just says natural grains. Grr... Why do they make this stuff so confusing? :cry:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Wait a second. I thought they were advertising grain free, and this has wheat? Now I'm even more confused. How can they say its grain free?...... Just looked at the bag. Ok I get it, I thought they were all grain free but this one just says natural grains. Grr... Why do they make this stuff so confusing? :cry:
Precise? No Precise doesn't advertise grain-free. It has no soy, wheat, corn, or byproducts but it does have rice. Rice is fine. If your dog has no issues with grains there's really no problem with feeding rice.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually I was talking about the small bag of Ideal Ballance, that I got to try. I haven't found Precise anywhere near me yet. :( I didn't see it on doggiefood.com and I am 5 days away on shipping from them. I still need to check the petfood direct link that was posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts