German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a food that is better quality than Nutro Natural Choice. Can anyone recommend anything? I have access to the foods at Petco and maybe a few others. I'd have the check a few of the small ma and pa pet stores.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I like Nature's Recipe Venison.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If petco is your only resource then Natural Balance is pretty decent stuff. My dog is has been on it for about 2 months - no shedding, no baths and no stink, no goober eyes. Stools are a bit large but turn white after a couple of days. Solid Gold seems to be good enough but it gave my dog the runs.
They just started stocking Wellness and it looks great but is EXPENSIVE.

Other then that Canidae is usually fairly modestly priced and lots of people on here have lots of success with it. I'm probably going to try it and rotate it with the Natural Balance. Canidae has a retail locater on their website and its usually not too hard to find a vet or groomer or the like that has it.

·
Super Moderator
7,338 Posts
the most common "step up" foods from nutro - i'd say are natural balance, canidae & chicken soup for dog lovers soul. they arent TOP quality, but definitely excellent quality with a great price! its actually cheaper than some of the nutro formulas.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
What is so wrong with Nutro? Isn't all of Natural Balance made by Dimond? Atleast that is what my vendor said - is he not telling the truth?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried Merrick and Royal Canin they didn't like it.. A manager at Petco gave us samples of Natural Balance Potato and Duck and they all chowed down, especially my picky eater. Will the duck and potato version be good for all life stages?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gunnersmum A manager at Petco gave us samples of Natural Balance Potato and Duck and they all chowed down, especially my picky eater. Will the duck and potato version be good for all life stages?
It is supposed to be good for All Life Stages.
The only things about the Potato and Duck are that it is low in protien, and fat.(Sometimes lower fat foods cause dogs to have dry skin and be "itchy".) Also you "might" have to feed a puppy a LOT of it.
Just looking at the "recommended feeding amounts" for instance it says for a puppy that weighs 40 to 60lbs, to feed 5 to 6 2/3 cups. That seems like a LOT to me. I can not immagine Siren (she is close to 40 lbs) having to eat 5 or 6 cups of food. (Course I wouldn't have to worry about it, because she WOULDN'T eat that much.)

Of course you may not need to feed that much to keep your puppy at the right weight, but then again you might have to feed more.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Also, you might want to stick to a food that isn't a "novel" protien. (Duck, venison, buffalo, fish ect...)

Because you are limiting the avaliable foods to try later if you have an "allergy dog".

Or are you currently trying to feed a dog with food allregies?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
How come you are deciding to switch from Nutro?

Choices at Petco - Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Pro Plan Selects, Wellness - but as mentioned above it is very expensive.

Natural Balance is a great food, mine loved it. But, it too is very pricey. When you add up 2 bags of dry food, can food and biscuits each month I'm spending more on that then I am groceries!!

·
Super Moderator
7,338 Posts
Originally Posted By: AnnaRileyWhat is so wrong with Nutro? Isn't all of Natural Balance made by Dimond? Atleast that is what my vendor said - is he not telling the truth?
nothing is wrong with it. there are just much better foods on the market that you can feed with little or no price difference. i'm not an expert on all (it seems) 30+ different varieties of food they make - but those i do know contain corn/corn by products, too many rice/rice by products and just not enough meat protein. canidae for instance has meat meal as the first 3 ingredients, where as most nutro formulas have 1 meat meal followed by rice this and corn that. know what i mean?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been very satisfied with Nutro but my boyfriend's dog has very bad allergies and he needs something with less grain products. At the same time, we want something that everyone will be able to eat. Yeah, I know, that may not happen. I just mentioned the Duck and Potato because it has no grain according to a sticky post.

·
Registered
478 Posts
**** Van Patten makes natural balance. diamond does not make it. the diamond facility cans for them, but that is it. the formulas are made by natural balance in their own facility. because having your own cannery is very expensive, most dry food companies that make canned food also outsource to someone who has a cannery to can their product. but diamond has nothing to do with the formula other then putting it in their cans. diamond does however make chicken soup and taste of the wild. i use natural balance ultra premium on all of my 5 dogs. i do mix some evo large bites in for my 11 year old shep/lab mix only because sometimes older dogs start to sap from their own protein and get that rickity look. since upping his protein a bit, he looks great. i just put my one pug/terrier mix and my goldie on the natural balance reduced cal because of their weight. i do the natural balance canned food also and the rolled. great product. all 5 of my dogs are healthy. i also do digestive enzymes called Nzymes and i use the Nupro Silver because of the ester c and msm.

nutro has been taken over by M&M Mars company. i'm sorry to say this, but everytime a big conglomerate corp which is involved in the human food chain the pet foods gets crapped up. they claim that you have to watch for this because a lot of the waste that is not fit for human consumption (the junk) gets thrown in the dog or cat food. they claim that they didn't change the formula, but alot of my customers dog's have started getting sick on it or simply refusing to eat it. maybe they know something we don't.

california natural by natura is also a good one if you can get it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm sold on Natural Balance. Greta had allergy and runny poop problems when she was a pup so we were continuously trying different kibble. After she started on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish everything cleared up (and an added bonus, she loved it). Within the last 9 months to a year, I switched her to Natural Balance ultra premium and everything is great. It may be a bit more pricey, but in my case it was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You know the Natural Balance dog food that's in the tube? I got a couple of samples of it last week, and I've been using it for treats, and the dogs are crazy over it!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: HalenYou know the Natural Balance dog food that's in the tube? I got a couple of samples of it last week, and I've been using it for treats, and the dogs are crazy over it!!
Probably because it is full of SUGAR
. Especially the Beef flavor. Sugar is the 3rd ingredient!

I'm NOT saying not to give it your dog, (in moderation of course). Just making "conversation".

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was super excited the other day when I saw that Petco started carrying Wellness products. That would be my first choice....I like the products and company...all very good quality and there are different options for protein sources. Their grain-free line (CORE) is higher priced, but their regular lines (Super 5, etc) aren't quite as much. I know a number of people who have seen very good results with this kibble.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kelsey, my Tessa (8 mo old fem) has been on Authority Dog Food. She was fed that by the breeder, so I kept her on it. She does shed quite a bit and doesn't seem to like it too much. I will be changing foods here shortly. Did your dog shed prior to the switch to Natural Balance?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts